Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single-home Cogent AS174
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Single-home Cogent AS174

vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Anyone having VPS or Dedis on Pure Cogent Network AS174 in Chicago? How do you find the network and stability of the facility?

Thanks!

Comments

• Actually Cogent has a lot of value for the money, but using Cogent as a completely single carrier is risky.
    Using Cogent as a single-homed provide is worth if:
    - You don't need low latency. Many large ISPs peer with Cogent outside of their primary market.
    - You don't need IPv6. Cogent doesn't peer with HE, so you won't get global connectivity even if you buy full transit.
    - You have a backup connection you can switch to

Thanked by 2auriga muratai
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@mkamolins said:

However, I know a few popular LEB hosts who run/used to run on congent exclusively for sometime .

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@hostdare said:

@mkamolins said:

However, I know a few popular LEB hosts who run/used to run on congent exclusively for sometime .

Can you please list some examples? Our they are all out of business?

edited April 2017

Not really ,they are still going strong here . I cannot list sorry , as it will be hostile for me later as no sane host will like get publicity as single homed cogent !! It is based on my own research some months ago . You find yourself easily if you want ;) Also it might be temporary so they may have added more uplinks by now .

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

hostdare said: Not really ,they are still going strong here .

Which? No large VPS provider i know is singlehomed Cogent/all that use Cogent peers have other peers.

EDIT: Seems BuyVM NY is it, wow, unexpected. Even wanted to get at one point... shame on them, seriously. Worse than singlehomed HE.

174 does not announce any ranges for anyone of any larger size either.

The only one directly on Cogent is FDC, even Sologigabit has by now a secondary upstream.

hostdare said: I cannot list sorry , as it will be hostile for me later as no sane host will like get publicity as single homed cogent

Why is that your problem? They decided to be singlehomed and this is public data.

Unless you show other examples this is bs.

edited April 2017

I am not here to show and tell details . Yes this is public data but they would not like a publicity of single homed . As I said they may have added more by now. When I checked it was single homed with their location . It was a few months ago . Note again ,I am not mentioning anybody , so I am not bashing again . You can move on thinking as my post on hookah .

• hostdare said: I am not here to show and tell details . Yes this is public data but they would not like a publicity of single homed

I already noted its BuyVM. And that they should be ashamed for it.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Luna Node Toronto location is inside cogent's DC, all IPs are from cogent on AS174.

Thanked by 2auriga hostdare
  • UrDNUrDN Member

In Chicago I don't know but in other places around the world I know networks that only rely on cogentco for their ingress traffic.

One example is this: digicube.fr

And yes, since they have dropped all their peers it became total garbage.

Thanked by 1auriga
    edited April 2017

William said: I already noted its BuyVM. And that they should be ashamed for it.

No,another one ,sorry do not know them much . I said a few companies :) do not want to argue more ,sorry !!

/quit

• Might be.

But just let me name it again because it's so much fun: BuyVM NY is singlehomed Cogent. With a HE tunnel for IPv6. As "premium" provider. Shameful and inacceptable.

Thanked by 4Rhys Basil tux ucxo
    edited April 2017

i think some ddos providers also route through congent only. I have seen it before with some providers ! So need to careful when buying ddos products too. Also I think congent cheapest of all network providers ? @william
    I think protraf is/was doing that .

• @Francisco ??? Explenation please?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@William said:
    Might be.

But just let me name it again because it's so much fun: BuyVM NY is singlehomed Cogent. With a HE tunnel for IPv6. As "premium" provider. Shameful and inacceptable.

@sanvit said:
    @Francisco ??? Explenation please?

I've had bigger things to deal with as of late. An additional provider is being added into NY soon enough, but it's not at the top of my priority list. It'll either be a pre-mixed blend of HE/L3/TINET or a direct port with L3/Zayo/etc.

While they get hated on, actual paying customers have been very happy. The ones curious i've explained things and offered a refund if it's a problem. To date not a single person has been up in arms over it minus the few people that want a bit faster IPV6.

