Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for minecraft & samp?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for minecraft & samp?

WInterntWInternt Member
edited June 2013 in General

Hi

Is there any good host selling VPS without restrictions for Minecraft and SA:MP? With at least 3/4Gb ram dedicated, on a 1Gbit/s port to be able to stop some DDoS....

Right now I have a VPS (OpenVZ) in uk with 2Gb dedicated and 2 Gb Burst for less than 10£... (And without any lag problems)

I'm searching for something with 1 or 2 more Gb of ram, and with a better network because of DDoS (I don't know if I will be attacked, but only to make sure I'm minimally protected from small attacks), on uk, france, or something like that with good pings too spain/portugal.

Thanks

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Do you get attacked currently?

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Should have DDOS protected IPs ready for Minecraft by the end of the day, if you're interested. Can do the exact specs you're looking for.

• @Fliphost said:
    Do you get attacked currently?

Some months ago I had a minecraft server with 30 players, and a samp server with 70 players daily all on my vps, and for 2/3 days I was attacked with 90mbit/s.

Now I have no problems, but I dont know the future...

@RobertClarke said:
    Should have DDOS protected IPs ready for Minecraft by the end of the day, if you're interested. Can do the exact specs you're looking for.

Only for minecraft? how much ddos protected? locations on europe?

@WInternt said:
    Only for minecraft? how much ddos protected? locations on europe?

No Europe protection, basically advertising it as common attacks, so anywhere from 2-10gbit, depending on the recurrence of the attack.

• KBVEKBVE Member

Are SA:MP servers legal? I feel as if they were werent

• @KBVE said:
    Are SA:MP servers legal? I feel as if they were werent

Why are you saying this, all the gsps I know sell samp servers :o , some of them are very big companys like verygames...

• No one? :(

• retryretry Member

Sadly there are no good protection available at an affordable rate in EU.
    I'm not sure about limevps/voxility, but Javapipe is good but cost a lot.
    Recently someone posted about http://x4b.net/ I'm not sure about them though.

@WInternt said:
    No one? :(

Our US protected IPs are now available, if you'd consider the US.

• @RobertClarke said:
    Our US protected IPs are now available, if you'd consider the US.

Can you give me an ip to test pings?

@WInternt 198.52.198.52

• WInterntWInternt Member
    edited June 2013

190 ms :(, it's too much, but anyway, thank you for the offer... But I really need an offer on europe :s

Maybe some vps like mine but with 1Gbit/s port for the same price on europe?

The only problem of mine VPS is that in the past (some months ago) we were attacked during one week (90Mbit/s attack, random ports) and since the VPS only has 100Mbit/s port...

• retryretry Member

@WInternt If you do find one, do tell ;)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

I have EU protection services, reverse proxy style protection (or GRE if you volunteer to beta test). PM me for a discount (since no mod has got back to regarding permission to post a the link).

Not LEB but very cheap. You wont find DDoS protection for LEB in EU.

• You can try OVH atom dedicated server, seems only $20/mo

• @ComfortVPS said:
    You can try OVH atom dedicated server, seems only $20/mo

But that have any DDoS protection? Since the connection is only 100Mbit/s, if I receive an 90/100Mbit/s DDoS.....

edited June 2013

OVH has the exact opposite to DDoS protection, not only do they nullroute you they ask you to leave after 2 incidents.

DDoS protection in EU is pretty difficult your options are basically limited to Voxility (although you want a reseller with their own TCP filtering as Voxility on its own is pretty basic) or a couple DCs in Netherlands. All are in the $500+ per server bracket generally.

Far more important that the connection speed is PPS, most network cards are only good for <100kPPS (less if its a low end server, more if you are lucky), floods can easily reach 3M PPS.

Sum 14.591 flows/300s (48 flows/s), 150.061.000 packets/300s (500.203 packets/s), 12,925 GByte/300s (352 MBit/s)

An example of a very small attack I've seen (one of the smallest I have records on) against a gameserver.

• Humm I'm learning something new, what is PPS exactly?

When I was attacked some months ago, I received 90Mbit/s/100Mbit/s attack to my VPS on random ports, my host couldn't nullroute it because they were too many ip's to nullroute (Botnet) .

As I said, I host SAMP and Minecraft on a VPS, we are a small gaming community so we don't have so much money to spend :(

edited June 2013

PPS = Packets per second?

How can I test my network card PPS?

Yes PPS is packets per second.

Testing can be done (as ICMP) via hping (from another machine). Although that might not be a good real world test.

Just another thing my estimation of 100k is not a scientific measurement, purely empirical. Its based on observations I have seen of floods and not on any testing of modern hardware. I however would be surprised if a consumer grade / affordable server network card could do much more.

edited June 2013

Summarizing, there is no solution to block small DDoS attacks on my actuall VPS... The only method is change the network connection from 100Mbit/s to 1Gbit/s...

edited June 2013

Right?

While upgrading the network port to 1Gbit may help against small uneducated attempts, even the smallest booters and botnets can generate more bandwidth and PPS than you can serve. So yes your summary is correct.

In addition one avenue not even mentioned, cost. Even if you could absorb it would you want to? Most likely you are going to be paying upwards of $5-20 per TB for bandwidth at a consumer level (less if it is oversold or the VPS provider doesn't have any margins on bandwidth). Attacks would therefore cost $50 - $200 a day. Considering you are currently paying less than 10£ a bit pricey.

TL;DR Yes you are correct

• When we were attacked on the past, the host has reset the bandwidth counter.

On the past when the DDoS(90Mbit/s / 100 attack) attacked random ports, if was less of 100 Mbit / s, the servers ran reasonably well, but when it was more than 100Mbit/s........ VPS down :(