Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long should it take to provision a VPS (Openvirtuals)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long should it take to provision a VPS (Openvirtuals)?

I just bought a VPS from openvirtuals.com using the promotional 20% off code from LET.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes a provision a VPS? My only previous experience was with ChicagoVPS and it was almost instant.

It has been 1.5 hours - I haven't gotten an email with my IP address or logon to SolusVM (maybe they took it down due to the vulnerabilities?) - I submitted a ticket an hour ago and got no response.

Was wondering if I am being overzealous on how long it should take - I thought it would be instant.

On the website I can access - it says my server is pending.

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Give them overnight, in my opinion.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

Most likely they'll have to manually create them for you. Some of the provider tends to do this to prevent fraud or whatever reason.

• fapvpsfapvps Member

The provider should indicate how long it takes to provision a VPS manually on the website. It is usually done within a few hour but could take up to 24. We provision manually and usually within hours but we say on our website that it could take up to 48 hours just in case it gets unexpectedly busy.

• Maybe it's due to SolusVM exploit, so they have to provision it manually now

• liquidiceliquidice Member
    edited June 2013

Thanks everyone for your responses!

They say in their FAQ that the provisioning is instant ...

http://www.openvirtuals.com/faq#templates

Do you offer Instant Activation?
    Yes. As soon as you purchase a Virtual you can ssh into it to build the system as you like, or you can click to install any of our pre-made templates and then customize it to your heart's content.

But - doesn't seem instant right now. Agree it could be related to the SolusVM exploit. Wish they had said something on their website if that was the case though - not a good first impression of their VPS service.

Possibly another VPS provider with bad communication? (ChicagoVPS I'm looking at you!). Maybe I need to suck it up and spend more money for a better provider. :)

• Ah - I submitted a ticket and Eric got back to me around 11pm Eastern (so 3 hours after I submitted my ticket). I was supposed to have used an FQDN when I typed in the hostname - so it didn't build automatically because of that. On openvirtuals where it asks for a hostname it says as an example: server1(.yourdomain.com) and the same for nameservers, so I thought you only needed to enter the servername and they would ask for your domain name somewhere else later. Oops. Everything is up now though!

• VPNVPN Member

That's a universal error on all WHMCS installations in my opinion. Because it has (your domain.com) in brackets in the same way it does for nameservers, it implies that you are only required to put the prefix. Don't worry, we've all done it at least once - anyone who claims otherwise must of just been lucky and guessed LOL.

• @liquidice

The reason for that is, in the R5 solusvm update they changed it so it had to be FQDN, then they changed it back about 6 hours later in R6 so it doesnt have to be FQDN, they are obviously still running R5

• @BenND pegged it. We were in R5. We've upgraded to the R6 patch, so the RQDN requirements are relaxed.

@liquidice: Sorry about the delay. And you're right about the communication. We'll make some changes to improve it.

-- Eric

• Thanks Eric - my VPS has been running great since it was provisioned. Nice and fast, no issues here and can't beat the price.