Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Selling Unsustainable Plans & BAD Service to Customer :: A Good Practice ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Selling Unsustainable Plans & BAD Service to Customer :: A Good Practice ??

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

I was just curious about something & that's, Is it a Good Practice to sell unsustainable hosting plans & Providing bad service to customer (service that hangs/overloaded & not usable) ??

Yes, The price is indeed very low. I just wanted to test it that how people can sell this type in low budget. Earlier this month, I bought a plan $5/Year, A Reseller Hosting to be exact which had 25 GB Space, 500 GB Bandwidth & server located at LA, USA. They said that it would not contain any SLA & support would be on best-effort basis. I don't want to mention the name of the provider.

$5/$10 is NOT the issue here & I greatly believe that none will complain about this actually, because none will be able to free some time to log in here once in his lifetime !

The fact is what's the logic/reason behind selling a Plan that is not usable ! What I faced is that (logging for once), Huge Load, No Space Left on Server, Can't generate backup. Website just keeps loading.

Do you support this type of selling by saying that No SLA, No support ! Even if I support that, shouldn't the service be usable ?? None thinks about his Brand Reputation ?? Just selling & making profit is a strategy ?? ;)

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

I can tell you from my past experience that many 5 USD such plans are very popular and while the those host load at least 1000-2000 customers per node .

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2017

If I pay 5 USD/year, I'm kinda expecting it to work, but I wouldn't have any demands on the performance or support at that price. As long as you make it clear that there is no performance guarantee and that it's unmanaged, it will be a good deal for both the customer and the provider.

3 second loading time is for 5 USD/year is perfectly fine in webhosting in my opinion. If you asked for 5 USD/m, then you should be far more competitive.

Thanked by 2willie sanvit
  • 5$ a year ? that too a Reseller account ?

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited April 2017

Unless you're OVH yeah I guess the minimum would be $5 with like 50b of ram and 5-10GB of storage, but overloading isn't really a smart idea

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

You really get what you pay for. If you look for the absolute cheapest plans that you could possibly find, often what you are giving up is quality of service

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yes this is generally a good practice. The more unsustainable and the worse the service, the more acceptable it is.

• cociucociu Member

hostdare said: 1000-2000 customers per node

i hope you have exagerate ...

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

• cociucociu Member

hostdare said: Not really ,it is true .

just curios , what node can handle this ?

• For shared hosting that doesn't sound too bad, lots of sites have super low traffic.

• Honestly, OP. What did you expect for a hosting plan that costs less that 45¢ per month? Of course the server is oversold to death and back.

If your provider stated that there's SLA and support will be best effort, it's not unreasonable of them considering how much they're selling for. You bet what you pay for.

Now, is this business model sustainable? No, it is not. Sooner or later it will become too much to handle. Sometimes it's worth it to pay extra.

Now... I am not saying that every cheap hosting service is bad. Some providers like Jardland and Francisco know how to balance things out and offer low pricing.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

@cociu said:

hostdare said: Not really ,it is true .

just curios , what node can handle this ?

Should ask EIG owned brands xD

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

I start getting itchy at 20 VMs on a node and that's with plenty of spare resource and plenty of Disk available for customers who want to expand their disk, extra cores and RAM without chucking them around nodes.

1000-2000 VMs P/Node! Crazy!!!

• ihadpihadp Member

@SV_Nick said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

I start getting itchy at 20 VMs on a node and that's with plenty of spare resource and plenty of Disk available for customers who want to expand their disk, extra cores and RAM without chucking them around nodes.

Pretty sure he was referring to shared web hosting..God I hope so..

• @ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:-

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Pretty sure he was referring to shared web hosting..God I hope so.

So do I, I feel for those disks regardless if it's Web or VM!

• ihadpihadp Member

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Raid 0 baby!

• @ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Raid 0 baby!

No-RAID - WD Green 2.5" 5400RPM! Need to save costs.

• ihadpihadp Member

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Raid 0 baby!

Jbod it is, just expand that lvm and done!

• @ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Raid 0 baby!

Keeping it simple right? Less technical, more reliable? What's all this RAID nonsense?

• ihadpihadp Member

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Raid 0 baby!

Keeping it simple right? Less technical, more reliable? What's all this RAID nonsense?

Hmm, maybe just mount Google drive with rclone? Bam unlimited storage and unlimited io.

• @ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Raid 0 baby!

Hmm, maybe just mount Google drive with rclone? Bam unlimited storage and unlimited io.

I like your thinking! Account straight from eBay and Google have backups right?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2017

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Raid 0 baby!

• Go to hackforums.net
    • Find some "unlimited space" webhost 1 USD/m
    • remote mount it's storage on your VPS ..node
    • Go production with nested virtualizion and nulled whmcs and sell 1 USD/lifetime plans untill nothing loads.
    Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL
  • ihadpihadp Member

@stefeman said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@SV_Nick said:

@ihadp said:

@hostdare said:

@cociu said:

Not really ,it is true .

Raid 0 baby!

• Go to hackforums.net
    • Find some "unlimited space" webhost 1 USD/m
    • remote mount it's storage on your VPS ..node
    • Go production with nested virtualizion and nulled whmcs and sell 1 USD/lifetime plans untill nothing loads.

You should really keep your business plan secret, now you will have competition!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm not sure why having 2,000 shared hosting accounts on a server is so shocking. For a big hosting company I'd assuming that kind of stacking was pretty routine. A beefy node should be able to serve hundreds or thousands of pages per second, no?

SV_Nick said: 1000-2000 VMs P/Node! Crazy!!!

Maybe you need to buy better nodes:

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 Who the hell is serving on AIX?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WSS said: @raindog308 Who the hell is serving on AIX?

I was talking mainframe - AIX is several orders of hardware and maturity down :-)

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

WSS said: @raindog308 Who the hell is serving on AIX?

I was talking mainframe - AIX is several orders of hardware and maturity down :-)

Oh, yes. How is your Selectric performing? Years ago I learned a a neat feature where one of the balls was loose and would randomly twist around. Never did fly off, though.

• @jarland said:
    Yes this is generally a good practice. The more unsustainable and the worse the service, the more acceptable it is.

It's like division by zero, you get infinity goodness from anything.

edited April 2017

hello

Yes it is kind of beefy nodes with big power cpu,lots of RAM, 8x1 TB ssd and raid 10 etc for those to handle . I have seen it myself while working for other people in a big company .

@SV_Nick who said it is 1000 vps per node ? It is 1000 cpanel customers/accounts per node !!

• WSSWSS Member

@hostdare said:
    hello

Yes it is kind of beefy nodes with big power cpu,lots of RAM, 8x1 TB ssd and raid 10 etc for those to handle . I have seen it myself while working for other people in a big company .

@SV_Nick who said it is 1000 vps per node ? It is 1000 cpanel customers/accounts per node !!

His lion does not have a pretty green dress, either!

Thanked by 1hostdare