Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS addiction issues....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS addiction issues....

OK, so I can't control my habit! Every time someone offers a VPS around $10 a year I end up buying it. I find a project to use it for and then forget about it. With OVH opening a DC in the UK in May / June, I am seriously thinking about buying a dedicated server and sticking proxmox on it, and over the next year cancelling all my VPSes. In terms of backups, I will rsync the info back home, at the moment I have a VPS for this. Will this help with the habit or will I just end up with a dedi box and a load of VPSes? I know a number of you run multiple VPSes and Dedi's. I guess there is a part of me that's nervous about having all my eggs (Easter reference) in one basket, I don't suppose OVH are going anywhere...

I do have a couple of VPSes which I use for "production" from bigger providers to try and mitigate some of that risk at the moment, will I just end up with two dedi's in different OVH DCs... Arrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

I would never put anything important all on one machine. Although I have a couple dedis, I still find use in well-located VPSs. You can certainly pair down your VPS, and having the hardware dedicated to you allows you to scale much better that you don't have to worry about sharing anything with abusers and hoggers.

Personally, I prefer Hetzner to OVH -but their locations are not quite as nice for various locals. (I'm too cheap to continue paying for Hetzner, so most of my stuff is at OVH right now.)

You will continue to buy cheap VPS, and either find a use for him, or let them sit and idle. It is possible to lower the number, but I've never been able to completely drop them, myself.

The general rule is if something is far too cheap, it's a promo that's not going to last - or it's a service that won't last.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited April 2017

Don't buy what you don't need. Cancel what you don't need. Set a spending limit for yourself if that helps. That is assuming you have the willpower and self-control necessary.

If this is negatively affecting you in the sense that you waste too much time on it and spend too much money, treat it like any other addiction and get help. If it isn't negatively affecting you, just treat it like a hobby, everyone needs one. Some people play golf, others collect idle servers.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • TionTion Member

KS-3C killed my addiction.

• Just try it and tell us how it is going for you

• michaels said: I am seriously thinking about buying a dedicated server and sticking proxmox on it... Will this help with the habit or will I just end up with a dedi box and a load of VPSes?

Dream on. You will just become a dedi addict instead of a VPS addict. I have 4 dedis now :O

• WSSWSS Member
    edited April 2017

@willie said:

michaels said: I am seriously thinking about buying a dedicated server and sticking proxmox on it... Will this help with the habit or will I just end up with a dedi box and a load of VPSes?

Dream on. You will just become a dedi addict instead of a VPS addict. I have 4 dedis now :O

Tell me about it! Sadly, I had prepaid for my ks1s- so I can't get rid of those until May! They're perfect static site and name service machines, but they just aren't worth the cost.

Saying that, I try to convince myself it's just another 5 Euros to keep it on..

• Oh good, at least these conversations aren't just in my head...

• Right now i am currently arranging Colo'ing a Dedi in the UK with proxmox to replace every single VPS of mine minus 2. One OVH/Online VPN and 1 UK Backup Teamspeak that's it

• WSSWSS Member

@michaels said:
    Oh good, at least these conversations aren't just in my head...

Are your VPS talking to you? That could be the sign of a problem.. Unless you got one of those talking Atoms that people were discussing yesterday.

Thanked by 2ucxo yomero
  • They whisper... Buy me, buy me, you really need a VPS with 512Mb RAM in randomland

• sinsin Member

@willie said:

michaels said: I am seriously thinking about buying a dedicated server and sticking proxmox on it... Will this help with the habit or will I just end up with a dedi box and a load of VPSes?

I know right :( Bought a dedi last week and then I saw a slight upgraded version this week and now I have to get that one too

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Tion said: KS-3C killed my addiction.

Oxycontin cured my codeine addiction.

Thanked by 2Amitz sin
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2017

We have all been there...
    I had over 50 VPS at one point and decided to go with one dedicated server instead. Had more than 10 dedicated servers 3 months later.

In the meantime, I have cut down everthing to 3 VPS and 1 dedicated server. I feel so much better than before! :-)

raindog308 said: Oxycontin cured my codeine addiction.

Harhar... ;-)

• Fuck bought Dedi. Waiting for delivery at DC.

i3-2120
    8GB DDR3
    3x500GB
    1x1TB

Not bad hoping to upgrade to 4x2TB in the upcoming months

• LeeLee Veteran

But I like all the flashing stuff on my observium dashboard telling me all the things my servers are not doing.

Thanked by 3yomero michaels sin
  • ehabehab Member

if LET stops .... we will be cured.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • WSSWSS Member

@ehab said:
    if LET stops .... we will be cured.

Then we'll get a few more VPS and setup a rudimentary chat network for us to shitpost and share dick pics while trying to goad @Francisco into being less abrasive than @Nekki 's whiskers after a month's hiatus as an anal gimp in Thailand.

• GenjiSwitchPls said:

Fuck bought Dedi. Waiting for delivery at DC.

i3-2120 8GB DDR3 3x500GB 1x1TB

Worldstream? I hope you paid a year up front, because of the discount.

• Welcome to the LowEndTherapists office.

The current wait time is now: 3yrs 2days 13hours and 5 mins for the doctor. If you can not wait this long please check out the offers section.

Thank You and have a nice day.

• saf31saf31 Member

this can be easily cured by http://cloudatcost.com/

• WSSWSS Member

@saf31 said:
    this can be easily cured by http://cloudatcost.com/

You forgot Aruba. Although they're comically bad- they actually work better than over half the OnApp based systems I've come to know and not trust. It only took them about 6 hours from payment to having a functional login, so...

Thanked by 1saf31
  • bunch of kimsufi ks3-c special and some online.net's specials and one vultr vps and cdn from bunnycdn cure me for a while.
    but when there comes a really good dedicated server offer on LET, I know I just can't resist myself

please let there be no dedi offer, please ...

• BopieBopie Member
    edited April 2017

I had this problem once, I cured it, Now I just host all the idle VPS's for all of you ;) or in @wss he doesn't even pay for his server :O

• @willie said:

GenjiSwitchPls said:

Fuck bought Dedi. Waiting for delivery at DC.

i3-2120 8GB DDR3 3x500GB 1x1TB

Worldstream? I hope you paid a year up front, because of the discount.

eBay for Colo. It's only temporary while i build my new one

• @Bopie said:
    I had this problem once, I cured it, Now I just host all the idle VPS's for all of you ;) or in @wss he doesn't even pay for his server :O

WTH man where is my freebie?

• BopieBopie Member

@AuroraZ said:

@Bopie said:

He probed me and forced me to give it him :()

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • pcanpcan Member

If you have the collector attitude (someting you are born with), I would say that VPS addiction is far better than the only logical alternative: collecting old servers because they are dirt cheap or even free, and may be still useful for that ptoject you may eventually do in the future. So you end up with ever growing colocation fees and/or filling up the house with noisy, dusty and power hungry things. After I switched to VPS, I can park the car in the garage again.
    By the way, I consolidated some high resources VPS on a OVH dedicated server with a much better outcome.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @Bopie said:

@AuroraZ said:

@Bopie said:

He probed me and forced me to give it him :()

Sorry man not my bag unless you are a 5ft 7inch blonde Asian. :-P

• nepsneps Member

willie said: Dream on. You will just become a dedi addict instead of a VPS addict. I have 4 dedis now :O

This