Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ASN Single Homed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ASN Single Homed

Can I receive an ASN with a single homed cogent connection and my own purchased /24 subnet?

Comments

• Usually not, unless you have an IX also.

You can however get an IPv6 subnet and use 2 tunnel services (or one and your Cogent) which perfectly qualifies as multihomed.

Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • @William said:
    Usually not, unless you have an IX also.

You can however get an IPv6 subnet and use 2 tunnel services (or one and your Cogent) which perfectly qualifies as multihomed

Do you know where I can get an IPv6 block from or multiple blocks?

• Any RIPE LIR technically, i do for free (/40) but ONLY if you have RIPE handles.

• @William said:
    Any RIPE LIR technically, i do for free (/40) but ONLY if you have RIPE handles.

I'm in USA are IPv6 still free or do you have to purchase them now. I remember seeing a company that you had to apply for some and they would give you a subnet I forgot the size though.

Thanked by 1William
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

Region not relevant for IPv6 space from RIPE, you can however only get a RIPE ASN (=cheap, all others are $$$$) if you are inside RIPE region or have a hosting location inside.

What you saw was probably me anyway - https://ip6.im/

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

@William, why is ip6.im not reachable by IPv6?

• @William said:
    Region not relevant for IPv6 space from RIPE, you can however only get a RIPE ASN (=cheap, all others are $$$$) if you are inside RIPE region or have a hosting location inside.

What you saw was probably me anyway - https://ip6.im/

Bad thing for that is I'm in ARIN region. I would like my ASN to be with ARIN as well. Do you have any connects to IPv6 for an ARIN ASN?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Check out host.us he does arin asns

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

patrick7 said: @William, why is ip6.im not reachable by IPv6?

The primary upstream we use in this location has weird IPv6 routes and i did not pull a L2 back to Austria yet plus will not run tunnels/reverse proxies over non dedicated or internet links.

Fixed now though, temporary.

root@rp:~# curl -q -6 https://ip6.im |grep body
        body

• KeKe said: Bad thing for that is I'm in ARIN region. I would like my ASN to be with ARIN as well. Do you have any connects to IPv6 for an ARIN ASN?

Pay 500$ to ARIN. Easiest way.

Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

William said: Pay 500$ to ARIN. Easiest way.

He should already have ARIN membership, no? As he says he already bought a /24. The said /24 is most likely transfered to his account.