Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There's a new "Ultimate gadget for LEB enthusiasts"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

There's a new "Ultimate gadget for LEB enthusiasts"

yowmamasitayowmamasita Member
edited January 2012 in General

Being sold in China for $7
target international price is $15
3 times faster than Raspberry Pi

http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/news/

Guys, this is just the start of the year!

Comments

• CentaurCentaur Member
    edited January 2012

Nice, can't wait for the tablets that are powered by that nice beast. Will really disrupt the western tablet brands.

But just think how energy efficient it will be, lol. You will have a fast LEB and its green.

Edit: Here is a thread where people are listing tablets that are powered by the Allwinner http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/cortex-a8-allwinner-a10/list-tablets-powered-allwinner-a10-processor-141.html

• @Centaur said: Will really disrupt the western tablet brands.

Such as...

• The Amazon Fire, Apple, Dell, etc. Even though most of these tablets are manufactured in Asia, they are still western companies. The Allwinner will disrupt those brands because it is so cheap, especially the Amazon and Nook. A lot of these more expensive tablets do have better CPUs but, for the price the Allwinner can't be beaten.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

One problem I've noticed with all "non-quality" tablet brands is exactly that, they are sub-par quality. I don't care what the performance is like if the battery stops holding a charge after 1 month. After the RMA process (ever try to RMA something to China?) you're looking at paying the same as an Amazon Fire which has the performance and reliability you need in a mobile device.

I know dozens of co-workers who have spent a lot of money on the $100-$200 tablets looking for a good deal and all of them have had 1 or more of the same things happen:

1) The battery dies.
    2) The screen dies.
    3) The motherboard or other internal component dies.

Every single person I know who has bought a sub-$200, generic tablet has ended up buying a $200 name brand device within 6 months.

• Tablets? Guys... forget tablets.

Nodes. Nodes with custom motherboards created to hold up to 100 of those cheap bastards. Someday maybe lag will be a word only old people use. Maybe someday hosting will just be free. (that'd suck for you guys)

Actually now that I think of it tablets and phones would be great. They can work into making the devices cooler and not have to worry about speed.

I use the Pandigital SuperNova and I have GetJar, Android Market, and Amazon Appstore on it. It's cool and outputs 1080p to my 40 inch LED and it's fun to watch Netflix and my live wallpapers and browse and stuff while I lie in bed thinking of how high tech I am.

edited January 2012

Nvm.

@Naruto said: Maybe someday hosting will just be free.

If electricity, real estate, and bandwidth were free then so would hosting. :)

• Someday maybe it'll be like Star Trek and we won't want things we could just have them made. Like food, or women. We won't need real estate because we can just hover out in space and everyone will have free wifi that freely interacts with each other because bad things have been disabled and everyone's home will be part of a huge CDN. It would all run off solar power and love.

• @KuJoe said: @Naruto said: Maybe someday hosting will just be free.

If electricity, real estate, and bandwidth were free then so would hosting. :)

Let's move to North Korea.

@Naruto said: Someday maybe it'll be like Star Trek

They still have currency in Star Trek to purchase things. It still costs resources to make things also. I know my nerd side is showing but you should check our the blueprints of the starships they use and it'll show you where they store all of their raw resources that the replicators use to make things. ;)

• I'm hoping this project will go ahead (who doesn't want 20 new servers consuming the same amount of power as their old P3 box :P)

• @Centaur said: A lot of these more expensive tablets do have better CPUs but

And this shows just why people like you will keep coming up with random crap claiming ridiculous things such as "it will disrupt the western brands." Not only is your comment stupidly idealogical, but ridiculously naive.

I don't care if it has 20 cores, is the size of my thumbnail and stays powered on for 10 years on a single charge. If there's no content on it, then it's just another useless tablet. It may as well run BeOS.

Give credit where credit is due, but trying to make amateur idealogical red army based arguments and pretend this thing is going to "disrupt the western brands" is something that I would of expected Kim Jong Il to come up with as a manifesto prior to his death and mailed it off to Hu Jintao for amusing reading.

Regards,

Joel

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited January 2012

@Centaur said: Will really disrupt the western tablet brands.

But the Raspberry Pi is from the west itself?

• @Daniel said: But the Raspberry Pi is from the west itself?

This thread isn't about the RPi.

• Stars are free, KuJoe. Link me these costly materials. I bet you can find them lying around all over space.

• @KuJoe said: I know dozens of co-workers who have spent a lot of money on the $100-$200 tablets looking for a good deal and all of them have had 1 or more of the same things happen:

Makes me pretty happy to have gotten a touchpad on the firesale. I wasn't going to buy it...but I knew it would have android ported to it (I had a Palm Pre before), since it's relatively open, no locked bootloader, or locked eMMC.

Hard to justify $400 on a tablet I'll use for maybe an hour a month.

• @Daniel said: But the Raspberry Pi is from the west itself?