As for Chicago, if you're looking at FDC i'm not sure if they're in a Cogent facility or their own still. From what I recall they moved their whole Denver shop into Cogent's space.

Francisco

Thanked by 1hostdare
    edited April 2017

Cogent DC is cheaper guys ?

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited April 2017

@hostdare said:
    Congent DC is cheaper guys ?

It's Cogent not Congent ;)

And yes, they are cheap. I've seen some $90/month for dedicated unmetered gbit colocation (via FDC).

@hostdare said:

Due to how much bandwidth we bought with them we got our racks for a great price.

Francisco

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

Francisco said: While they get hated on, actual paying customers have been very happy

I have Cogent in Europe. Absolutely useless BW outside of abusing for transport, and i can get you 10+ ISPs right now that will immediately agree with this and show proof for it.

This might work for now in the US for you, but only because you have no one with serious traffic towards Level3 or AT&T/Comcast/DTAG.

I hope you have also very solid contracts - Cogent DCs in EU (eg. France) contain clauses that they can cancel you any crossconnect within a few months notice and effectively cut you out of access to any other upstream.

Francisco said: that want a bit faster IPV6.

And SLA on IPv6. Tunnelbroker has no SLA and zero guarantees of anything.

Francisco said: As for Chicago, if you're looking at FDC i'm not sure if they're in a Cogent facility or their own still

FDC is by now essentially the dedicated server sales side of Cogent, especially in Europe - Denver was closed (i think long time ago?), CHI no idea though.

Thanked by 2hostdare atrava
    edited April 2017

@Ishaq said:

@hostdare said:

It's Cogent not Congent ;)

My mobile also try auto correct me haha
    100 Gbps dedicated server is 4999 USD at fdc

• We have recently tested Cogent in Europe and I must say the quality and the performance of the network was great. Sometimes (with larger residential carriers like DTAG, Liberty Global or France Telecom) the latency increased (comparing to Telia) but there were 0 complaints from customers.

I would personally list couple of usecases where Cogent as primary upstream would be a reasonable choice:
    - You don't need low latency. For example: VOD distribution, VoIP (which needs 0 jitter and stable connection more, then low latency), VPN
    - You use Cogent where it has many peerings with Tier-1 or Tier-2 carriers (for example, London in Europe)
    - You are focused on a local country market and get local traffic via local IXP. Cogent would be a good choice for International connectivity then

In additional I must mention great experience with their delivery and support teams. Everything was on time and as expected. So, for a short summary: Cogent is a good choice, just make sure it's right for you, since it's not for everyone.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited April 2017

mkamolins said: Sometimes (with larger residential carriers like DTAG, Liberty Global or France Telecom) the latency increased

If only it were just latency....

[root@asterisk ~]# traceroute -6 www.cogentco.com traceroute to www.cogentco.com (2001:550:1::cc01), 30 hops max, 80 byte packets 1 p20030058BE1B27010000000000000001.dip0.t-ipconnect.de (2003:58:be1b:2701::1) 0.613 ms 0.458 ms 0.407 ms 2 2003:0:1403:281::1 (2003:0:1403:281::1) 27.052 ms 26.678 ms 26.777 ms 3 2003:0:1403:298::2 (2003:0:1403:298::2) 33.669 ms !N 33.521 ms !N 33.630 ms !N

• @William said:
    FDC is by now essentially the dedicated server sales side of Cogent, especially in Europe > - Denver was closed (i think long time ago?), CHI no idea though.

They still have their own facility in CHI, I had some friends move from FDC to Tzulo the other weekend. I believe they plan to move into Cogent facilities in CHI though.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Every transit provider has weaknesses and the weaknesses can be magnified in certain geographic locations.

