Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Control panel suggestions for virtualized containers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Control panel suggestions for virtualized containers

10men10men Member

LET'ers,
The radio station software [1] I'd like to use suggests running each station in a container. I have a VPS with 1GB of ram and 1 core and would like to run 3 containers all with memory usage of less than 200MB each, and I can run minimal Debian installs in each. I understand my VPS isn't very powerful, but I expect a low amount of users.

What free/FOSS control panel for virtual servers would you suggest for a beginner administrator?

I've installed ProxMox via commandline and gui to get some experience, and I've done some research, but I'm struggling to understand which would be the best choice:

ProxMox
VMmanager
Ovirt http://www.ovirt.org/download/

[1] Airtime, from Sourcefabric.org

Thanks!

Comments

• YuraYura Member

Proxmox is great and all but you are trying to run it on a relatively small VPS, this is a nested virtualization you should try to avoid. It is also not the best option for your use case.

I would suggest you to run lxc containers inside your VPS. Manage it via in built commands.

If you actually read the Ovirt page you linked to, it says Ovirt needs at least 4GB RAM. Your VPS has 1GB. You don't need ovirt to manage multiple instances of your application in separate containers.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Openvz and openvz web panel

Thanked by 1rocket
  • You could try using docker containers. 1GB is really tight tho. Expect 50-100mb of ram overhead per container, plus you need another one as a proxy to direct traffic to your 3 containers. might be able to just fit, but i'd suggest going for more ram