Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider unresponsive to tickets; what should I do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider unresponsive to tickets; what should I do?

Very recently, I exceeded my bandwidth quota for a VPS I have from a particular provider. It seems a bit strange since I secure my VPSes well and I don't use it in ways that would deplete my entire bandwidth allocation in 6 hours.

Anyway, I tried to raise a ticket to see if they could allow additional bandwidth for a payment, and to get help locating the problem by asking them for traffic details. However, they've been totally unresponsive -- they've not replied to my tickets and it's 3 days already. Threatening them with service cancellation and asking for a refund is something that works when you have somebody on the other side willing to help you, but in this case there's been no reply at all.

Any ideas as to how I can get a response from these people?

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

It is a holiday period but 3 days is a bit extreme, was this a sales/billing ticket or support?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Do they have a phone number or general email address listed on their contact page?

• stevewatson301 said: they've not replied to my tickets and it's 3 days already

There was a weekends also Eastern time.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited April 2017

stevewatson301 said: However, they've been totally unresponsive -- they've not replied to my tickets and it's 3 days already.

Just checking: sometimes customers hit the "Close" button in WHMCS thinking that closes the page but it actually closes the ticket. Did you check if the ticket is open?

If it is open, try bumping it in case it fell through the cracks.

It's also Easter Monday in most Orthodox countries. That means people work even less than the little they normally do.

• quickquick Member
    edited April 2017

1) open a thread here on let with this title: Scam + Brandname

2) Chargeback

• @Ishaq said:
    It is a holiday period but 3 days is a bit extreme, was this a sales/billing ticket or support?

This was a support ticket.

• @jiggawattz said:

If it is open, try bumping it in case it fell through the cracks.

I've already bumped the ticket once; it probably won't hurt to bump a second time though...

• 1) open a thread here on let with this title: Scam + Brandname

2) Chargeback

Wrong way for the fighter.

• letssupplyletssupply Member
    edited April 2017

They dont offer livechat support? Sad to know how can anyone host with company not offering 24x7 livechat support.
    Try to find whois of the company to check for their phone no. to check your luck

• ArchArch Member

You'd think if it was a shady provider they'd jump on the opportunity to get more money from you. No harm in bumping the ticket again and maybe trying some of their other emails to get attention.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@letssupply said:
    They dont offer livechat support? Sad to know how can anyone host with company not offering 24x7 livechat support.
    Try to find whois of the company to check for their phone no. to check your luck

I know plenty of hosts who don't have 24x7 live chat but have ticket responses that are anywhere from 5-15 minutes 24x7.

• just cancel and move on, your relationship with this company is already over.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Ishaq said: holiday period but 3 days is a bit extreme

no such thing as holiday for tech support, I understand for sales/billing department, if company need money they are open on holidays

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited April 2017

letssupply said: They dont offer livechat support?

The provider does have a livechat, it has been closed though for the past few days...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Thanked by 1cassa
  • quick said: 1) open a thread here on let with this title: Scam + Brandname

[raindog308 said]Name and Shame

Is this a suggestion made in jest or is it serious?

I've checked out some other threads where people named their providers and complained about them, and needless to say, they weren't received very well.

• @MikeA said:

@letssupply said:

I know plenty of hosts who don't have 24x7 live chat but have ticket responses that are anywhere from 5-15 minutes 24x7.

In my experience live chat doesn't work well for web hosting. When things go wrong, its not always a simple "lol that wordpress plugin, silly". Things take time, investigation, research. Sometimes the fixes can take a while.

I'm happy to wait for a reply from a host a bit longer if I know the reply is going to be useful, or that when they do reply its been fixed.

I've had live chat on hosts before and it's been so useless I wondered why they bothered with it

• WSSWSS Member

Awhile back, I sent a message to a provider who had 64MB instances and offered a recent Ubuntu on it. Out of curiousity, I asked them how well it performed. They said it was usable- in an email response weeks later (after I had forgotten about them), so I grabbed one, since it was a whole $2/yr (and I had that in my PP at the time). This was a mistake.

It was automatically provisioned, but never worked. NEVER worked. I tried changing the primary IP; I tried rebooting and changing various different network based settings- nothing. Solus said it'd start, but it was never accessible from a virtual VNC console, or any IP bound to it. I showed demonstrably that from any transit point, all of the allocated IPs were inaccessible.

After a week of waiting for a response, I finally emailed them through PayPal, since they weren't reading their WHMCS support tickets.

Their next response was to send me a code worth $2 off of a service- which was responding to my FIRST pre-sale inquiry, but not the second. At this time, I was filled up with this lack of support, and put in a cancel request for the VPS that never worked in the first place.

@briehost, I am beyond disappoint.

• Running Ubuntu on a 64mb isn't going to end well. I don't understand why anyone wants to do that anyway. Plain 32-bit Debian works fine. I ran it on a 32MB for years. In fact it looks like I've got 64-bit Debian 8 on a 64MB right now and it works ok though I only do minimal things on it.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    Running Ubuntu on a 64mb isn't going to end well. I don't understand why anyone wants to do that anyway. Plain 32-bit Debian works fine. I ran it on a 32MB for years. In fact it looks like I've got 64-bit Debian 8 on a 64MB right now and it works ok though I only do minimal things on it.

They only offered it with Ubuntu. I asked about Debian- weeks later, they get back to me, I order one, can't use it, and a week later, give up and send them a message through registered PP account, and then just give up, block future transactions, and stick them in the 'shitlist' pile.

I mostly just wanted it to see what I could do by rebuilding essentially a busybox-design distribution with minimal resources, and figured keeping it external would keep me from taking shortcuts in case I decided to actually stick it out for others to build upon.

Heck, I've got a 32MB unit running Linux 3 as a NAT box, and it does fine until you get a couple 1080p streams running along with the usual SSH, YouTube, et al.. then it gets a little choppy.

• @WSS said:
    After a week of waiting for a response, I finally emailed them through PayPal, since they weren't reading their WHMCS support tickets.

Are you registered with PayPal?

In my case, I made the payment through PayPal but I use them as a payment processor; I don't have an account with them. Can I take action against the provider (such as a chargeback) through PayPal in my case?

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited April 2017

@WisdomIsNotHere said:
    You already have a PayPal account if you use them to pay, you just didn't realize...

So, just to be sure that I got your point: even the act of entering details on PayPal for one time payments registers you on PayPal?

Edit: doesn't seem to be the case. I obviously don't have a password since I just used them for a payment; when I tried resetting the password I got "There’s no account associated with this email. Try another email address or create a new account."

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

WisdomIsNotHere said: You already have a PayPal account if you use them to pay, you just didn't realize...

You dont need to sign up with them to pay through them. There is a way to just go straight to payment, entering card details. Does not automatically create an account for you.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited April 2017

I've had people pay me via Paypal and they just use their credit card. It works because I have an account. People paying me don't have to.

It's actually very handy to be able to take credit cards without having an account with any of the CC companies.

• WSSWSS Member

@stevewatson301 said:

@WSS said:

Are you registered with PayPal?

In my case, I made the payment through PayPal but I use them as a payment processor; I don't have an account with them. Can I take action against the provider (such as a chargeback) through PayPal in my case?

If you still have the email transaction, you can always contact PayPal support with that information- letting them know that you are an unregistered user. I don't know how they will proceed further in your case, but it can't hurt.