Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider Forum for abuse etc
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider Forum for abuse etc

azzavpsazzavps Member
edited June 2013 in General

Hi
other than LET, are there any good forums focused to vps providers and in particular dealing with and listing abuse based users/ip's
I know most LEB providers will go through period of customers spamming etc, but I cant find a site focused on the sharing of information regarding customers and the ones to perhaps aviod.

Cheers

Comments

• So you're saying that you want to share customer information, publicly?

Ha. Haha. Hahahaha.

• No, im just wondering is there a way to share information to help stop other LEB providers getting it, without breaching any privacy laws.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

If I may borrow @DomainBop words: I just added you to my provider blacklist (i.e. "provider blacklist" = "providers I won't do business with").
    And no, I am not abuser.

• johnjohn Member

So something like FraudRecord?

• fapvpsfapvps Member

If you have a privacy policy that that says you will not share with anyone other then for billing purposes then you can't do it unless you want to break your word so to speak...

• @fapvps said:
    If you have a privacy policy that that says you will not share with anyone other then for billing purposes then you can't do it unless you want to break your word so to speak...

And law depending on jurisdiction

• good point
    however there are some legal cases where this does not apply....

@fapvps said:

• Fraudrecord?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@azzavps what legal cases? Are you lawyer? I couldn't find at your page any imprint. Your domain is hidden behind proxy... Can you tell us more about your company? Yes as LEB blog reader I saw something about CompleteHost.co.nz from NZ, address from UK and LCC from US, but those are just words at some blog not from your pretty much anonymous website. It's enough dangerous how those home baked part-time anonymous hosts collect their clients data not to mention then tendencies to share them with others the way it suit them.

btw. Strange to see you featured at LEB twice this year as newcomer with hidden domain whois.

• @Spirit said:
    azzavps what legal cases? Are you lawyer? I couldn't find at your page any imprint. Your domain is hidden behind proxy... Can you tell us more about your company? Yes as LEB blog reader I saw something about CompleteHost.co.nz from NZ, address from UK and LCC from US, but those are just words at some blog not from your pretty much anonymous website. It's enough dangerous how those home baked part-time anonymous hosts collect their clients data not to mention then tendencies to share them with others the way it suit them.

btw. Strange to see you featured at LEB twice this year as newcomer with hidden domain whois.

when I was talking about legal cases I was refering to police/other agency requests for user information, why get so aggressive?

Hidden behind a proxy? your mistaken again i think there pal.

I think your just trying to cause some drama, Azzavps has been tried and tested pretty well, we have learnt so maybe you need to lay off and relax abit.

so as advised, take a big deep breath and just be cool...

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

Hidden behind a proxy? your mistaken again i think there pal.

Directly from your domain registrar website, pal:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: AZZAVPS.COM
    Created on: 16-Apr-13
    Expires on: 16-Apr-14
    Last Updated on: 01-Jun-13

Registrant:
    Domains By Proxy, LLC

DomainsByProxy.com
    14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration [email protected]
    Domains By Proxy, LLC
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
    Private, Registration [email protected]
    Domains By Proxy, LLC
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.AZZAVPS.COM
    NS2.AZZAVPS.COM

when I was talking about legal cases I was refering to police/other agency requests for user information, why get so aggressive?

No you did not. Your question was clear: I cant find a site focused on the sharing of information regarding customers and the ones to perhaps aviod.

Azzavps has been tried and tested pretty well, we have learnt so maybe you need to lay off and relax abit.

Again lie. You just started VPS hosting business two months ago.

• Thats only my whois information? what did you need to know?
    you already seem to know alot about me.

again, why so aggressive?

I asked what i though was a fair question to other providers and you need to attack?

I dont think anyone else see's the benefit in you trying to bring me down.

@Spirit said:

@Spirit said:

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@azzavps said:
    Thats only my whois information?

Yes that's ONLY azzavps.com "company" information. Your "company" online appearance is completely anonymous.

again, why so aggressive?

I explained: It's enough dangerous how those home baked part-time anonymous hosts collect their clients data not to mention then tendencies to share them with others the way it suit them.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

You can not do it without breaking customer trust and possibly some laws depending on where you are. It's just a thing you don't do.

