Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reputed and good low storage VPS for personal needs; affordable (even if it's annual)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reputed and good low storage VPS for personal needs; affordable (even if it's annual)

Will backup compressed, deduped, and versioned personal data (~35GB raw as of now). Data increase will be low - couple of 100s MB per month at max. (Everything anyway goes to CrashPlan and an external hard disk which is also backed up to CrashPlan)

And a couple of tiny self hosted apps like a task or note sync apps - transfer in KBs.

So, I need:

• 200-250GB (don't need SSD at all)
  • Min 256MB (though 512 min will be nice)
  • Okay kinda onthly transfer. I really don't need much.

I just need the provider to have good and proven track record and affordable cost as I need it for long term (wouldn't mind something like paying for 2 years upfront really).

Do you think I got any chance? Something like Time4VPS (awesome price for storage) but selling ~200GB VPS?

PS. Already use very good Time4VPS. Just don't want to keep all eggs in one basket; besides they have no options for ~200GB or even 500GB.

Comments

• Try this one. Storage VPS

• I have a 100GB storage VPS with @LiteServer, would highly recommend them and they've been around for years.

Check their homepage too, there's usually a discount code at the top right.

Thanked by 2Devil sin
  • I have mine with zx host. They are really good and do excellent deals on longer term commitments. I think I got 2Tb for £77 for 3 years.

Thanked by 1Devil
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

Take a Box :)

http://letbox.com/page/storage

Use Promo Code = 35OFF

• DevilDevil Member

@rocket said: I have a 100GB storage VPS with @LiteServer, would highly recommend them and they've been around for years.

Hey, thanks. They sound interesting but the'r OVZ-STORAGE-256 (€20,47/yr annual with 25% coupon):

RAM; 256MB
    VSwap; 256MB
    Diskspace; 200GB SSD Cached Storage
    Traffic; 2TB

is kinda not offering very great price as Time4VPS for 2.99 EUR/mo 1 TB Plan (with 2 year commitment - no coupon) offerr this:

CPU: 1 x 1.90 GHz
    RAM: 1024 MB
    HDD: 1024 GB
    Bandwidth: 8 TB
    Virtualization: OpenVZ

But @liteserver is still the best I have come across so far. Guess I am still looking or ask people at LS if they have 2 year pricing or maybe bumping something here and there a bit.

Hey, are they well established? Let's say compared to Time4VPs, RamNode, BuyVM etc?

@michaels said: I have mine with zx host. They are really good and do excellent deals on longer term commitments. I think I got 2Tb for £77 for 3 years.

That sounds great. How did you get the deal? Ask them for a quote or it's the default price. As of now I see KVM storage VPS with lowest price at Euro 7.5/mo and soemthing LET special (that I got on googling for OpenVZ) where max disk is 120GB for Euro 15.99/yr. 2TB storage, right? (It will be kinda overkill for me)

• hzrhzr Member

Devil said: Hey, are they well established? Let's say compared to Time4VPs, RamNode, BuyVM etc?

Yes.

• @Devil said:

@rocket said: I have a 100GB storage VPS with @LiteServer, would highly recommend them and they've been around for years.

Hey, thanks. They sound interesting but the'r OVZ-STORAGE-256 (€20,47/yr annual with 25% coupon):

RAM; 256MB
    VSwap; 256MB
    Diskspace; 200GB SSD Cached Storage
    Traffic; 2TB

is kinda not offering very great price as Time4VPS for 2.99 EUR/mo 1 TB Plan (with 2 year commitment - no coupon) offerr this:

CPU: 1 x 1.90 GHz
    RAM: 1024 MB
    HDD: 1024 GB
    Bandwidth: 8 TB
    Virtualization: OpenVZ

But @liteserver is still the best I have come across so far. Guess I am still looking or ask people at LS if they have 2 year pricing or maybe bumping something here and there a bit.

Hey, are they well established? Let's say compared to Time4VPs, RamNode, BuyVM etc?

@michaels said: I have mine with zx host. They are really good and do excellent deals on longer term commitments. I think I got 2Tb for £77 for 3 years.

