Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from QuadHost.net and i-83.net ! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stay away from QuadHost.net and i-83.net !

Comments

• cassacassa Member

@marcolino said:

@cassa said:

Sorry, cassa, I don't understand the pic :-(

I do

• cassacassa Member

wtf is quashost

• marcolino said: I don't think so.

Naive Inc

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jenkki reminds me of those virtual support agents on websites which pick few key words from your questions and generate a more or less random answer based on that.

Thanked by 2WSS switsys
  • @cassa said:

@marcolino said:

@cassa said:

I do

Thanks a lot for your very kind explaination

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

FYI: They've just posted an update on their status page: https://quadhost.net/account/serverstatus.php

• cassacassa Member

@marcolino said:

@cassa said:

@marcolino said:

@cassa said:

I do

Thanks a lot for your very kind explaination

No problem, if you have any other questions please let us know. Please also leave a rating of our service at http://www.strawpoll.me/12811436

• tldr version:
    Hetzner got pissed, i-83 has to leave and is moving it all to London, no direct replacement for a German location.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • marcolino said: Sorry but at the moment I'm busy. With mom. YOUR mom.

I was curious about the incredible hate about a very cheap NAT ip vps, when we all know that such vps is not something you should be think as reliable, the opposite.
    Now you show what kind of person you really are!
    Someone called you a kid - that's what you seem to be according to your posts. So, a kiddie behavior often leads to the parents for support!
    This is in any way different telling someone you f*** his mother! I flagged you and I really hope you'll get a perm ban soon.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Bopie said:
    @quadhost @i83 just so you are aware of this :)

Wasting time tagging him. He hasn't been on here since early in April.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I've no dog in this fight, but one thing that really winds me up is providers who are active when the going is good disappearing when things go badly. Grounds to loose the provider tag IMO.

@Wych is a nice chap and I'm sure none of what's happened is deliberate and it's just a bad situation, but you can surely manage 10 minutes to rock up on LET and let people know what's happening.

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:
    I've no dog in this fight, but one thing that really winds me up is providers who are active when the going is good disappearing when things go badly. Grounds to loose the provider tag IMO.

I agree 100% with this ideology.

I know what has happened to them is out of their hands, and they're stuck- but blowing everyone off with "check the status page", and eventually just giving up on visiting LET- shows me just how far I can trust them with my services. You'd assume that they could at least just grab these folks' from WHMCS and stick them on another node within a couple days- but we're talking about more than a month. I will likely not be renewing any of my services (including non-NAT) with them due to how this has not been handled.

@jarland - any chance of the mods having a pow-wow and deciding what to do when we end up having good folks turn into deadbeats?

Thanked by 2marcolino default
  • @WSS said

I know what has happened to them is out of their hands

I don't think any of us actually know what happened as they have not been forthcoming with that information

• WSSWSS Member

@alaningus said:
    I don't think any of us actually know what happened as they have not been forthcoming with that information

The story goes that someone on that node was portscanning/flooding, so Hetzner null routed it. If they'd come forward and stated this, they might have recovered face by now, rather than refusing to tell their clients anything. I respect that they don't want to say "Someone got us shut down", because this knowledge could be used to DOS virtually any service at that provider, but their lack of moving forward in any manner to get their clients back online is inexcusable.

• edited April 2017

@WSS said:

@alaningus said:

The story goes that someone on that node was portscanning/flooding, so Hetzner null routed it. If they'd come forward and stated this, they might have recovered face by now, rather than refusing to tell their clients anything. I respect that they don't want to say "Someone got us shut down", because this knowledge could be used to DOS virtually any service at that provider, but their lack of moving forward in any manner to get their clients back online is inexcusable.

I think their status update #3 from just over an hour ago admits it was some users that resulted in the server getting shut down - https://quadhost.net/account/serverstatus.php - "repeated issues originating from a small group of malicious signups". They did say that they will start moving clients to their London server (or elsewhere if requested), however I'm not really sure how long it will take, as my ticket to be moved from 1 week ago hasn't been responded to yet (& that was on high priority).
    EDIT: Just noticed my storage NAT VPS has been created up in the London location as I requested (ticketed asking for transfer with no data) & have responded apologising, and I seem to have a 3 month billing extension on the service. I got the response in about 1 hour, so if you want your service back, I'd suggest ticketing in to them to try and get it sped up.

Thanked by 2WSS alaningus
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@salakis said:
    tldr version:
    Hetzner got pissed, i-83 has to leave and is moving it all to London, no direct replacement for a German location.

Wait, wat Hetzner has AntiDDOS and they fucked up to much?

• MaherMaher Member

They didn't even dare to keep those nodes in their status cake anymore directly after this thread, this is interesting

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Neoon said:

@salakis said:
    tldr version:

I'd assume that would be how they knew something was up from inside to outside. I wonder if someone did this intentionally knowing how Hetzner dislikes portscans etc

• Neoon said:

This was outbound abuse, not inbound. But, I thought VPS hosts that survived any lengths of time knew about this and had monitoring in place to shut it down.

