Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for high bandwidth @ 1gbps port VPSes that can announce my /24 for anycast
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for high bandwidth @ 1gbps port VPSes that can announce my /24 for anycast

I'm looking for multiple high bandwidth (over 5TB, 10TB+ is preferred) VPSes around the world that would announce my /24 in order to use for anycast.

I'm not sure how anycast works, but I think your router should support it to announce the same /24 in multiple places. Maybe @rds100 can clear that part.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

@serverian you setup bgpd in your VPS and peer with the provider, your bgp announces the /24 and the provider redistributes your announcement upstream.

The provider shouldn't be announcing your /24 directly from ther AS, because in this case if the VPS dies or something the /24 the provider would keep announcing it and traffic will go nowhere. You want the announcement to disappear if your VPS/server dies.

You should probably talk with @gbshouse for some advises and ideas about providers who would accept to speak BGP with you.

• I see @rds100. I'll contact @gbshouse Thanks a a bunch.

• Yeah, I love him!

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited June 2013

Maybe it would make sense to let us know what you are planning. Not everything can be solved by using anycast. Also, just finding multiple providers talking to them BGP isn't all what you have to do. For example: I also operate an anycast network. Of course I were not that experienced on the beginning, and the first PoPs were in HK, NY and UK. And what happened? Everything was routed to HK, even from Europe, etc.
    However, I was able to solve that with some bgp tricks (AS path prepending and bgp communities). And there are lots of other things that needs to be noted.

The next thing is: Just using a DC at the west and east coast, one in europe on in Asia isn't really going to be an anycast network that you can really call anycast as what you expect. This AS-Path thingy is pretty tricky especially if you have a limited budget.

• BradNDBradND Member

Anycast makes me cry, I was going to do it on one of our /24's... but all those un used IP's :(

• AmfyAmfy Member

Anycast makes me cry, I was going to do it on one of our /24's... but all those un used IP's :(

Depends, you can still use them with only one location even if the others are anycasted. But I'm not sure if I would use that in production :)

• EarthVPNEarthVPN Member
    edited June 2013

We can provide you high bandwidth@1gbps dedicated and or virtual infrastructure on 32 countries and 54 locations.It is also possible to announce your /24 on some of the locations.Depending your implementation of anycast we advise to have your own AS however its not mandatory.ISPs can configure bgp on their border routers as If the bgp session is down between the peers there will be no announcement of your /24.