Cogent has some great routes, and others that aren't very good. This can be said of pretty much any major network. They make a great, low cost addition to a multihomed network. For the price, Cogent also has very responsive support - one of the best NOCs in the industry. Their first line techs generally know what they are talking about and are empowered to do many things that would require escalation with other carriers. They have some odd policies but generally they are pretty easy to work with.

edited April 2017

William said: I have Cogent in Europe. Absolutely useless BW outside of abusing for transport, and i can get you 10+ ISPs right now that will immediately agree with this and show proof for it.

Quite possible, at no point did I say we planned to move to a Cogent-only facility. While they were pressing for us to move to NL/DE, I wasn't interested in either. While they drive me batty at times, I like Luxembourg. We will be adding Cogent over there shortly, but that'll be accompanied by Root's own blend.

William said: This might work for now in the US for you, but only because you have no one with serious traffic towards Level3 or AT&T/Comcast/DTAG.

Cogent has peering and capacity agreements with Comcast, AT&T, Charter, Verizon, and some other major eye balls. I have Comcast users that rip 10MB~15MB/sec from coast to coast without issue.

I don't know about DTAG, many of our EU customers stick to LUX and such. I do know I've seen you mention DTAG being an issue for a lot of networks though.

William said: And SLA on IPv6. Tunnelbroker has no SLA and zero guarantees of anything.

and Choopa has an SLA they refuse to pay out on. With Choopa it was extremely common for us to have multi hour to multi day outages on IPV6 because they had some weird router issue where any time they made a modification to the configuration it'd lose all of its IPV6 configuration (or had to be rebound). In the 3+ years we were at Choopa we had 20+ tickets about IPV6 outages and many of them had multiple bumps in them because the issue happened multiple times in a short period.

They only ended up fixing this back in the fall when they had to replace that router as it was affecting Vultr.

William said: FDC is by now essentially the dedicated server sales side of Cogent, especially in Europe - Denver was closed (i think long time ago?), CHI no idea though.

I think that's a fair way to look at it. Denver still exists, but its now inside of Cogent's facility and not their own space like it was prior. There was a bit of discussion on WHT about how they were forcing all of their bread rack customers to either buy a lot of shelves or to buy 1U chassis and migrate components to them.

Francisco

edited April 2017

@qps Yes cogent should be good with multi homed as it is cost saving .In fact most dc have cogent . Only issue many face is if the facility only cogent single homed ,but if people are able to maintain it that way , good for them .

• Francisco said: Cogent has peering and capacity agreements with Comcast, AT&T, Charter, Verizon, and some other major eye balls. I have Comcast users that rip 10MB~15MB/sec from coast to coast without issue.

Sure. Off peak. FIOS LA -> Cogent EU -> 14:00 PST (that is 23:00 West EU, Off peak) -> Useless, 2MB/s on 200Mbit+.

Will test via your LG a few times/few days, but you'll see this will not look nice.

You in US also possibly get preference over the EU bound links - a known Cogent problem is trans-atlantic.

Francisco said: I don't know about DTAG, many of our EU customers stick to LUX and such. I do know I've seen you mention DTAG being an issue for a lot of networks though.

You need DTAG in the Cogent case for anything Tmobile EU bound and certain South American countries. It is a lot of issue for many, but extremely an issue on Cogent and HE.

Francisco said: and Choopa has an SLA they refuse to pay out on

That means you need a lawyer, not that there is no SLA - you cannot compare this to none at all.

When my upstream refuses to honor their SLA i go my lawyer after a few mails/max 2 letters, what am i, some idiot? Do you want to be the idiot here? Lawyer. Letter. Money.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Wow, this thread have turned into a Cogent provider bashing thread :)

vmhaus said: Wow, this thread have turned into a Cogent provider bashing thread :)

This what LET is :) bashing single homed people haha

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@hostdare said:

vmhaus said: Wow, this thread have turned into a Cogent provider bashing thread :)

This what LET is :) bashing single homed people haha

Because you should never single home to a Tier 1 carrier.

Thanked by 1hostdare