As for the whois, most people here see having a private whois as you trying to hide your identity. If you are running a legitimate business you should not need or want to hide.

Hope that cleared some stuff up for you.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited June 2013

Isn't this against LEN rule that you can not promote anything if you are >2 year and have hidden whois?

@infinity @liam ?

Edit : And @Spirit and @mpkoseen.

• As for the whois, most people here see having a private whois as you trying to hide your identity. If you are running a legitimate business you should not need or want to hide.

I can't think of one valid reason why a business would need to hide their WHOIS but I can think of a few reasons not to hide your company's WHOIS starting with the big one "trust": Hidden WHOIS makes customers trust your business less which means they are less likely to use your services. All of my company's domains have had public WHOIS since we started 15 years ago and it has never created any problems (well, except for the occasional axe murderer who finds our WHOIS and tries to kill us :P)

• I wasn't suggesting sharing direct information.. i was throwing an idea out there as to how a vps provider might protect themselves from these vps hoppers that use them fort spam etc.

Anayway there are lots of good options like maxmind etc anyway

we are all on the same side here. I take customers information very seriously , and also take the safety of other peoples information when spam/hack/etc by a vps on one of my servers.

I also dont think its fair that you refer to AzzaVps as home baked... you know nothing about our infrastructure so should really keep your angry little comments to yourself.

@Spirit said:
    I explained: It's enough dangerous how those home baked part-time anonymous hosts collect their clients data not to mention then tendencies to share them with others the way it suit them.

• True, as i said just throwing the idea out there.

As for the whois. were going to remove the privacy, it was just a process that we went through, was not to hide thats for sure.

SO as i said, the privacy will be removed!!

@trewq said:
    You can not do it without breaking customer trust and possibly some laws depending on where you are. It's just a thing you don't do.

As for the whois, most people here see having a private whois as you trying to hide your identity. If you are running a legitimate business you should not need or want to hide.

Hope that cleared some stuff up for you.

• haha its the axe murderer that i was worried about!

no in fairness as i said were going to remove it.

@DomainBop said:
    I can't think of one valid reason why a business would need to hide their WHOIS but I can think of a few reasons not to hide your company's WHOIS starting with the big one "trust": Hidden WHOIS makes customers trust your business less which means they are less likely to use your services. All of my company's domains have had public WHOIS since we started 15 years ago and it has never created any problems (well, except for the occasional axe murderer who finds our WHOIS and tries to kill us :P)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@azzavps said:
    you know nothing about our infrastructure so should really keep your angry little comments to yourself.

Exactly this is what I am saying. I don't know anything about you, your customers don't know anything about you. I checked every detail at your webpage which represent your business and still I don't know anything about your "company". Domain is under whois privacy, no relevant data at your site and only point of contact with you seems "Contact us" web form.
    And then you got brilliant idea to share your clients data with others so my thought was: who are you anyway to do this? Does your clients have any data about you?
    You're collecting your clients data but you're hidding from them your own data. What kind of business relationship is this?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited June 2013

@azzavps said:
    ... SO as i said, the privacy will be removed!!

Why not post it here, right now?
    (You can update the domain registration later.)

• smansman Member
    edited June 2013

@DomainBop said:
    I can't think of one valid reason why a business would need to hide their WHOIS.....:P)

Not even 1? Really. Then why is there a whole domain privacy industry built around hiding the whois of mostly businesses? There are all sorts of good reasons that have nothing to do with lurking in the shadows running scams on people or whatever thoughts you have floating around your head.

• krokro Member

I colold at completehost, such a nightmare.

• For everyone that is interested:

married, 3 year old daughter. 1 dog, 2 cars.

• registrant_contact_name: Aaron Martin
    registrant_contact_address1: 81 Opaheke Rd
    registrant_contact_city: Papakura
    registrant_contact_province: Auckland
    registrant_contact_postalcode: 2011
    registrant_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    registrant_contact_phone: +64 21813366
    registrant_contact_fax: +64 21813366
    registrant_contact_email:

• Fair enough, thanks @azzavps.

@seriesn: thanks for the heads up :-)