It will be produced in China.

@vedran said: It will be produced in China.

Isn't everything electronic produced in China these days?

• @KuJoe said: Isn't everything electronic produced in China these days?

Or Taiwan.

• @Kairus said: Or Taiwan.

Or Thailand, Malaysia... But the products producted in Thailand will get better quality :P

• @Joel, I don't really understand why you fire up like this. Most of these tablets will be running OSes like Android, so this point of yours seem moot.

@Joel said: If there's no content on it, then it's just another useless tablet.

Not to mention that a lot of these cheaper tablets are open to modifications.

Another thing, is that since most of the western brands already have a monopoly in the west, I don't understand why you are supporting these expensive brands that much. More competition is always welcome. Maybe not for you, since you want to buy a expensive western brand with a name tag that have been mostly bought by others who buy it because of brand loyalty. And contain some bloated software that is only useful to a few.

If it wasn't for the East's constant innovation the west would be extremely stagnated. So the statement that it will disrupt the western brands is just. Since this will hopefully force further price wars. Maybe not in America, but surely in other countries that will receive Allwinner powered tablets.

You forget that there are a lot of Eastern brands that have massive presence in the West, like Asus. With the Allwinner tablets on the rise in the East, these other big brands will start producing their own cheap competitor tablets. These competitor tablets will also be supplied to the west and will then compete to the western brands.

So before trying to post self-aggrandizing posts, try to see the bigger picture.

I personally would love an Allwinner tablet compared to a Kindle Fire, since most of these Allwinner tablets already support Android (maybe not the latest) but you can still put on Kindle app.

• @Joel said: And this shows just why people like you will keep coming up with random crap claiming ridiculous things such as "it will disrupt the western brands." Not only is your comment stupidly idealogical, but ridiculously naive.

I don't care if it has 20 cores, is the size of my thumbnail and stays powered on for 10 years on a single charge. If there's no content on it, then it's just another useless tablet. It may as well run BeOS.

Give credit where credit is due, but trying to make amateur idealogical red army based arguments and pretend this thing is going to "disrupt the western brands" is something that I would of expected Kim Jong Il to come up with as a manifesto prior to his death and mailed it off to Hu Jintao for amusing reading.

Regards,

Joel

Troll or dick. Not sure if both.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ekp99/Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

• @Centaur said: @Joel, I don't really understand why you fire up like this. Most of these tablets will be running OSes like Android, so this point of yours seem moot.

But that wasn't your gloating point of your post was it?

@Centaur said: Will really disrupt the western tablet brands.

Your whole point was East vs West, amateur idealogical red army based argument.

@Centaur said: I don't understand why you are supporting these expensive brands that much

So because I buy products that suit me this is "support" of those brands now? In this case, I must support Columbia Footwear, Teva Footwear etc, as I buy their products. What a stupid comment and argument you pur forward. People are buying what suits them, a minority will buy a product blindly to support that "brand."

@Centaur said: More competition is always welcome

Of course it is, and that's exactly why I have moved a lot of development to the Android platform as due to competition the price is significantly better on the hardware.

@Centaur said: Maybe not for you, since you want to buy a expensive western brand with a name tag that have been mostly bought by others who buy it because of brand loyalty.

So Samsung is a western brand? There goes your idealogical ridiculous baseless red army statements again. You're getting good at this, you should play "pin the tail on the donkey."

Every development tablet here was a Samsung until Motorola gave us a better deal.... there's that thing again.... competition. Just it works for me without having to make random idealogical statements.

@Centaur said: And contain some bloated software that is only useful to a few.

Ahh there's the child in you again, "bloated software only useful to a few." Yet here you are singing the great messaih of an unreleased product, whilst shitting on successful products already in the market place now calling them "bloated software" and "only useful to a few." Those "few" that these existing products are useful to, is still infinitely more useful than an unreleased, unrefined product that nobody is using (ala your product).

@Centaur said: If it wasn't for the East's constant innovation the west would be extremely stagnated.

Oh you're hilariously naive. So every bit of innovation in the world comes from the east?

How's child labour, exploitation of minors, selling of women to the sex trade etc going for you? Are they still an "innovation" you want to be proud of? Workers rights, human rights, how's all that innovation shaping up?

So the "east" invented the tablet eh? No, it got outsourced to you ;)
    I'm pretty sure most of the "east" is using a "western" OS on the devices.

But apparently according to you all innovation in the West has stagnated, so I expect you will be releasing a custom OS on this. And hopefully none of the R&D was done on any software created in the West, no design software, principles, mathematics etc.

@Centaur said: So the statement that it will disrupt the western brands is just.

Yes your vapourware is going to disrupt the western brands.... sure.... lets see 12 months on how you go about this.

@Centaur said: You forget that there are a lot of Eastern brands that have massive presence in the West, like Asus. With the Allwinner tablets on the rise in the East, these other big brands will start producing their own cheap competitor tablets. These competitor tablets will also be supplied to the west and will then compete to the western brands.

