Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which mailserver stack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which mailserver stack?

Hello,

Just looking for the feedback from the community to compile a list of all GOOD, reliable options for mailservers to host multiple domains for end users.

Please include the price if applicable.

Comments

• I'll start the list off with https://mailinabox.email/ - FREE.

• WSSWSS Member

Postfix.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • WSSWSS Member

OpenSMTPd

• postfix+dovecot+spamassassin

• Sorry if I was not clear, but something with a web interface for management.

• WSSWSS Member

MXroute

• aaraya1516aaraya1516 Member
    edited April 2017

@rajprakash said:
    postfix+dovecot+spamassassin

I'll second this suggestion. It's free as well.

Edit: use a distributed filesystem with a proxy as well.

• @WSS said:
    MXroute

This is not self-managed.

• WSSWSS Member

@joshuah said:

@WSS said:
    MXroute

Obviously, you've never fucking looked at it.

• I've set up mailcow a couple of times. It's quite nice.

https://mailcow.email/

• +1 for mailinabox. Pretty solidstack and the DNS handling is pretty smart. However, you have to sacrifice the possibility of clustering.

• joshuahjoshuah Member
    edited April 2017

@WSS said:

@joshuah said:

@WSS said:
    MXroute

Unless you are speaking about a different place? https://mxroute.com/

• WSSWSS Member

@joshuah said:

@WSS said:

@joshuah said:

@WSS said:
    MXroute

Unless you are speaking about a different place? https://mxroute.com/

Yes, I'm being a jerk- but you don't have to use their online services. You can use them for transit only- which helps you keep the IP space clean for your MX. You can still host your own web-based/etc MUA.

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

SmarterMail and Zimbra

• mailcow all the way its an great emailstack

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

I also use mailcow, love it, no complaints.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

we use Zimbra 100% easier to setup and maintain than exchange 2016 which we have licenses for as well. and plus zimbra has a open source edition which is free.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

How is iRedMail not mentioned yet?

Thanked by 1cassa
  • Just tried mailinabox.. looked great! However, only supports ONE domain name.

• @jarland said:
    How is iRedMail not mentioned yet?

iredmail never tried it but love to hear your take on it our Email god

• joshuah said: However, only supports ONE domain name.

You're misinformed. It supports unlimited domain names.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

simonindia said: iredmail never tried it but love to hear your take on it

One of the best around. Has SOGo bundled with it. Excellent control panel. Solid spam filtering. Very well documented, easy to fix if it breaks.

• @joshuah said:
    Just tried mailinabox.. looked great! However, only supports ONE domain name.

Shouldn't be the case. Simply add a mail address ending in another domain name such that the new domain name will be automatically added.

• @joshuah, if you're looking for a turnkey solution, there are Mail-in-a-box, iRedMail, Mailcow, Modoboa and probably some others, but these ones are mature.

Mail-in-a-box is cool, it has convenient web-panel for DNS configuration, certificates and other stuff, but there aren't any mail server configuration. You can't tune any email-related parameters. For example, you can't configure greylisting timeout.

iRedMail can't easily be updated. Sometimes you need to perform manual database scheme modifications and other stuff, need to read changes between versions.

Didn't test others.

• I'm using VestaCP. Not dedicated for email, but I like the UI. You can also disable non-used feature like apache, mysql, etc.

• WSSWSS Member

@sanvit said:
    I'm using VestaCP. Not dedicated for email, but I like the UI. You can also disable non-used feature like apache, mysql, etc.

Or, ya know, you could learn how it fucking works to some degree and do your job.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • cassacassa Member

@WSS said:

@sanvit said:
    I'm using VestaCP. Not dedicated for email, but I like the UI. You can also disable non-used feature like apache, mysql, etc.

Or, ya know, you could learn how it fucking works to some degree and do your job.

wat

• WSSWSS Member

@cassa said:

@WSS said:

@sanvit said:

wat

it's a dick pic

• k0nslk0nsl Member

GoPistolet looked interesting at a glance but it fails your requirement. But iRedMail has always been a solid solution wherever I needed to deploy something for more than something personal, because I have always had nothing but a good experience from using their project. As for non-critical, I typically go with mailcow. I like that too, with the exception of seemingly going all-out docker. Maybe I am just too damn old fashioned and reluctant about new changes ;)

• WSSWSS Member

I like pie. Cake is also good, but sometimes it comes with shitty frosting. That said, it's hard to have a bad pie, but then again, it isn't completely improbable. Sometimes I like to go out to the sea, and then I will often surf naked.