Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MySQL Hosting Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MySQL Hosting Service

TheRealMakanTheRealMakan Member
edited April 2017 in Requests

Recently stumbled across https://www.online.net/en/ods and got intrigued by the idea that MySQL would be pre-configured with PHPMyAdmin. I currently run off a cheap OVZ VPS with 512MB of ram from HostUs. I beginning to expand my database in an upcoming update to my website and need something that can do much more join statements and selecting to the database. (Storage can be less than 10GB)

Anybody got some other recommendations of services like this? (Looking for something in North America is why I'm really asking.)

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

A lot of providers have SQL database hosting but they're generally addons, because you really don't want to do MySQL over any reasonable latency for any significant production app.

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:
    you really don't want to do MySQL for any significant production app.

fix'd

• @jarland said:
    A lot of providers have SQL database hosting but they're generally addons, because you really don't want to do MySQL over any reasonable latency for any significant production app.

Yeah, the only reason why I'm really asking because it's a real pain having to update MySQL and PHPMyAdmin. Also choosing the hardware is another issue with me. I'm only a programmer, so looking at a bunch of hardware or VPSes isn't really my thing onto what is the best to use. (I don't trust companies because they'd just recommend me to anything they want me to get.)

That's interesting, but I don't like the fact they run off HDD's and a 99.9% uptime. I don't think it really suites the app I want to host. Mine would be great to have SSD or NVMe and at least a 99.95% uptime. Otherwise I'd just use OVH's cloud hosting and host the software myself. :(

TheRealMakan said: Yeah, the only reason why I'm really asking because it's a real pain having to update MySQL and PHPMyAdmin. Also choosing the hardware is another issue with me. I'm only a programmer, so looking at a bunch of hardware or VPSes isn't really my thing onto what is the best to use. (I don't trust companies because they'd just recommend me to anything they want me to get.)

You know what you might like? Check this out, I've been using it as an easy platform for development off and on for about a year, and super impressed with it: https://www.webfaction.com

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:
    You know what you might like? Check this out, I've been using it as an easy platform for development off and on for about a year, and super impressed with it: https://www.webfaction.com

Their AUP is amusing:

* Obtaining or attempting to obtain service by any means or device with intent to avoid payment.
    * Not rotating log files and not deleting them after a reasonable amount of time.

Thanked by 1k0nsl

WSS said: Their AUP is amusing

Seems fair.

• @jarland said:

TheRealMakan said: Yeah, the only reason why I'm really asking because it's a real pain having to update MySQL and PHPMyAdmin. Also choosing the hardware is another issue with me. I'm only a programmer, so looking at a bunch of hardware or VPSes isn't really my thing onto what is the best to use. (I don't trust companies because they'd just recommend me to anything they want me to get.)

I just checked it out. Really from my point of view it just seems like MySQL with more features that I don't think I'd find that much useful.

I have a website that connects via socket to a Node.js server (Planning on hosting that on OVH Cloud Servers), runs many PHP scripts, and connects to a MySQL server to store the information. I need access to composer, root php.ini and config files, etc.

I was looking to get 1 VPS for the main webserver where PHP scripts are ran and a server where all the MySQL is handled by itself. (I pay for specific cores, ram, disk space and the rest of the hardware, updating of software, etc is run by the host themself.) The online.net offer is perfect for this, just they aren't in the US, so it'd cause a lot of latency just connecting from webserver to database since most of my users are from the US.

Honestly I don't really know what to do about this, sorry 'bout being so inexperienced.

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

WSS said: Their AUP is amusing

Seems fair.

Sure, but I've never seen someone that had a problem with having to tell people that trying to find a way to get service without paying is against the AUP. The "roll your damn logfiles" bit amuses me greatly, however- I wonder just how badly someone had to let something go for them to make that part of the terms.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited April 2017

#!/bin/bash

err502=`curl -1IsS --ciphers ecdhe_ecdsa_aes_128_sha https://domain.com | grep 502`

if [[ "$err502" == *"502"* ]]; then
    /sbin/service php-fpm restart
      date >> /site/tools/php-fpm-restart.log
    fi

This comes in so handy for Cloudflare sites

Run as a cron every minute.

Time to modify it to check if sql is running now

• RunAbove (OVH's beta test platform, more or less) has several of these:

https://www.runabove.com/index.xml

If you want something higher end, try compose.com.

Hosted db gets worthwhile when they're handling complexities like replication, automatic backups, etc. for you. Otherwise running your own is pretty simple.

You do want your primary db to be in the same data center as your application, if possible.

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • Alright thanks for the suggestions.

off-topic: https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/vps/vps-cloud.xml <- are those dedicated cores and is OVH a good host? I see a lot of mixed responses about crappy support, but nothing about the servers.

• As others have said, unless the MySQL database is somewhat local to you - i.e. same datacenter at the very most, outsourced MySQL is a bit terrible. I mean, if you look at Compose.com, they're relying on the likelihood that you're within an AWS/Softlayer datacenter. Latency is a killer and a ballache.

In regards to 'who else is doing this' (at a LE price range), I can recall BuyVM and Prometeus offering offloaded MySQL - Although, with these inclusive services, I imagine it's mainly to offset RAM usage on a VPS. If I'm wrong and these services are truly capable of coping with a whacking huge database with hundreds (or thousands) of connections, correct me.

Truthfully, as @willie has said, running your own is simple. Mysqltuner.pl is useful in basic tuning/optimisation, you may find it useful.

Of course, if it's primarily resilience you're after, then managed MySQL doesn't sound so bad. My concern is that you're asking for something you really don't need (yet) :)

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • williewillie Member
    edited April 2017

I don't think the Cloud VPS line has dedicated cores, though they're well-provisioned and I don't think you'll have trouble with normal usage.

Cores are iirc dedicated on the Public Cloud instances, which cost more. OVH is a huge hosting provider and their stuff generally works ok. Support isn't the greatest but with luck you won't need it, and I think they are trying to improve it.

If you want dedicated resources imho it's best to get a dedicated server.

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: Check this out, I've been using it as an easy platform for development off and on for about a year, and super impressed with it

I swear, you get lazier with every post. First it was JSI and hosted seedboxery and now you're down to shared hosting. To what slothy depths will you sink to next?

@raindog308 said:

jarland said: Check this out, I've been using it as an easy platform for development off and on for about a year, and super impressed with it

I swear, you get lazier with every post. First it was JSI and hosted seedboxery and now you're down to shared hosting. To what slothy depths will you sink to next?

Whatever it takes to get my 2-4 hours of sleep per night ;)

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

CPaaS (CPanel As a Service)

Thanked by 1jar
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

TheRealMakan said: That's interesting, but I don't like the fact they run off HDD's and a 99.9% uptime

LV is on SSD's, NY/NJ never had enough abusive users to demand further.

As for uptime, minus whatever reboots cPanel does to MySQL, it has perfect uptime :)

Honestly, get a slice, shove SQL on it (you can use something like a turnkey template to make it simple) and enjoy. Pretty sure the turnkey images auto update and such too.

Francisco

Thanked by 2AuroraZ lukesUbuntu
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

@jarland said:

Hint of a new product? ;)

• WSSWSS Member

@trewq said:

@jarland said:

MXQL

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

trewq said: @jarland said: A lot of providers have SQL database hosting but they're generally addons, because you really don't want to do MySQL over any reasonable latency for any significant production app.

$ whois sqlroute.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

No match for "SQLROUTE.COM".
    >>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 03:14:04 GMT 
  • rpollestadrpollestad Member
    edited April 2017

Others mentioned compose.com but, honestly, their MySQL offering was garbage. (Still considered beta as a of a few months ago, so I guess slack has to be cut somewhere.) The resources allotted for the price was silly for any large-ish database.

And I got tired of rolling my own solution, even on dedicated hardware.

I opted to go with Google (https://cloud.google.com/sql/) and never looked back. It does run ~$90-$100/mo but has full fail over replication and the whole nine. (You can cut your cost in half if you don't need a fail over instance.) I use it for a commercial application and the peace of mind is worth it.

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • Interesting, I didn't know Google had Mysql. I'm actually not sure why anyone would want Mysql except that it's a bit easier to configure than Postgres. Google has its own F1 product for truly enormous SQL databases, and Amazon has something like it called Redshift, which is Postgres-based.