Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVA vm image to kvm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVA vm image to kvm

So I am migrating my home lab into the 'cloud' and looking at a way to convert an .ova image into something KVM compatible. Googling comes up with a few results, but I'm interested in what the 'experts' here have used in the past and if anything is recommended

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

qemu-img doesn't work?

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited April 2017

You can rsync from server to server. I have done it between all sorts of servers. Physical to virtual, virtual to physical, virtual container to virtual KVM. Virtual KVM to virtual container.

Just do minimal install on the new server. The same version OS and update both to the same version updates.

Install rsync on both and then the magic one liner.

rsync --exclude /etc/fstab --exclude /dev --exclude /etc/udev --exclude /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts --exclude /etc/inittab --exclude /etc/init --exclude=/boot --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lib/modules --exclude=/sys -e "ssh -p22" --numeric-ids --dry-run -avpogtSlHz root@openvzsourceip:/ /

Note the single space between the two / / at the end.

Remove the --dry-run when ready to do it live. The --dry-run will sometimes fail because it cannot simulate some things. The live run won't have the same problem.

This is a pull backup/restore but you should also be able to do a push. Run it at least twice so it catches any changes that happen during the first copy.