Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burst RAM or VSwap for Java
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Burst RAM or VSwap for Java

Hi everyone, I was looking at a couple of LEB OVZ offers and I found 2 at the exact same price and specs, But one has Burst RAM while the other has Vswap. I've heard Vswap artificially slows down the memory however I've heard Burst RAM is terrible for Java. I plan on running a heavy java application (AKA minecraft server) so which one will be better for me?

Comments

• johnjohn Member

vSwap

• zfedorazfedora Member
    edited June 2013

vSwap will work much better w/ Java - http://openvz.org/VSwap

Thanked by 1JonathanZhang
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

vSwap slows memory down to warn you are over the limit.
    It also mimics real swap so many applications which expect swap will perform better.
    One thing to take care, never fill it ! The cpu will skyrocket and the host will likely take you down for abuse.

• vswap is too bad do not use

for tomcat do not use openvz use kvm it's better really

• None, you don't want to rely on burst OR vswap when using java.

• VSwap is the way to go with Java. It works fine.

• @taronyu said:
    None, you don't want to rely on burst OR vswap when using java.

Yes but in the event I have to, which one will preform better when it comes to Java?

• @heyits_bob VSwap will. It works. You won't get strange things that happen like with Burst.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2013

@zfedora said:
    vSwap will work much better w/ Java - http://openvz.org/VSwap

Actually Java doesn't work at all with Burst, assuming by burst you mean the old Centos5 OpenVZ memory system. Unless you think Java taking up your entire VPS memory even though it's doing nothing because it thinks it has all the node memory available to it as 'working'.

With vSwap the problem is solved. It works just fine.

• @sman said:
    With vSwap the problem is solved. It works just fine.

Which is exactly what I meant ;)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

vswap

but the .18 ones seems more stable.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2013

@jcaleb said:
    vswap

but the .18 ones seems more stable.

I ran all CentOS 5 OpenVZ or what I am assuming you are calling .18 and upgraded them all to CE6. They are MUCH more stable. At least that was my experience. CE6 OpenVZ has been rock solid for awhile now. With 5 or the .18 kernel version I had problems with random reboots, crashes, sometimes the network interface would just stop working. On some servers that would happen at least once a month. Since updating to CE6 that all went away. They just work. No more being woken up in the middle of the night by Nagios.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Lucky !
    I think .32 is more unstable, but things have improved from, say, 1 year ago.
    Still, the latest patch was a bit problematic, hopefully is back stable now and the 127.0.0.1 bug seems gone too.

• Just a little update here, I've decided to get the plan with VSwap, I will see how it goes. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Which host you chose?

• @jcaleb said:
    Which host you chose?

UGVPS. I had a very good experience with them so I'll be ordering yet another one from them :)