Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turning an unmanaged server into a managed one?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Turning an unmanaged server into a managed one?

Hello, i remember i had a vps where i could manage it through a java vnc window even if my VPS had no internet connection.
But currently i own an unmanaged VPS so i cant do this anymore.

My question is: is there a way to set something like this on my current VPS? And how? Thanks

Comments

• r0xzr0xz Member

totally unrelated

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I don't think there's a way unless the hostnode / provider of your VPS provides the terminal

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

No possible if the Host doesnt provides VNC Console to the VPS

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • kazurengan said: even if my VPS had no internet connection

Server with no internet connection is an interesting idea.

Also, seems to me that the only way to manage a server is to get someone to do it.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited May 2017

@Ole_Juul said:

kazurengan said: even if my VPS had no internet connection

Also, seems to me that the only way to manage a server is to get someone to do it.

Unless you have VNC or similiar. I have done this many a time in the past. Can't say where I have done it but it is done in some circles.

• msg7086msg7086 Member

That's called console access, not manager.

Thanked by 2ucxo flatland_spider
  • @AuroraZ said:

@Ole_Juul said:

Unless you have VNC or similiar. I have done this many a time in the past. Can't say where I have done it but it is done in some circles.

I know you can install a VNC server in a VPS
    But my main goal here is to access it without an internet
    Connection

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@kazurengan said:

@AuroraZ said:

@Ole_Juul said:

I know you can install a VNC server in a VPS
    But my main goal here is to access it without an internet
    Connection

Unless the host node allows for it, not going to happen. You need your provider to give it to you, on the host node and enable it in the server panel software. Without that you will not have access to it at all.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited May 2017

It is called Console Access and Many OpenVZ providers now configure it for users from the get go. ImpactVPS and Ramnode have it and I can confirm this as a customer.

Openstack based providers will also have it out of the box. IntoVPS with their new openstack / flio based VPSs have this too.

Your title is absolutely misleading... I'd suggest you change it to "how to console access a VPS".

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Just like turning a man into a woman by working at a butcher?

• nepsneps Member

The title is super misleading.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • AuroraZ said: Unless you have VNC or similiar.

A VNC will not manage a server. It definitely takes a person to do that. When you pay for a managed server, it costs more because you're paying for a person to look after it for you.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • If you setup something like a private network between your VPSs (some providers offer this feature, e.g. BuyVM I believe), both VPS will be able to VNC into each other even without internet, so long as you use the private IP. If your main server falls offline, use the other one as a proxy.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@Ole_Juul said:

AuroraZ said: Unless you have VNC or similiar.

A VNC will not manage a server. It definitely takes a person to do that. When you pay for a managed server, it costs more because you're paying for a person to look after it for you.

I agree fully but not what the OP meant. The title is not a good one and needs updating, but of course no one will do it and this will sink to depths of obscurity.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul