Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive Request from certain IPs, what is this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Massive Request from certain IPs, what is this?

JRTechJRTech Member
edited May 2017 in Help

Hello,

Can someone explain to me, what happens with my server. In recent days, I've got massive request from certain IPs that causes my Load Average increase drastically (4.XX for 1 CPU) I am using Vultr $5/m)

This is access log file:

http://i.imgur.com/0fhOLID.png

I tried to block all IPs using UFW

ufw deny from 52.220.xx.xx
ufw deny from 52.221.xx.xx
ufw deny from 13.228.xx.xx
ufw deny from 13.228.xx.xx
etc...

But then I cannot access my site.

I am using Cloudflare free plan. If I activate "I am under attack" option, those requests are gone

Are the IPs belongs to Cloudflare network? I did a whois IP, and the result says that IPs are belongs to Amazon.

http://i.imgur.com/VP6eSO9.png

http://i.imgur.com/UwXhtsX.png

What am I supposed to do now?

Comments

• why you dont add a simple firewall like CSF, if they do too many request just get blocked.

and you will not see them again.

Thanked by 1JRTech
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Are they hitting a wp-login.php?

Francisco

Thanked by 1JRTech
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Someone might be...

• attacking your site
    • attacking the IP because they didn't like the previous user of that IP
    • misdirecting their lazer

But as @dedicados says, an active firewall like CSF is a good recommendation. CSF will only block abusive IPs.

Thanked by 3netomx JRTech Pwner
  • Your website/server is under attack and you should block those IP's in the firewall to avoid downtime. :)

Thanked by 1JRTech
  • sinsin Member

What webserver are you using? Most webservers will allow you to rate limit requests. Cloudflare has a list of the IPv4 and IPv6 that they use so just don't block those.

Thanked by 1JRTech
  • JRTechJRTech Member
    edited May 2017

Thanks guys, I install CSF and block those IPs.

The problem is solved.

My server is back to normal.

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited May 2017

Since those seem like AWS IPs I strongly suggest that you report them to AWS. The information on how to do that is available in the IP whois.
    whois 52.220.xx.xx

Account responsible for those IPs will receive EC2 abuse report and will have to explain itself to AWS support.

Help others save the headache you had )

Thanked by 3ucxo JRTech Host4Go
  • tuxtux Member

Take a snapshot and then recreate server with different IP using that snapshot.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@tux said:

it's one way to go , but be honest it's not really a good idea , you can't just hide and run away every time you got a problem.

Thanked by 2jar Pwner
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@qtwrk said:

@tux said:

it's one way to go , but be honest it's not really a good idea , you can't just hide and run away every time you got a problem.

You're always supposed to blame the provider and change to a new provider, then use the fact that the requests stop showing up in the logs at the new provider as confirmation that your previous provider was shit.

Repeat monthly.

Thanked by 2JahAGR Gamma17
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member

@jarland said:

@qtwrk said:

@tux said:

You're always supposed to blame the provider and change to a new provider, then use the fact that the requests stop showing up in the logs at the new provider as confirmation that your previous provider was shit.

Repeat monthly.

I'm sorry, did i do anything wrong here? What's all this about?
    Did i just offend you or what?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

qtwrk said: I'm sorry, did i do anything wrong here? What's all this about? Did i just offend you or what?

You did just now, actually. I'm extremely offended by your refusal to laugh at my joke.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@jarland said:

qtwrk said: I'm sorry, did i do anything wrong here? What's all this about? Did i just offend you or what?

You did just now, actually. I'm extremely offended by your refusal to laugh at my joke.

ha, ha , ha , that's really nice one

-_- !!!!!