Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plivo forgot to renew domain plivo.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plivo forgot to renew domain plivo.com

trnjtrnj Member
edited April 2017 in General

Looks like SMS service provider plivo.com forgot to renew their domain and it was expired.
DNS was changed to NS1.PENDINGRENEWALDELETION.COM.

Everything is down... API and etc.

plivo.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/plivo.com

For fun
https://whoapi.com/blog/1582/5-all-time-domain-expirations-in-internets-history/

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Sorry what is that website about ?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ljsealsljseals Member
    edited April 2017

https://twitter.com/plivo?lang=en

Plivo is a Cloud API Platform and a Global Carrier Services Provider for Voice Calls and SMS.

• YuraYura Member

I almost cared.

But really. I don't.

• WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:
    I almost cared.

But really. I don't.

Tell me more!

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • YuraYura Member

@WSS said:

@Yura said:
    I almost cared.

But really. I don't.

Tell me more!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

@Yura said:
    I almost cared.

But really. I don't.

Tell me more!

Thanked by 1vedran
  • YuraYura Member

@WSS,

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Thanked by 2Yura jar
  • saf31saf31 Member

waiting to grab lowendtalk :)

Domain:lowendtalk.com
    Registrar:GODADDY.COM, LLC
    Registration Date:2010-07-12
    Expiration Date:2017-07-12

Thanked by 2vimalware dedipromo
  • filefile Member

They are aware and have a Google Doc where restoration progress is being provided. They also have the IPs there.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1hHIGcDQYb7nlL09-K1IOG_6mnVSDIHw_7D62X9RAneE/pub

• Guess they tried to transfer to someone else for save, but failed.. :)

• bapbap Member

@saf31 said:

Should I make LET admin busy with spams and mentions? So they may forget to renew their domain?

Thanked by 1saf31
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Amazing. How can you screw up a renewal like that.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Due to an error with our domain registrar “plivo.com” and all its subdomains are unreachable currently."

That reads like an attempt at misdirection to me.

Thanked by 1Riz
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@bap said:

@saf31 said:

Should I make LET admin busy with spams and mentions? So they may forget to renew their domain?

Don't worry. I imagine more than a few of us have it on backorder. I'd imagine they will just renew it for 10 years now though.

• I wonder why don't they just renew it for 10 years in advance? How can they even miss those multiple domain renewal notices?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@momin90909 said:
    I wonder why don't they just renew it for 10 years in advance? How can they even miss those multiple domain renewal notices?

When you're a company sometimes it's more difficult than that. Especially when the responsibility hasn't been allocated.

• RizRiz Member

@raindog308 said:
    "Due to an error with our domain registrar “plivo.com” and all its subdomains are unreachable currently."

The part where they claim a "DNS outage" is pretty great.

"plivo.com and its subdomains are experiencing a DNS outage. Check here for live updates & resolutions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hHIGcDQYb7nlL09-K1IOG_6mnVSDIHw_7D62X9RAneE/pub …"

• BG32BG32 Member
    edited April 2017

You see if they went namesilo they would have up to 15 days to renew it, before it gets released to the pigs

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

FAKE RENEWS!

• US HQ + 95% of staff outsourced to India = Fail

• I put my domains on autorenew. Solves that problem.

• What a entertaining fuck-up!!!

• southysouthy Member
    edited April 2017

I find the concept that you have to act (manually) in whatever way to get a domain renewed pretty strange.

Here in germany I don't know one single provider where that is the case.
    It's totally normal that stuff like that happens automatically.

I don't even get the business logic behind it: wouldn't it be way easier not only for the clients, but also for the registrars if the default would be "auto-renew"? They would keep the x% of clients that forget to renew and don't even care because they don't use it anyway?

And from my point of view as a client: why in the world would I want to have to manually act to renew my newspaper subscription, my fitness center subscription, my whatever_insurance, my phone line or whatever...? I had enough trouble to choose the proper one in the first place, now bug off and service me until I tell you otherwise?!?

I'll never get that manual logic.

• southy said: I'll never get that manual logic.

Maybe they saved two bucks.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@Ole_Juul said:
    I put my domains on autorenew. Solves that problem.

Untill you realise you have tons of others you bought for fun on specials and now they are full price, buzz.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@southy said:
    I find the concept that you have to act (manually) in whatever way to get a domain renewed pretty strange.

Here in germany I don't know one single provider where that is the case.
    It's totally normal that stuff like that happens automatically.

I don't even get the business logic behind it: wouldn't it be way easier not only for the clients, but also for the registrars if the default would be "auto-renew"? They would keep the x% of clients that forget to renew and don't even care because they don't use it anyway?

And from my point of view as a client: why in the world would I want to have to manually act to renew my newspaper subscription, my fitness center subscription, my whatever_insurance, my phone line or whatever...? I had enough trouble to choose the proper one in the first place, now bug off and service me until I tell you otherwise?!?

I'll never get that manual logic.

Do credit cards not expire in Germany? ;)

Domain renewal being yearly at the least is an important variable here. It renews one year great, two years great, three years you start to forget renewal is even a thing and your card has expired...

It's not implausible.

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • southysouthy Member
    edited April 2017

@jarland said:

Do credit cards not expire in Germany? ;)

Domain renewal being yearly at the least is an important variable here. It renews one year great, two years great, three years you start to forget renewal is even a thing and your card has expired...

How often do you change your bank account?
    I last did when I married.

It's not implausible.

Very simple answer:
    For recurring stuff like this, normally people in germany would never use a credit card, but "direct debit".
    I don't know if that's an accurate translation, but basically you allow the vendor to directly take the agreed amount of money from your bank account once a year / month /....
    (either fixed sum or according to your usage e.g. the amount due for your phone line)

This is what you almost always do for stuff like subscriptions, contracts, insurances, rent, your phone line etc. - basically for everything where you know recurring payments will be coming.

And as most people don't change their bank accounts very frequently, that means that basically you normally never need to manually handle payments ever again until you want to terminate the contract.

In fact, vendors such as your fitness studio, your newspaper, your landlord, ... will normally not even offer credit card payment. Normally you will have to enter your bank details and allow them to charge you, and that's it.

People here use credit cards when they are abroad or for one-time payments on e.g. gas stations, hotels etc.

But not for recurring contracts.

• Such direct debit (as in Germany) may not be accepted by the domain vendor. I use Paypal which would work like that for me, but my registrar does not take that. I do have to use a credit card and @jarland is right, there is room for a fcskup there.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2017

My debit card and credit card are indistinguishable, both with expiration dates. I don't know what you're doing in Germany that's so wildly different, but I know that direct bank withdrawal via account/routing number is something you only give to the most very limited parties here in the US. For paying bills of the highest tier like utilities, or when making payments to banks directly.

Having a credit card stolen is nothing like having an account/routing number stolen. For that reason almost no small vendor takes such a thing. No demand because no one wants to give out that information so freely.

I suspect whatever you're doing in Germany @southy, it has no equivalent over here.