@Maher said:
    They didn't even dare to keep those nodes in their status cake anymore directly after this thread, this is interesting

Well, they ceased this location so why would they ?

Plus point is for fighting to get the data back, minus point for lack of continuous communication. This could have been manoeuvred in such a way to limit the damage a lot if only even basic communication would be provided (even in a form of more frequent status page updates).

I understand they admit that and will be learning lessons out of this, which is a positive thing.

All in all bear in mind there were two ways it could play out. Some would deadpool, but they decided to work hard to get it back on track. That's also a positive thing.

Thanked by 1WSS

@willie said:

Neoon said:

This was outbound abuse, not inbound. But, I thought VPS hosts that survived any lengths of time knew about this and had monitoring in place to shut it down.

I don't know their setup in such a detail, but even if you monitor stuff, something can still slip under your radar. Even If their monitoring picked it up and suspended the container the abuse was already visible to Hetzner and so would probably trigger the action regardless.

• WSSWSS Member

@Clouvider said:

@Maher said:

Well, they ceased this location so why would they ?

Plus point is for fighting to get the data back, minus point for lack of continuous communication. This could have been manoeuvred in such a way to limit the damage a lot if only even basic communication would be provided (even in a form of more frequent status page updates).

It's the fact that they'll take the time to remove these hosts from StatusCake, but can't be arsed to send affected folks an email with any updates (we've found a new provider, we're set to migrate all client data) beyond adding a couple paragraphs in fortnight increments is an outright slap in the face.

I'd be surprised if they end up making it out of this without losing more clients who aren't directly affected. I sure as hell don't trust them to handle emergencies at this point.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@WSS probably yes. They will have a lot of trust to win back to play the long game.

• @Maher said:

Yes and magically their 7 Day Uptime rised from an average of 87% (average of ALL nodes) up to 99.94%; it's easy to seem to be professionals!

• @matthewkilpatrick said:
    EDIT: Just noticed my storage NAT VPS has been created up in the London location as I requested (ticketed asking for transfer with no data) & have responded apologising, and I seem to have a 3 month billing extension on the service. I got the response in about 1 hour, so if you want your service back, I'd suggest ticketing in to them to try and get it sped up.

You lucky man: ALL my tech tickets are still unanswered since 25/mar.

• edited April 2017

@marcolino said:

@Maher said:

Yes and magically their 7 Day Uptime rised from an average of 87% (average of ALL nodes) up to 99.94%; it's easy to seem to be professional

Average uptime doesn't really mean anything anyway. In their case from what I've seen most their nodes are on upwards of 99% uptime per day (and mostly near 100%). So you were either on a working server, or a broken one - I can't really see how that figure in any way is that useful or why you are making a fuss about it.

Think of it this way: they no longer use those servers. At some point they would have to be removed from that list, and it would cause inaccuracies in the average at that point.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @marcolino said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:

You lucky man: ALL my tech tickets are still unanswered since 25/mar.

I had to re-reply to my ticket to get a response. I suggest either doing that or opening a new ticket in the migrations department to say where you want your server deploying.

• @matthewkilpatrick said:
    I had to re-reply to my ticket to get a response. I suggest either doing that or opening a new ticket in the migrations department to say where you want your server deploying.

Thanks for your comment but I'm not interested anymore in deploying my VPS elsewhere with them; I asked them to move to a different node 2 weeks ago, now it's too late.

I just want them to terminate my VPS as promised in their TOS and will wait for PayPal decision about the refund. I do not trust QuadHost anymore at all.

• @marcolino said:
    Thanks for your comment but I'm not interested anymore in deploying my VPS elsewhere with them; I asked them to move to a different node 2 weeks ago, now it's too late.

I just want them to terminate my VPS as promised in their TOS and will wait for PayPal decision about the refund. I do not trust QuadHost anymore at all.

Ok, then, I kind of forgot that you said that initially. I'm going to keep around for the time being with them - I'm using it for a non critical service, and am getting a duplicate server setup on another provider to mirror content in the event of an outage. I have lost a lot of trust in them, but I see no point in ending the server with 10 months of it left, and so i'll just keep there and see if things improve before making my decision.
    I agree it took them to long to respond to this: if they had migrated me to another server after the first outage I wouldn't be complaining. However, I'm greatful that they eventually responded to it rather than leaving clients in the dark about it forever.

• I'm glad QH has finally responded to clients again and posted that update, but it still sounds like the owner is pursuing unrelated opportunities and has possibly lost interest in Quadhost, so (at some level) doesn't care if it has much of a future. Certainly I see a graceful shutdown with reasonable notice to customers as a far better way to pull the plug than suddenly going offline.

I guess I'll wait a few days for new developments but overall I don't feel like I can rely on these vps any more. I'm ok as London as a migration target for my FLK VPS but it's not my first choice, so I'll have to figure out what to ask for instead (Gravelines, Roubaix, and BHS are all possibilities, maybe in that order).

Thanked by 1WSS
This discussion has been closed.