That sounds great. How did you get the deal? Ask them for a quote or it's the default price. As of now I see KVM storage VPS with lowest price at Euro 7.5/mo and soemthing LET special (that I got on googling for OpenVZ) where max disk is 120GB for Euro 15.99/yr. 2TB storage, right? (It will be kinda overkill for me)

I'd say the price is pretty good for the service they offer, I get what you're saying but personally I'd rather pay the extra and get something I know will definitely work (not saying that Time4VPS is bad, I'd just rather stick with something I know than try somebody else with something important.)

If you want me to run any benchmarks on my server let me know and I'll do it later.

Thanked by 1Devil
  • This was the deal I got. I think @AshleyUK runs it on occasion here. I didn't realise it was in February! Also, my mistake, it was 1Tb storage, the 2Tb was the bandwidth allocation. The other really big advantage of zxhost is the storage is redundant across an HA cluster not just local RAID (something you don't see that much)

• @michaels said:
    This was the deal I got. I think @AshleyUK runs it on occasion here. I didn't realise it was in February! Also, my mistake, it was 1Tb storage, the 2Tb was the bandwidth allocation. The other really big advantage of zxhost is the storage is redundant across an HA cluster not just local RAID (something you don't see that much)

I have one, upgraded to two vCPU. I'd be up for transferring it. PM me if anybody is interested.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Could do this for $7 /month in LT if you're interested.

1IPv4
    200GB HDD
    512MB RAM

We are www.vpsbit.com

• ZXHost 1T plan is a good one; CEPH is definitely slower than local HDD but it's good enough for private file serving (Nextcloud, Seafile, etc). It'll be faster than Time4VPS. But 1T is more than you say you need.

In the range of 100-200GB (which I don't consider very high storage), I'd recommend Liteserver; they have a very good track record. I'm assuming EU is ok with you; you didn't mention location needs. They had a 40% coupon last Black Friday, but at 25% it's still a good deal for what you get.

I-83 also had some 250GB NAT storage, but we are all a little worried about their stability now.

Thanked by 1Devil
  • DevilDevil Member

@seanho thanks. Yes, I will get in touch with LS people and see if I can get a deal for a longer commitment maybe or see if they have a better coupon.

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2017

Liteserver is really good, my backup storage box with them has been rock-solid:

root@backup-nl:~# uptime
     15:20:51 up 254 days, 13:03,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Benchmark started on Sat Apr 22 15:21:36 EDT 2017
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    CPU Cores   : 1
    Frequency   : 3491.951 MHz
    Memory      : 128 MB
    Swap        : 128 MB
    Uptime      : 254 days, 13:04,

OS      : Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 2.6.32-042stab113.21
    Hostname    : backup-nl

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is x.x.x.x

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    104MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      20.7MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   29.0MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   24.6MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   24.8MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   7.56MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      7.63MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   19.2MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     95.0MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    97.0MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 155 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 166 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 162 MB/s
    Average I/O : 161 MB/s

• Think the thing to remember about Ceph is it is across multiple nodes rather than RAID in on chassis. It will be slower it's network speed rather than SAS/SATA speeds. I use mine for nextcloud, so like you said it's ideal!

• @tragic has a 250gb kvm at $25/year, promo from a while back but the order link still seems to be up:

https://www.tragicservers.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=170

He mentioned also doing 250GB OpenVZ for $20/year, no idea whether that's still open, but if it were me I'd pay the $5 extra for KVM anyway.

• Just placing this here for those who may be looking at ZX Host as a potential VPS provider.

**AVOID ZXHost! **

Was reasonably happy with the service until a week ago.

Has been down for 6 days now. Limited and vague email updates only and they are not answering support tickets.
    I ended up having to resort to finding the person running it (one man show - which I wasn't aware of) on Facebook Messenger to try get some answers that way!! And I still don't know when service is to be restored. To be honest, I don't think he knows himself - which is worrying.

I'll be migrating to another provider as soon as I can get my data.