Bla bla bla east vs west again....

@Centaur said: So before trying to post self-aggrandizing posts, try to see the bigger picture.

I see the big picture, your an east vs west, red army ideologist that wears big shoes and a red nose. That was clear from your first post, you just reinforced it.

Instead of it being a "technology" discussion all you can focus on is East vs West. Yet you're a complete embarrassment. Thank god/allah/budha/red-dragon that each time I have gone overseas to source product I haven't been met with idealogical fools like yourself.

As stated, you're not interested in the technology, you're only interested in the East vs West ideology and completely fail to see neither would of been as successful as the other today without co-operation. Yet here you are, sprouting some piece of "technology" and trying to wrap a flag of ideology around it.

Seriously, post again so you can reinforce your stupidity.

@Naruto said: Troll or dick. Not sure if both.

Unfortunately for yourself you are the former and seriously lack the latter.

• @Joel said: Unfortunately for yourself you are the former and seriously lack the latter.

Maybe compared to you I do lack with dick but that's just because you're so abundantly full of it.

• @Naruto said: Maybe compared to you I do lack

You lack any sort of intelligence whatsoever... you cemented that with this comment:

@Naruto said: Maybe someday hosting will just be free.

So a hardware release all of a sudden is going to make hosting free, cover support, cover utility costs etc... absolute pipe dream. Hosting prices will plateau and increase with energy costs, not even considering artificial restraints that are currently affecting pricing. Yet here we have you, man of the earth, wisdom of bird crap, evangelising it will all be free.

• @Joel said: So a hardware release all of a sudden is going to make hosting free, cover support, cover utility costs etc... absolute pipe dream. Hosting prices will plateau and increase with energy costs, not even considering artificial restraints that are currently affecting pricing. Yet here we have you, man of the earth, wisdom of bird crap, evangelising it will all be free.

Happy Martin Luther King Day!!!

• @Naruto said: Happy Martin Luther King Day!!!

So now you are trying to establish a connection with MLK's "I have a dream" with your "I have a pipe dream."

Welldone to you sir.

Thanked by 2Naruto djvdorp
  • @Joel, all your posts are basically like a troll would post.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

So far you have said nothing constructive whatsoever. This thread was suppose to be about the Allwinner CPU and the uses of it. Then I said my point of view, and I'm sorry that it offended you so much.

But bashing everyone that just puts one foot out of place is not helping anyone.

I didn't say that the west doesn't innovate. I just stated

@Centaur said: If it wasn't for the East's constant innovation the west would be extremely stagnated.

But, like the other things you took completely out of proportion. I can see how it might look as if I said "only the East innovates".

• Joel is suspended on WHT so he's now twice as fun here.

• Sorry, I have been flat out for 2 days trying to knock this workload down before I go away this weekend (no not to solitary confinement). However I didn't forget about you @Centaur, you're to precious to me for that...

@Centaur said: @Joel, all your posts are basically like a troll would post.

And all your posts are that of an ideological fundamentalist. Trolls do less harm than terrorists ;)

@Centaur said: This thread was suppose to be about the Allwinner CPU and the uses of it.

And yet your opening contribution was a pile of crap that focused on "disrupt the western brands." Nice going there precious. So from your very first post you took it off-topic and made it a completely idealogical debate.

@Centaur said: Then I said my point of view, and I'm sorry that it offended you so much.

Offended? Hardly.
    Amused at your ignorance? Greatly.

@Centaur said: But bashing everyone that just puts one foot out of place is not helping anyone.

Oh so now you're "everyone." Every single individual poster on the Internet, wow, you're a little full of yourself don't you think? I know I called you precious, but seriously, get a grip.

@Centaur said: I didn't say that the west doesn't innovate. I just stated : If it wasn't for the East's constant innovation the west would be extremely stagnated.

And there is it again, the same crap you were sprucing earlier. Don't confuse outsourced labour with "innovation" precious. There are some very large, successful, innovative companies in the East, that's a given and acknowledged. However for the most part it's still just a big factory that can build things cheaply, with pockets of innovation. You do realise the "East" is far more than just the big factory (China) and the thinkers (Japan). The idea that the West would of stagnated without innovation from nations like Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mongolia, North Korea is comical at best.

@Centaur said: But, like the other things you took completely out of proportion.

The only thing out of proportion is that what's being housed inside that pumpkin of yours. That or half a hemisphere is turned off at present, maybe the western half?

@Naruto said: Joel is suspended on WHT so he's now twice as fun here.

You do realise that has just given me a month to gather all statistics on AlienVPS don't you? And more information, that piece of crap "vps" still can't run without something borking either the node or network. Just ask @nickmoek how he's going with his, there's a reason he's moved everything ;) May the haloed fairies in the sky help them there in Feb when I return from my trip.