Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway - Workload Intensive Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway - Workload Intensive Servers

david_reiddavid_reid Member
edited April 2017 in General

Just got this email from Scaleway:

We are thrilled to announce that the Workload Intensive Cloud Servers are now available in Amsterdam. We're also officially ending the preview phase and entering General Availability on this server range.

These new servers are the most powerful in our lineup thanks to their Intel Xeon SoCs and DDR4 memory. With up to 120GB of RAM and 12 Xeon cores, you can now run all your memory and compute intensive workloads directly on Scaleway, starting at €24.99/mo:

X64-15GB - 6 x64 cores - 15GB Memory - €24.99/mo

X64-30GB - 8 x64 cores - 30GB Memory - €49.99/mo

X64-60GB - 10 x64 cores - 60GB Memory - €89.99/mo

X64-120GB - 12 x64 cores - 120GB Memory - €179.99/mo

The Workload Intensive servers are available with the same pricing as during the preview. As all our cloud servers, they benefit from unlimited transfer and you're billed by the hour up to a monthly cap of 500 hours.

If you wish to deploy 100s, 1000s or even more servers, let us know, we will increase your limits!

Comments

• They introduced those servers in another DC. I think that's it!

• They were on "preview" rather than "general availability" before. Not sure what the difference is. I tried a 60gb one for a few hours, shortly after they were announced. It was nice but I would have hoped for a faster cpu (it had a Xeon D-1531 iirc). They are right that the pricing is very competitive for servers with that much memory, but these days I think CPU is more important.

• jgillichjgillich Member
    edited April 2017

willie said: They were on "preview" rather than "general availability" before. Not sure what the difference is. I tried a 60gb one for a few hours, shortly after they were announced. It was nice but I would have hoped for a faster cpu (it had a Xeon D-1531 iirc). They are right that the pricing is very competitive for servers with that much memory, but these days I think CPU is more important.

Well, 6 Xeon D cores for 25 Euros, I don't think you're getting more than that anywhere else. Although what I really wonder is to what extend they're oversold. Since the full server has 120GB RAM, do they put 8 15GB plans on them? That would mean you're getting a mere 1.5 dedicated cores.

• jgillich said:

Well, 6 Xeon D cores for 25 Euros

They're not cores, they're threads. It's a 6 core 12 thread CPU. I don't know how they are provisioning the boxes. When I tried the 60gb they only had 60gb and 120gb--they added the smaller ones later. I think for the 15gb and 30gb, you might be better off with the dedicated C2M or C2L which uses Atom 2758 cpus if I remember right. They are slow cores but you get 8 of them to yourself, equivalent to maybe 3 of the D1531 cores (I mean full cores not threads). Or if you want a full month, try a Hetzner auction dedi.

There are some applications that want tons of ram and not too much cpu: that's what these Xeon plans seem good for.

• trnjtrnj Member

A bit expensive. Better to get dedi from mother company...

• They are low priced for hourly servers of that size. Also the Online dedis have high setup fees. But yes, you can do better with monthly servers.

Thanked by 1erichica
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Short question to those here with a service in Amsterdam - Is online.net still routing most (if not all) traffic from Amsterdam through Paris, or is it a full-featured (network wise) location now?

• willie said: They're not cores, they're threads. It's a 6 core 12 thread CPU.

Well, each physical core provides two virtual cores, that doesn't make the term core incorrect. How much you end up getting still depends on how much they're shared.

But definitely a weird choice to go Xeon D instead of E5 for these machnes. I guess they did that because they're cheaper, and through overselling they can make them seem very attractive.