Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pure SSD VPS - Would you be interested?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pure SSD VPS - Would you be interested?

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited June 2013 in Providers

So, folks, I'm about to start selling VPS, OpenVZ, I'd be offering the following:

1GB RAM
10GB Pure SSD Space
4 CPU Fair Share
1TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbit Connection
UK Location
Price: 7$

Node Specifications:

Quad Core 3.40Ghz (E3-1240v2)
2 x 240GB SSD
32GB RAM

What do you guys think about this offer? :-)

I have been in the webhosting business since 2004, yes, really!

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I can't see how that would be profitable for you as you could only sell a max of 24 and I would consider that overselling.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm getting feedback about the plan itself, why can I only sell a max of 24?:)

240GB/10GB = 24 plans

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited June 2013

@MrGeneral Try offering smaller offers something like 1$ month (or 12$ year, quarterly is fair too - because payment processors add transaction fee) with less CPU/RAM/BW. You'll target bigger audience and attract more people. Pay attention to resource management in order to provide good service. If people are satisfied from the service, when they need more resources they'll upgrade. At the end if You have done everything right You'll have a lot of customers.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

Redstation, mmm. Don't think I'd be too keen on that, especially from someone struggling for a VPS for under 10 Euros.

@trewq said:
    240GB/10GB = 24 plans

You're assuming I'll be using Raid to backup the first disk... I am not going to run any backups, it's a cheap service, low profit that will atract clients to my other future segment :-)

@Janevski said:
    MrGeneral Try offering smaller offers something like 1$ month (or 12$ year, quarterly is fair too - because payment processors add transaction fee) with less CPU/RAM/BW. You'll target bigger audience and attract more people. If they are satisfied from the service, when they need more resources they'll upgrade.

Thank you for the sggestion, but that can't even pay for the IP itself :-P

@Infinity said:
    Redstation, mmm. Don't think I'd be too keen on that, especially from someone struggling for a VPS for under 10 Euros.

Exactly, hosted @ redstation network :-)

Note that, this would be a promotion designed for LEB, my market niche is not LEB, and prices would definitely be a little more expensive, but would have more disk space, etc.

@MrGeneral said:
    You're assuming I'll be using Raid to backup the first disk... I am not going to run any backups, it's a cheap service, low profit that will atract clients to my other future segment :-)

You need RAID1 minimum.

@trewq said:
    You need RAID1 minimum.

Why so? I am sure lots of providers here are not running any backup even :-), I mean, for 7$, with backup option enabled in solusvm, the client is responsible for the backups.

You're not running RAID? Even more of a reason not to trust you, especially if you've been in the industry since 2004.

Infinity,

I love when LEB folks judge others so easily.
    I got RAID in my webhosting services, and r1soft as well ;-)

Thank you for your words, you may now close this threads.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Well... I've been thinking for 5 minutes and can't think of a single host out here that is not RAID1 or RAID10/5 protected.. It's just asking for trouble.

@MrGeneral said:
    Why so? I am sure lots of providers here are not running any backup even :-), I mean, for 7$, with backup option enabled in solusvm, the client is responsible for the backups.

Because if you lose all your data all your clients will just walk away.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited June 2013

@MrGeneral said:
    Thank you for the sggestion, but that can't even pay for the IP itself :-P

Try a datacenter with cheaper IPs and/or offer it for 2$ then. I just suggested one dollar as an affordable example.

@trewq said:
    Because if you lose all your data all your clients will just walk away.

Sir, you have several offers posted here that highlight the fact that they do not run any kind of backups. The client is responsible for the backups.

@Janevski said:
    Try a datacenter with cheaper IPs and/or offer it for 2$ then. I just suggested one dollar as an affordable example.

Thank you, but that business model wouldnt work anyway :-)

@Alex_LiquidHost said:
    Well... I've been thinking for 5 minutes and can't think of a single host out here that is not RAID1 or RAID10/5 protected.. It's just asking for trouble.

Just search for a while here.. :-)

Thank you for your opinions, I appreciate.
    No more input needed for now as I'll be thinking about the business model.

@MrGeneral said:
    Sir, you have several offers posted here that highlight the fact that they do not run any kind of backups. The client is responsible for the backups.

Correct, however we run RAID1 in Dallas and RAID10 in Phoenix.

@trewq said:
    Correct, however we run RAID1 in Dallas and RAID10 in Phoenix.

I am sorry, perhaps I didn't explain it well. I mean, there are several offers @ LEB that surely do not run any kind of backup, and some of those even advertise it.

I'd definitely like to know how you guys can get profit from such offers, for example, yours, even hosting 100 clients on a node wouldnt get you profit.
    (Being reasonable).
    I asked for your opinion and received it, I appreciate, now please, no more comments needed, as it was a bad start to be judged from one of the Admins here.

I loved when this was all managed by LEA :-)

• For $9.30/m I can get a 1GB VZ RamNode with Backups, RAID, 3x the pure SSD space, 2 IP addresses. The SSD performance will probably be better.

For $10/m before any deals I can get 30GB of raid protected SSD on FlipHost which also has backups, etc.

Probably not.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Gotta love the pure SSD stuff though, the providers that you just know aren't overselling like crazy on E3s and SSDs.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

Not intersted in 1GB or SSD, I want a LEB! 64-96-128 LEB! ...SSD or not, would prefer IDE UDMA 166 ....

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

@Infinity said:

I don't see the problem. Redstation is running a 65 IP (/29 + /26) "free for 6 months" promo so the cost is only £119.99 monthly for the 1st 6 months. Summer is only 3 months long. :P

https://my.redstation.com/server/custom-configurator.aspx

You're assuming I'll be using Raid to backup the first disk... I am not going to run any backups, it's a cheap service

I wouldn't call Raid1 a real backup solution. If the server sustains damage you could wind up with 100% data loss on 2 drives and no backup.

I've been thinking for 5 minutes and can't think of a single host out here that is not RAID1 or RAID10/5 protected.

GinerNet (Spain) no raid and they're using OpenVZ running inside KVM.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said:

cough URPad cough

Regardless, RAID != backup

You can't replace a drive without RAID 1 or 5 because the data needs to be migrated first. You honestly are stupid as shit: what do you expect to happen to the data when you swap the drive? Or do your drives NEVER fail, of course they do! They don't last forever and need to be replaced in time.

You are one of those cPanel noobs, starts with a reseller then "upgrades" to some shithole VPS and can't afford WHMCS so you use nulled and have like 7 customers.

Being registered on WHT since 2004 doesn't mean you are actually IN the industry since 2004...

• blackblack Member

^ This guy mad.

@DomainBop said:
    I don't see the problem. Redstation is running a 65 IP (/29 + /26) "free for 6 months" promo so the cost is only £119.99 monthly for the 1st 6 months. Summer is only 3 months long. :P

>

Well he missed the £49 preorder special, that was a good deal I have to admit.

Anyhow, thread closed as per request.

This discussion has been closed.