Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USA - cheap or free cellphone provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

USA - cheap or free cellphone provider

Hi, I am usually at home and use Google voice to talk with my clients. However it turns out I will be on road next few weeks on and off.

I looked into freedom pop. It works on VoIP so of I don't get good coverage, it will be a problem...

I don't expect to use more than 200 minutes each month... Data is a plus... Not mandatory.. A handful of texts...

I have a couple of unlocked phones.. So any carrier is OK... Any thoughts on a service which is near free?

Thanks

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited April 2017

Few of them. If you have GSM/AT&T, you can get a $10/mo deal from a MVNO (their $5/mo plan is no longer available).

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

I have used and still use at time FreedomPop services. They have a few options to pick from they have the global sim card that uses both AT&T/T-mobile, then they now have a LTE Sim Card that uses AT&T network only, and then they still have 4G on Sprint Network. So depending on which service you get with them the coverage is great. With the sim cards from Freedompop all you will need is a unlocked phone.

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited April 2017

I pay $20 a month with NetTalk Connect - A T-Mobile provider. Unlimited Talk and Text with 10 GB data.

I could not find that deal anymore but you can search for it. However, they have now:

NetTalk Connect Wireless (T-mobile MVNO) offers 3-month service of Unlimited Talk, Text, and 10GB LTE Data + Unlocked Nuu X4 dual-sim smartphone for $135! That's 55% off the regular price for service and phone!

After the initial 3-month service, your monthly service plan will be $35 (over 22% off the regular monthly plan).

That's $35/month of T-mobile service:

• Unlimited Talk
    • Unlimited Text
    • 10 GB LTE Data
    • Unlimited music & video streaming without using your data (such as YouTube, NetFlix, HBO NOW, Hulu, Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio, and others)
    • Extended Coverage- Unlimited international talk & text within the US, Canada, Mexico & Puerto Rico
    • Unlimited international data & text in 140+ countries
    • Free Wi-Fi calling
    • 4G data rollover - unused 4G data rolls over to the next month
    • No annual contracts - no credit check

Check here for more details about the PROMO DEAL [nettalkconnect.com] for new customers small business customer (easy for individuals to signup).

For new customers or additional line for existing customers.

*PS Human Tech Support is very slow if you have to manually port your number-- otherwise their automatic number porting is relatively fast.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited April 2017

There was an AD on LTT from Ting dot com. Sort of cheap if you know your usage beforehand.

Like one line 500 minutes 1000 text no data is $20.

• @msg7086 said:
    There was an AD on LTT from Ting dot com. Sort of cheap if you know your usage beforehand.

Like one line 500 minutes 1000 text no data is $20.

Ting seems cheap but can get expensive very quickly. I do not recommend their service as I was a previous customer.

• $11.67 a month if you purchase 3 months. T-Mobile MVNO

https://www.mintsim.com/plans/

Thanked by 1willie
  • WSSWSS Member

So, do you have a GSM phone, or not?

• Cant imagine not using data......I am currently with Google Fi which costs me around 35 each month.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • Pretty sure FreedomPop is LET's preferred provider.

• FreedomPoP is cool and all if it works in your area, which it does not in mine. I tried TotalWireless 25 a month unlimited talk/text no data, Verizon Network. Finally went Straightalk 45 unlimited everything on the Verizon Network.

• plumberg said: on road next few weeks

I'd suggest Verizon because of better coverage. It will probably cost more. They had a $15/month prepaid plan with 300 combined minutes/texts but I don't know if they offer it any more.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • If you have an unlocked Sprint phone, tello.com might be a good option. 200 Minutes, 200 tests, and no data is $7/mo.

Just be aware that the taxes might add another $0.75 (or so) a month.

• @WSS said:
    Few of them. If you have GSM/AT&T, and an elderly relative, you can get a $10/mo deal from a MVNO (their $5/mo plan is no longer available).

Hmm.. Which mnvo is this?

• @dedipromo said:
    Cant imagine not using data......I am currently with Google Fi which costs me around 35 each month.

I already have my data with another personal line. So I just need minutes and a few texts

• @goinsj2010 said:
    If you have an unlocked Sprint phone, tello.com might be a good option. 200 Minutes, 200 tests, and no data is $7/mo.

Just be aware that the taxes might add another $0.75 (or so) a month.

Have a spare old nexus 5 which works pith Sprint... Will check...

• WSSWSS Member

@plumberg said:

@WSS said:
    Few of them. If you have GSM/AT&T, and an elderly relative, you can get a $10/mo deal from a MVNO (their $5/mo plan is no longer available).

Hmm.. Which mnvo is this?

Actually, their non-gentrifed base plan is also $10 now.

• @AuroraZ said:
    FreedomPoP is cool and all if it works in your area, which it does not in mine. I tried TotalWireless 25 a month unlimited talk/text no data, Verizon Network. Finally went Straightalk 45 unlimited everything on the Verizon Network.

I already use freedom pop. But as I am on the road I cannot always get good data... Hence something which can offer around 200 minutes all be perfect..

• WSS said: If you have GSM/AT&T, and an elderly relative, you can get a $10/mo deal

What's the elderly relative for?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited April 2017

@Ole_Juul said:

WSS said: If you have GSM/AT&T, and an elderly relative, you can get a $10/mo deal

What's the elderly relative for?

They used to have a $5/mo plan for seniors where minutes would roll over, but they've since discontinued it. I forgot to update my post. :)

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • jadenjaden Member

Republic Wireless might work. $15/month for unlimited talk and text. Data is extra. No contract.

• If compatible, Project fi could also be an option ($20/mo Unlimited talk/text).

Acording to Google, you'll get the 'best coverage'

• Cheap or free? USA has a free mobile operator?

• jenkki said: USA has a free mobile operator?

Yes, but they operate in the shadows.

• Ole_Juul said: Yes, but they operate in the shadows.

How they do that? Own towers? :) Which reason do that free? Advertising, sponsoring, etc?

• jenkki said: Which reason do that free?

There are a number of shadow "operators" such as the NSA, and you pay for them through your taxes.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2017

@Ole_Juul said:

jenkki said: Which reason do that free?

There are a number of shadow "operators" such as the NSA, and you pay for them through your taxes.

I think that @jenkki was having a brain fart. :p

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • Justin417Justin417 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

Freedompop is decent, but their VoIP stinks.

I'd recommend US Mobile https://usmobile.com/

Very similar to Ting's pricing model but cheaper, have been using them for about 8 months now and very satisfied with their support response time.

Also I forgot to mention, they offer a free 100 GB VPN subscription to Windscribe when you sign up!

• @plumberg

Do not use the freedompop app, it drains your battery and the voice does suck (esp if your on the road)

I think freedompop is a good option once you download a different voip client and use a different voip provider. You lose your freedompop number but I read articles a while ago that it is worth it,

• Justin417 said:

I'd recommend US Mobile https://usmobile.com/

I ordered a Mintsim 3 month small plan, thanks to the person further up who mentioned them. It seems like a better deal than US Mobile.

• IonSwitchIonSwitch Member, Host Rep

I'd recommend looking through this list of MVNOs, which are essentially resellers of one of the big 4. Shows prices, reviews, what carriers they use, etc. https://bestmvno.com/