Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Shadowsocks work stable in China right now?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Shadowsocks work stable in China right now?

My cousin will go to China for business travel. I want to install Shadowsocks on your computer. (No ShadowsocksR) Does Shadowsocks work in China right now? Thank you for your answers...

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

All VPN software is illegal so some proxy tools are banned. However, some are powerful that GFW can hardly detect. Such as Shadowsocks ( Include ShadowsocksR), V2Ray, Pipesocks, etc.

• MxlMxl Member

I am using shadowsocksR.

Thanked by 1whulfy
  • You always have to keep tuning the parameters, changing ports, etc. to minimize the possibility of being detected. The very last strategy on GFW is to detect based on traffic. A large volume of traffic between 2 IPs will certainly get caution in a few hours.

• @msg7086 said:
    You always have to keep tuning the parameters, changing ports, etc. to minimize the possibility of being detected. The very last strategy on GFW is to detect based on traffic. A large volume of traffic between 2 IPs will certainly get caution in a few hours.

Can they understand it with TCP 443, 53 or 80? Which port do you recommend?

• @hostdare said:
    All VPN software is illegal so some proxy tools are banned. However, some are powerful that GFW can hardly detect. Such as Shadowsocks ( Include ShadowsocksR), V2Ray, Pipesocks, etc.

V2ray looks like Shadowsocks. Did I get right?

• @jerusalem_ru said:

I don't think it makes that much difference.

I personally use port 3389 on a linux server and it's so far so good.

• @msg7086 said:

@jerusalem_ru said:

Is there a Linux client for ShadowsocksR?

• @lion said:

@jerusalem_ru said:

https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks-qt5/wiki/Installation

@lion Shadowsocks and ShadowsocksR clients for Windows are different. Are the clients for Linux the same?

• @jerusalem_ru Hi my friend, no need to worry, shadowsocks works rock stable in China, no need to use shadowsocksR. I live in mainland China and have used shadowsocks for almost 2 years. Just be sure that the IP address of the server(on which you install shadowsocks) is not blocked by the great fire wall of china. If you have any difficulties installing shadowsocks, you can send me a message :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @sunnwmy Does work Shadowsocks over OpenVPN in China?

• @jerusalem_ru DO NOT use openvpn in China. As far as I know, the GFW already had the ability to detect openvpn and if you use openvpn to connect your server. Your server's ip will soon been blocked by the GFW. Shadowsocks is your best choice. The GFW can not detect shadowsocks.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ihellihell Member

@jerusalem_ru said:

@msg7086 said:

@jerusalem_ru said:

As a Chinese, I may suggest you not to use neither 80 nor 443, as the GFW may find out that HTTP packet on port 80 cannot be recognized and 443 is always banned for no reason ( maybe because it don't have to ability to hack a HTTPS/SSL packet so it banns the IP ) . I recommend to use http port 8080 with AES-192-CFB as I think it's the most stable and security port, my ShadowsocksR server has been running on this port for nearly a whole year with huge traffic but it's still fine.

• m3gfm3gf Member

yes shadowsocks works fine so far

• dovehljdovehlj Member
    edited April 2017

整啥英文,来中国得说chinese~~~中国欢迎你的大兄弟来玩儿~笑cry·

• LeonnLeonn Member

dovehlj said: 说chinese

You need get used to speak English in an English Forum, bros.

• As a ShadowsocksR service provider, my service has never been disrupted by China's firewall. In fact most users can saturate their 100M/200M FTTH connection with my service.

• ihellihell Member

@dovehlj said:
    整啥英文,来中国得说chinese~~~中国欢迎你的大兄弟来玩儿~笑cry·

You are so 666 and 2333. But someone may have a sentence called MMP and don't know whether to say it out or not.

• BAKABAKA Member
    edited April 2017

hostdare said: All VPN software is illegal

Theoretically the law regulation only says that network service providers must be registered and get approval, although an approval for VPN is very hard to get.
    For personal use, it's only illegal if you connect to the internet via an unregistered physical tunnel (e.g. building your own undersea fiber or launching a private satellite).

Of course, practically most VPNs are deemed illegal.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • shadowsocksR voted +1

• kzedkzed Member

What is the differences between regular shadowsocks with ShadowsocksR?

Thanked by 1williclarkam
  • Yeah wondering the same, never heard of SSR!

• @kzed said:

SSR has newer, more experimental obfuscation techniques and protocols. Th original SS is more stable.

• @dcamero, @CalCheung, @ihell, @m3gf Is there a Linux client for ShadowsocksR?

• ihellihell Member

@kzed said:

SSR changes the HTTP-Post and Head info to cheat the GFW or such gateway devices in order to hide the real IP or website that connects to.

• ihellihell Member

@jerusalem_ru said:
    @dcamero, @CalCheung, @ihell, @m3gf Is there a Linux client for ShadowsocksR?

Maybe you can search github for user breakwa11, the developer of SSR.

• @ihell said:

@jerusalem_ru said:

I looked. I do not think the client is for Linux. Are the Shadowsocks and ShadowsocksR clients the same for Linux?

• ihellihell Member

@jerusalem_ru said:

@ihell said:

@jerusalem_ru said:

I looked. I do not think the client is for Linux. Are the Shadowsocks and ShadowsocksR clients the same for Linux?

Wait. I remembered a fact that when you install Shadowsocks or ShadowsocksR server on your server, the client is also installed, so you may config the /path/config.json file and use python -c shadowsocks-local /path/config.json -d start to start it. If this is unavailable, you can have a try of using WINE, which allows you to a win32 .exe software on Linux environment ( except for ARM based devices like RPi ). On the other hand, if you can, you can of course re-make the source and suit it to a linux-gui applecation.
    :·)

• m3gfm3gf Member
    edited April 2017

never seen a linux client .

• @kzed said:

ShadowSocksR (SSR for short) is actively developed and maintained. As an SSR service provider, I have tried both ShadowSocks (SS) with quite a few server implementations and SSR. None of the SS servers are stable for commercial production deployment, while the only SSR server works like a charm.

Also, many of my users report better bandwidth utilizations as a result of obfuscation that fools carrier QoS.

I'm sticking with SSR for the foreseeable future.