Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New OVZ/KVM VPS Control Panel Project
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New OVZ/KVM VPS Control Panel Project

After latest SolusVM issues, I've been getting lots of emails and messages regarding our Backupsy control panel. A lot of people asked me if I can rent my solution to them. Well, our API and WHMCS module is only designed for KVM and for our needs and it's not in a state to be published since lots of things like installation and configuration is being done by hand at the moment. There is no easy way to deploy and it depends on 3rd party tools.

Our control panel uses Proxmox as the main backend. Utilizes PXE + kickstart/preseed scripts to do automated installations and uses monitoring tools for RAM, CPU, Network usage.

I've been thinking to recode the entire thing having other providers' needs in mind and creating an API that interacts with Proxmox + our tools. Since it already has the proxmox as an UI, the rest can be done in WHMCS. This eliminates the 2 control panel need and provides comfortable UI for the end users.

The idea I have would take lots of development time and I'd need to hire a couple of people to work with me while I'm managing them. And together we can build a rock solid, secure VPS control panel together in a time of 4-6 months.

What I need from providers who interested in contributing this project a recurring payment each month till the development is done. If I can find at least 50-60 people contributing ~$150-200 each month, I'd like to give this project a go and then in return license these contributors the software for free while renting it to others.

Let me know if you are interested.

Comments

• Will you be able create a migration script? Make it a drop in Solus replacement instead of wiping/rebuilding everything and I am in.

• @seriesn said:
    Will you be able create a migration script? Make it a drop in Solus replacement instead of wiping/rebuilding everything and I am in.

Since Proxmox uses Wheezy, drop in replacement won't work, however, yes I can create an easy migration script.

• @serverian said:
    Since Proxmox uses Wheezy, drop in replacement won't work, however, yes I can create an easy migration script.

AH! Almost forgot about that. Proxmox is Debian exclusive.

• support123support123 Member
    edited June 2013

Looks great.so source code will be shared with contributing providers?

• @ftpit said:
    Looks great.so source code will be shared with contributing providers?

Yes, full source code will be provided.

• bobbybobby Member

Nothing but good things to say about your backupsy cp. Much, much better than Solus.

• Why so much money?!?

• @Spencer said:
    Why so much money?!?

Because it's not a half-assed summer project done by kids.

• @serverian said:

Fair enough

• DerekDerek Member

Seems more like a scam then anything....

• Sounds interesting. We share the same passion for KVM with serverian, so I trust it's going to be an amazing product.

Let's draft a plan and see how many other providers are interested.

• @Derek said:

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion. We all love you.

• bobbybobby Member

@Derek said:

Lol.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Spencer said:
    Why so much money?!?

@Spencer - I think that the Backupsy pricing is beyond fair.

• I wonder if it would be better to fund this Kickstarter style.

• @Zen said:
    If you are basing it on an API solution (Proxmox, etc) then I do not think the price is right. But if you are building a standalone solution that can use bare metal virtualization at an enterprise level with support for multiple OS then the price is fine.

But it has to be good, we're talking about enterprise levels - $72k should be able to buy you that. And with that in mind, it may out grow typical VPS' providers - you need to get a fine balance between charging too much and offering too little.

If this is on top of the proxmox API, I highly recommend that the host would take that $200/mo over 6 months, and spend it on some smaller project to provide their own WHMCS module using the API.

I have to agree with this.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Zen said:
    If you are basing it on an API solution (Proxmox, etc) then I do not think the price is right. But if you are building a standalone solution that can use bare metal virtualization at an enterprise level with support for multiple OS then the price is fine.

But it has to be good, we're talking about enterprise levels - $72k should be able to buy you that. And with that in mind, it may out grow typical VPS' providers - you need to get a fine balance between charging too much and offering too little.

If this is on top of the proxmox API, I highly recommend that the host would take that $200/mo over 6 months, and spend it on some smaller project to provide their own WHMCS module using the API.

I concur, I think Zen just put it nicely. I'd say that doing something via the Proxmox API is fairly easy and doesn't require much effort and not worth it at that price point because it can be done by yourself. Bare metal, then we're talking.

• bobbybobby Member

All those smaller open source control panels announced here have stood still and are going nowhere it seems.

OP has a working ace one in production to show for, even if based on API.

+1 for this

• serverianserverian Member
    edited June 2013

@Zen said:

Well, if this would be just based on the API then there is already a solution for that which is far from stable and lack of features. The project I have in mind is not something purely based on Proxmox since you cannot build a working solution that would satisfy needs of people who have been working with SolusVM.

I don't want to produce something quick and dirty. I want to produce a solution that uses Proxmox (also considering Ganeti) as a tool to take advantage of their stable environment than trying to reinvent America, rather than purely being based on it.

• colmcolm Member

From a user's perspective having only one panel to deal with would be great!

How would this compare to http://www.whmcs.com/appstore/517/Proxmox-Full-Automation.html?

• awsonawson Member

I think it's a cool idea, but not enough to be worth +$6000 for a month of development.

• Sounds like a great idea. We need more security around here...

• "If I can find at least 50-60 people contributing ~$150-200 each month"

Really? just wow...

• alexalex Member

There was a guy on WHT working similar "project" asking people for donations. needless to say he vanished after few months of subsidizing his work. if you think it's such a great idea, why don't you fund it yourself? I don't believe in this at all.

• This project idea was directed at the providers since I've been getting lots of requests. There are great opposite comments from experienced and intelligent people like @Zen. However, other comments reminded me that most of the people don't have even an idea how much software development costs.

I'm in touch with providers who are supporting it and it reached over 10 now. I won't be discussing here. @Liam @Infinity, please close the thread.

This discussion has been closed.