Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEnd VPS + WooCommerce ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEnd VPS + WooCommerce ?

mi5h0mi5h0 Member

Hi, I am looking for a setup that can run Wordpress + WooCommerce without any issue. Anyone running WooCommerce?
I am struggling to find the best hosting setup. I do not want shared hosting. I want VPS hosting with decent resources, great loading speeds, and space for growth. I have read so many forums and webpages advocating for this service vs that service, and it's hard to distinguish the paid vs unpaid recommendations.
The other problem is that I'm limited with startup funds so I can not afford a managed wordpress hosting service. I want to try to build everything from scratch.

Are there any recommended (verified) configuration for an ideal WooCommerce performance. I just need a couple of suggestions, so I can explore it further. Something like: which web server, opcode cache, page caching, CDN, ideal MySQL settings etc.

My idea is to start with a 2MB VPS and gradually increasing resources if needed. Will this be enough for WooCommerce with about 1,000 skus and a daily visit of up to 200 unique?
Of course, I would like to achieve load time of as little as possible.

I would really appreciate any help or input.

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2017

2MB VPS? Did you mean 2GB?

• mi5h0mi5h0 Member

@doghouch said:
    2MB VPS? Did you mean 2GB?

Yeah, I guess that 2MB would be too little ;)

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Here's the thing about woocommerce. Like any other PHP+MySQL self-hosted ecommerce solution, it grows slower and slower over time as you build up its database.

Pick any VPS host, take regular backups, you can throw a baseball and hit 15 hosts that will be fine for this...for now. But if you're looking to outrun performance issues with woocommerce, you're most likely going to find that they follow you everywhere. Installing a new stack and a fresh setup can, in itself, improve performance for a time which tends to be used as confirmation that each host is better than the last.

What you really need is a better ecommerce solution. I don't have one, I just know what isn't good. Woocommerce and magento are the ones I'm well experienced in watching degrade over time. There's a magento enterprise that may scale better, and there are also ecommerce as a service solutions. Shopify is one I know a lot of people who use.

• BopieBopie Member

@jarland explains it perfectly but if you do want to go ahead OP i would recommend that you get a VPS and install CentMinMod as it has an easy to use auto installer for WordPress and is very well optimized :)

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    Here's the thing about woocommerce. Like any other PHP+MySQL self-hosted ecommerce solution, it grows slower and slower over time as you build up its database.

Pick any VPS host, take regular backups, you can throw a baseball and hit 15 hosts that will be fine for this...for now. But if you're looking to outrun performance issues with woocommerce, you're most likely going to find that they follow you everywhere. Installing a new stack and a fresh setup can, in itself, improve performance for a time which tends to be used as confirmation that each host is better than the last.

What you really need is a better ecommerce solution. I don't have one, I just know what isn't good. Woocommerce and magento are the ones I'm well experienced in watching degrade over time. There's a magento enterprise that may scale better, and there are also ecommerce as a service solutions. Shopify is one I know a lot of people who use.

This is all good advice. There are a number of providers that offer "managed woocommerce hosting". If your goal is specifically to run an e-store, using a service like that may be better for you than just getting a low end VPS and running the website yourself.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited April 2017

mi5h0 said: My idea is to start with a 2MB VPS and gradually increasing resources if needed. Will this be enough for WooCommerce with about 1,000 skus and a daily visit of up to 200 unique? Of course, I would like to achieve load time of as little as possible.

2GB seems like a reasonable starting point. You could possibly go for less, but for the minimal additional expense, you're on the ball.

In regards to speeding things up, the goal is to have everything as close as possible to the potential customers, so choose your server location wisely.
    Beyond that, it's a standard case of caching everything possible - I personally like Redis for caching. Holding as much in RAM as possible seems to do well, especially in shared environments. When looking at a CDN, ensure the provider you're going for has a POP near the potential customers.

MySQL, at this stage, isn't much of an annoyance. Download mysqltuner.pl and run it once every few days to make sure there isn't a bottleneck in the settings.

At 200 views/day, that should do you just fine. If the site gets busy though, that's when things get a little more interesting.

EDIT: Oh and I'm totally with @Bopie. Centminmod is a fantastic starting base. Can't fault it. Easyengine.io isn't so bad either.

• mi5h0mi5h0 Member
    edited April 2017

@jarland said:

>

With this I agree completely. It's not entirely clear why it's so ...

I have my tactic for this. From time to time recreate the entire site from scratch (export only essential data and re-import it to a new installation). I know it's not ideal but it's cheaper than paid management.

I gave up on magento before version 2 came out. I know it's better than the woocommerce but... back then it was pain in the but to keep it up to date.

• mi5h0mi5h0 Member

@Bopie said:
    @jarland explains it perfectly but if you do want to go ahead OP i would recommend that you get a VPS and install CentMinMod as it has an easy to use auto installer for WordPress and is very well optimized :)

This is great information. Thank you

• YuraYura Member

200 visits per day... You can get away with anything that runs WooCommerce because there is basically no load. But if load will grow you will either regret running e-commerce on Wordpress or have other people manage it. Not that it would run better, you just get someone to be pissed at.

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited April 2017

Magento seems to be a faster and cheaper alternative than woocommerce. With all the hacking of Wordpress I would be hesitant with this solution. However, you can get free open source software that would cost thousands of dollars. Some of the free programs that I am implementing or testing.

Orocrm https://www.orocrm.com
    Akeneo https://www.akeneo.com/
    Nexterp https://erpnext.com/

Centminmod is the absolute fastest webstack on the planet and it is opensource. http://centminmod.com/ Also you can make Magento even faster with redis and other performance enchancements that are already set up in centminmod.

Magento 1 Configuration Files

https://community.centminmod.com/threads/configuration-centmin-mod-with-magento.2142/

Akeneo Pim

https://community.centminmod.com/threads/akeneo-pim-with-nginx-and-php-7-on-lemp-stack-centmin-mod.10849/

Magento 2
    https://community.centminmod.com/threads/updated-magento-2-nginx-directives-for-magento-2-15.10975/

Magento 1 also has a vast lot of plugins and mods that are available via composer. http://packages.firegento.com/ This will help with continuous integration and would be the best and low cost option available today. God bless you!

• you can look into opencart or prestashop also

• mi5h0mi5h0 Member

@mgilang said:
    you can look into opencart or prestashop also

I've heard good things about prestashop. I have not been able to find performance-related comparisons anywhere. For opencart, I read somewhere that the code is mess and that there is a single developer behind it. I do not know if that is true.