Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for a vps with alot of cpu power
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for a vps with alot of cpu power

tr1ckytr1cky Member
edited June 2013 in Help

Hello guys,

I am looking for a vps with alot of cpu power in the EU, I actually had a vps that scored a Unixbench of 2500 and my site was too heavy to run there, during peak hours it got very slow.

Actually I need a lot of cpu, but not much diskspace and ram, I think 20GB disk and 1gb ram will suit.

Can anyone recommend me a provider?

Regards

tr1cky

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Perhaps a small dedicated server may do better for you?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

I could offer you a VPS on a i7 3930k node with fair use 6 cores, plan is the same as the one in my signature

• MunMun Member

Dedicated would be better

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Actually there are vps with a unixbench around 2000, they cost from 5€ / Month, like prometeus, the lowcost dedicated servers, starting at 15€ / Month (e.g. ovh) have Atom processors and they score like 1000 on unixbench, so they are worth less than a 5€ / Month vps. The cheapest dedicated I found that has a good performance for the price is the OVH KS R-8G from here: http://www.ovh.de/dedicated_server/isgenug.xml

This one scores around 4000 on unixbench, but comparing this, I could also get two prometeus vps and would have the same performance for 10€, unfortunately I can't setup a load balanced system for what I want to do.

• rds100rds100 Member

What's so special about this site? Are you sure the slowdown was CPU related and not HDD access related?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

There's nothing special about the site, but it outscales most of the vps, like it seems, I already use lighty + php-fpm + xcache + a tuned mysql system.

I don't think this is related to the hdd, the speed is actually pretty good:

root@hm:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k conv=fdatasync 1024+0 records in 1024+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.47411 s, 434 MB/s

• That Unixbench score is not low at all and your HDD is within the good numbers for a website. You should take a look at your network speed or the web application itself (php, perl, java, python, etc,). Messy code could provide your users with a bad (slow) user experience with a low site speed and subpar Apdex score.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

The cheapest dedicated I found that has a good performance for the price is the OVH KS R-8G from here: http://www.ovh.de/dedicated_server/isgenug.xml

What you see is not always what you get when you order one of OVH's Kimsufi serversi. :) It's fairly common for them to throw something with better specs your way depending on what they have in stock when you place your order.. The last KS R-8G I received from OVH was an i3-3240 with SATA 3 drives (not the advertised i3-2130 with SATA 2's)..

• Maybe you should find out why this high cpu load happened, in many case, low ram will cause high cpu.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Dedi with on a good network. Wont be super cheap like a vps but if you go on wht you could find an atom dedi for relatively cheap.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2013

Just to convince you, that there's no problem with the network speed, here is a speedtest to Germany, where the most of my visitors come from:

wget http://speedtest.qsc.de/100MB.qsc
    --2013-06-15 12:54:02-- http://speedtest.qsc.de/100MB.qsc
    Resolving speedtest.qsc.de... 195.90.7.115
    Connecting to speedtest.qsc.de|195.90.7.115|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [text/plain]
    Saving to: â100MB.qscâ

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 30.5M/s in 3.8s

2013-06-15 12:54:05 (26.4 MB/s) - â100MB.qsc

Also I'm not running some fancy software, I just run vBulletin, with some plugins to optimise it, I don't run vbseo, which can often be a performance hog. Here is the current memory usage (note it could be alot lower but mysql is configured to use alot of ram aswell as xcache and there are many php-fpm children idling):

free -m total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 2012 1873 139 0 94 642 -/+ buffers/cache: 1136 876 Swap: 3907 148 3759

• prae5prae5 Member

How many hits / users are you seeing at peak times.

Also, your upload speed is more important. You need to check these at your peak periods too.

• If you've outgrown a VPS you need a dedicated server as said.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Okay, now it's close to peak hours and CPU load is 2.16 with 1 core, allthough upload is not ideal, it's ok:

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@concerto49 said:
    If you've outgrown a VPS you need a dedicated server as said.

I don't think I outgrew a vps, but there seem to be vps for 5€ / month and vps for 10€ / month, but these 10€ servers don't have more power, I think there is a lack of power in the 15-20€ range, it's pretty sad, that there's no provider like RamNode in the EU.

• marcmmarcm Member

@tr1cky UnixBench scores are heavily influenced by virtualization types. You will most likely get the best score with a KVM VPS with lots of cores, however you will most likely be flagged by the provider for abuse. Your best bet would be a Xen VPS. UnixBench is not the only thing to go by. Also with Xen scores will always be lower because Xen never allocates all of the CPU's resources to a single VPS.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2013

Look into Edis Vservers, they come with 24 CPU cores. You are looking at 8€/month in Austria.

• prae5prae5 Member

@tr1cky said:
    I don't think I outgrew a vps, but there seem to be vps for 5€ / month and vps for 10€ / month, but these 10€ servers don't have more power, I think there is a lack of power in the 15-20€ range, it's pretty sad, that there's no provider like RamNode in the EU.

My Prometheous / Iperweb vps more than match my ramnode vps's.

Have you identified what is causing your load yet? Simply upgrading to a more expensive / bigger vps or dedi wont necessarily improve things unless its targeting the right areas.

How many concurrent connections / io wait / traffic are you seeing during your peak hours? What specifically is causing your load / perceived slowdown, etc...

Better to understand what is causing your load first then move if required, elase you may find you still have the same issues.

• @tr1cky said:

Have u ever heard of iniz? Their NL SSD node outperforms RamNode's SSD vps's, by peaking 1.4 gb/s.

I have a vps with Iniz and @Patrick support is freaking amazing.

Contact @Patrick and he'll help you out :)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited June 2013

@Makkesk8 said:

Thanks but i'd probably not take @tr1cky on, we don't allow CPU intensive stuff on our servers and the node with most cores is the E5-2620 which performs lower then his UNIX benchmark theory

But out of interest our SSD Plans could work but what exactly is your CPU usage @tr1cky?

• hello,

i am new in this forum i have good infrastructure and servers using hardwrare raid i want to promote or

post to vps packages using http://omlinux.com

https://shop.omlinux.com

how i can what i should do advise me plz if you can :)

• vnetvnet Member

Require high CPU, or use a dedicated server now!

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited June 2013

@tr1cky said:
    Hello guys,

I am looking for a vps with alot of cpu power in the EU, I actually had a vps that scored a Unixbench of 2500 and my site was too heavy to run there, during peak hours it got very slow.

Actually I need a lot of cpu, but not much diskspace and ram, I think 20GB disk and 1gb ram will suit.

Can anyone recommend me a provider?

Regards

tr1cky

If You insist that much on a VPS i think that the only VPS that's going to fit Your request is buying a VPS with dedicated core. However such special request VPSes come at a bigger price well outside the LowEndBox range - which is normal, after all You're taking away one core for yourself from the server machine.
    My opinion is that VPS with dedicated core is a drag for the server (VPS host node), or at least a drag for the business plan of most VPS providers.
    So, it appears that the time has come for You to chose a dedicated server.
    Also even more important the time has come to consider optimization of the system, make it distributed, make it load balanced, have a fail over functionality.

• i can calculaltion for you bandwidth with configuration

• let me know till u not purchase vps :)