Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I broke the vps or a bug.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I think I broke the vps or a bug.

dontrix123dontrix123 Member
edited April 2017 in Help

So this is what happen:

I have a vps from hostsolutions unfortunately they don't have ubuntu16 so I decided to upgrade from 14-16 by changing the file from trust.. to xenial. I'm not sure what causes the problem, but first because when the popup ask the network interface during the upgrade, I input eth0 instead of venet0:0 (totaly wrong), I tried to reboot the server but Its not starting, I thought I broke the server and tried to reinstall it again and It works!. Past few days I decided to do the upgrade again from 14-16 and input the right network interface during the popup and It works perfectly. I downloaded 20gb file from my ftp server (using screen) and I'm happy because the transfer is fast. I reinstall again due to some error and do the download again.
After few days I receive an email that my service was suspended due to network abuse 500+mbps(W**). Was it wrong? I thought the provider limits the speed of each server so that all server will have fair network usage. I don't know where or what part i did was wrong (I tried to sent him a message but no response).

And I decided again to do the same thing with different server, different provider (I didn't do it twice). I upgraded from 14 - 16 (everything works 100%) and then I restarted the server and BOOM! its not booting.

Its using SolutionVM

Comments

• I do remember cociu said he wont support you upgrading. Also check your password was secure

• @GenjiSwitchPls said:
    I do remember cociu said he wont support you upgrading. Also check your password was secure

my password was secure

• The provider gives you a burst-able port it is up to you to not abuse it and be a dick

• You can't upgrade OpenVZ containers like this - it's not a bug, it's just how OpenVZ is.

(no apt-get dist-upgrade or do-release upgrade)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • So thats it, Sorry I didn't know it.

@jiggawattz said:
    You can't upgrade OpenVZ containers like this - it's not a bug, it's just how OpenVZ is.

(no apt-get dist-upgrade or do-release upgrade)

• SolusVM?

• He said multiple times that they don't support it.

• edited April 2017

It doesn't work - probably because kernel is too old. they are still running proxmox 3.x.

• jiggawattz said: apt-get dist-upgrade

This one really doesn't affect anything on most systems afaik

• cociucociu Member

@dontrix123

hello ,

first in all our orders we specif do not try to install 16. WTF i am idiot ? many users is not buy due of no centos 7 , debian 8 , ubuntu 15+ but ... in this offer i do not offer this template due of old kernel ... so you have not understand its your fault. You have opened tiket but clearly after 99999999 post here like we do not support this kind of template ... you will be the last in recive a response sorry ....

After abuse network .... yes is a full abuse because you have made continuous traffic (upload) not download with more than +500 mbps not for 1 hour , was for at least 12 hours http://imgur.com/a/fld4X

Now all this i hope to be clear and if you want to be our customer please in the future try to respect the others customers and not consume all speed for you because what you have payed was a shared port not a dedicated one.

I will unsuspend your vps (this is not usual for me so take it a good chanse) once i provide the last storage plan ... so you need to wait 2-3 days .

Thanks ,
    Marius

Thanked by 3netomx dontrix123 Fries
  • lionlion Member

Please mods close this thread.

• lion said: Please mods close this thread.

Why? And why do you ask for it? You are not the OP!

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @lion said:
    Please mods close this thread.

Lolwut? You serious? This isn't even your thread..

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • dontrix123 said: Was it wrong? I thought the provider limits the speed of each server so that all server will have fair network usage. I don't know where or what part i did was wrong

It's your responsibility not to abuse the server. If the provider limits the speed, then, you (as client) will not have the ability to use a better speed from time to time, when needed (downloading a backup, sending a file etc.). The best approach for a provider is to let the client use the full speed of a port for a short period of time but this cannot last a whole hour or, even more, 12 hours! So, take the opportunity cociu gives you to continue use his services and try not to be a d**ck!

• sinsin Member

jiggawattz said: You can't upgrade OpenVZ containers like this - it's not a bug, it's just how OpenVZ is.

Is that with just certain providers or ? I've upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 on a few of my OpenVZ plans and never had an issue, just had to disable some systemd services but that was it.

• @dontrix123

Congratulations! You are the 723rd to open a "I'm clueless and I don't read warnings even when they are written in boldface - and @cociu is to blame!" thread.

Your prize is a slightly predigested second hand burger. Enjoy.

• @sin said:

jiggawattz said: You can't upgrade OpenVZ containers like this - it's not a bug, it's just how OpenVZ is.

Is that with just certain providers or ? I've upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 on a few of my OpenVZ plans and never had an issue, just had to disable some systemd services but that was it.

My advice applies to OpenVZ in general, for any provider.

OpenVZ is essentially a hack that takes operating systems and replaces the standard kernel with a modified 2.6.32 kernel + sysv-init. If you're able to upgrade your OS while preserving everything OpenVZ needs - then it can and might work. But no provider recommends upgrading if you expect it to be reliable.

Thanked by 1dontrix123
  • Okay2.. It's clear that it is my mistake and I'm not blaming cocui. I didn't know it and I'm new to it. I'm just asking (as a customer). I just downloaded big files from server to my computer with 1mbps for more than a day (i didn't know it takes much upload speed).

@cociu , My apologies.

@jiggawattz Thanks for the explanation.

Mod close the thread.

• dontrix123 said: I just downloaded big files from server to my computer with 1mbps for more than a day (i didn't know it takes much upload speed).

This does not take much upload speed, in fact, it takes than 1mbps. You are doing something else to eat so much bandwidth. Did you install a torrent client to your server, to get the files you later want to download to your pc? If yes, leaving the torrent client open without limits, could lead to constant and huge traffic.

• Have you put a strong password on your VPS/FTP?
    Someone could download your files and cause that much traffic.

• dontrix123dontrix123 Member
    edited April 2017