Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ordering from abroad
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ordering from abroad

ElliotJElliotJ Member

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to purchase a VPS in my home country, the United Kingdom, for a month whilst I'm travelling abroad.
My problem is that I didn't order one before I left which means I'm now connecting from an Etisalat IP in the UAE which triggers MaxMind's fraud filter, as it should do.

Are there any providers that would be kind enough to take me on despite the apparent risk?
I'd be happy for them to block port 25, etc - I'll only be using it as a VPN.

Cheers!

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited June 2013

-

• rds100rds100 Member

@Patrick said:
    Can do this.

http://iniz.com/yearly-vps.html

Shoot me a PM if MaxMind hits you up

The guy wants a VPS for a month and you are pushing your yearly offers?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited June 2013

@rds100 said:
    The guy wants a VPS for a month and you are pushing your yearly offers?

Misread, edited.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Patrick thanks and sorry if i was too aggressive.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

If its for vpn etc drop me a pm I will give you one while you are away for free.

Ant.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Hello @ElliotJ welcome to the UAE! If you need someone to show you around the descent places in the country let me know :D

• @rsk said:
    Hello ElliotJ welcome to the UAE! If you need someone to show you around the descent places in the country let me know :D

Here comes our $7/month tour guide. :P

Here comes our $7/month tour guide. :P

@DalComp im not that cheap of a guy... haha

It is just interesting to see a fellow LET'er setting foot in our country. By local culture we like to show people around etc. :P

• DigitalOcean seems perfect for this :o

• @Liam said:
    Not in the UK though.

Ah, read over that

• @rsk said:
    Hello ElliotJ welcome to the UAE! If you need someone to show you around the descent places in the country let me know :D

haha thank you!

I've been around Abu Dhabi and visited Al Ain's Wadi Adventure and Oasis. Probably going to head up to Dubai/Sharjah this weekend.
    It's a beautiful country though, thoroughly enjoying my stay :)

I opened a support ticket with @Jack over at DotVPS, however it seems like PayPal is refusing my order because of my location. Crap.

@AnthonySmith, i'll just go drop you a message. Thank you very much for your offer.

Al Ain's

@ElliotJ did you go to the hot water streams in alain?

and the great mountain? :D

• Been to UAE several times as my Grandad is arabic. Stayed it his place in Sharjah, lovely country. Although, haven't been there for a few years so I suspect a lot has changed as it has become a lot more commertialised.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited June 2013

I've visited UAE back in 2003. It was a nice change from good old England.

• olsy@rsk Yup! Awesome seeing camels on the way too. You don't see them often in the UK :(

@Liam Abu Dhabi feels like a North American city, albeit a bit warmer and with sand. Huge 5 lane roads plowing through the city.
    In the malls you could be in any Western Mall.

There's a lot still under construction. I'm at the pool on the rooftop of my hotel and I'm staring at a crane :)
    It seems like most construction is happening out of the city though.

I flew into Abu Dhabi via Schiphol so I can't really comment on Dubai's airport, however Abu Dhabi international is incredibly grand.

The exchange rate is about 5.3 to the GBP, meals cost roughly £6/head so it's incredibly cheap. Anything branded is the same price as the UK minus 20% VAT :)

In Al Ain it's much more traditional in terms of dressing appropriately. Abu Dhabi is a bit more liberal, but if you're a girl you wouldn't feel comfortable going out in hot pants.

I've heard that Sharjah is the most conservative of the emirates, whilst Dubai is more like Las Vegas with it's tolerance towards western culture.
    Should be interesting!