Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you still buy IPv4 blocks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can you still buy IPv4 blocks?

AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

Ok I have been out of loop for a bit. I am wondering can IPv4 blocks be purchased still? If so what kind of pricing am I looking at? Also what is the IPv6 pricing looking like? I am curious about RIPE and ARIN here.

Comments

• Pricing of IPv4 seems to be at around $9 per IP at the moment

• TimeWillTell said: For the lifetime of the ip?

That is a purchase price, yes.

Generally varies between 3-15$ depending on subnet size (smaller more) and space source (185 is cheaper).

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2017

You can get ownership of a /24 block for ~2200-2500 USD in both RIPE/ARIN locations. It will be better than investing into stocks for sure.. The demand is high and the prices will go up. Though you'll need an ASN but that's horrible process if you are a private person and not a company.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

stefeman said: The demand is high and the prices will go up

Sure, and each RIPE meeting (See you all in Budapest) will tighten the transfer policies more, which might mean your non-legacy network is useless at one point.

stefeman said: Though you'll need an ASN but that's horrible process if you are a private person and not a company.

It is exactly the same process as company, the ONLY differenc eis that you send your ID and not company documents. RIPE does NOT care a single shit if private or company, this only matters on LIR signup and then only due to the VAT.

Private persons doing business/Sole traders especially in Poland/Austria and Spain/Portugal generally tend to have a VAT ID as well, but no company documents, and use their ID for that.

I never had RIPE declined ASNs for anything else than justification and UN/EU/NL sanctioned persons, companies and countries.

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@William, can private persons get a /22 at RIPE?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:
    @William, can private persons get a /22 at RIPE?

Private person can be a sole trader so why not ?

Clouvider said: Private person can be a sole trader so why not ?

Registered sole trader? I could use some RIPE resources but my company is HK based :)

• You do NOT need to be a company or (registered) sole trader to open a LIR. A LIR can be opened on private data perfectly fine.

randvegeta said: I could use some RIPE resources but my company is HK based :)

Only usable in RIPE then though.

• kira91kira91 Member
    edited April 2017

Only usable in RIPE then though.

RIPE ASN/PI address can only be used in EU?
    Or is this only with entities outside EU and have RIPE ASN/PI?

• VPSCheapVPSCheap Member, Host Rep

The only side of the market in which they appear to be averaging less than $9/IP is in entire hosting companies for sale. When bundled with the rest of the operations, they've been averaging $6/IP in the last few months.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

$9 per IP sure cuts into those $15/yr LEB profits.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

how do you think this will affect prices in the LEB market long term ? Historically these prices were so low as some were using this orders to get as large allocations as possible. It's not the case any more, so it makes me wonder how (when?) this will cause the prices to rise or will it push LEB providers more into the IPv6 only + v4 nat market?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Clouvider said:

@raindog308 said:

how do you think this will affect prices in the LEB market long term ? Historically these prices were so low as some were using this orders to get as large allocations as possible. It's not the case any more, so it makes me wonder how (when?) this will cause the prices to rise or will it push LEB providers more into the IPv6 only + v4 nat market?

I made a prediction a few years ago about this but it should've caused a lot of the market to fold in by now but that hasn't been the case.

We have seen less diverse locations though and a lot more providers pushing hard from CC owned locations. Given Magnus' suddenly departure from this forum it's always possible their super pushing backfired some.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

kira91 said: RIPE ASN/PI address can only be used in EU? Or is this only with entities outside EU and have RIPE ASN/PI?

Only inside, regardless of entity location (not like APNIC). Exemptions exist in a percentage system that is not coded and can change at any time.

VPSCheap said: The only side of the market in which they appear to be averaging less than $9/IP is in entire hosting companies for sale.

I can name you 3+ sellers right now that look to sell a /16 for 6$/IP. If you expect a /24 PI for 6$/IP you are stupid.

Clouvider said: how do you think this will affect prices in the LEB market long term ?

Not at all, it is a one time price, not recur.

@William said:

kira91 said: RIPE ASN/PI address can only be used in EU? Or is this only with entities outside EU and have RIPE ASN/PI?

Only inside, regardless of entity location (not like APNIC). Exemptions exist in a percentage system that is not coded and can change at any time.

VPSCheap said: The only side of the market in which they appear to be averaging less than $9/IP is in entire hosting companies for sale.

I can name you 3+ sellers right now that look to sell a /16 for 6$/IP. If you expect a /24 PI for 6$/IP you are stupid.

Clouvider said: how do you think this will affect prices in the LEB market long term ?

Dayum. Thats like $400k for a /16. I mean $6/IP seems totally worth it but not every one has 400k to plow into IPs.

• randvegeta said: Thats like $400k for a /16. I mean $6/IP seems totally worth it but not every one has 400k to plow into IPs.

Welcome to Low End Dreams. :)

Thanked by 2Clouvider WSS

$9 /IP also seems reasonable if that's the going rate for a /24. Is it?

• @randvegeta said:
    $9 /IP also seems reasonable if that's the going rate for a /24. Is it?

It sounds like it but I am also wondering about V6 and the announcement costs.

AuroraZ said: It sounds like it but I am also wondering about V6 and the announcement costs.

What do you mean? v6 is practically free.

• randvegeta said: What do you mean? v6 is practically free.

Yeah it is up to a point. Everything costs something man. I do not know of anyone doing announcements for free atm. Without that the IPs mean nothing.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

randvegeta said: $9 /IP also seems reasonable if that's the going rate for a /24. Is it?

It is not. RIPE PI /24 sell for 10-15EUR, smaller = more expensive, and PI carries a premium, same as smaller legacy space.

AuroraZ said: Yeah it is up to a point

RIPE automatically gives you a /29 per LIR, which you realistically never use up. I have like 20 of them by now, even assigning tons of /40 i'm not even filling up single one yet....

AuroraZ said: I do not know of anyone doing announcements for free atm

Half of my list also do announce, mostly free.

https://ip6.im/recommended-isp.html

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @William said:

randvegeta said: $9 /IP also seems reasonable if that's the going rate for a /24. Is it?

It is not. RIPE PI /24 sell for 10-15EUR, smaller = more expensive, and PI carries a premium, same as smaller legacy space.

AuroraZ said: Yeah it is up to a point

RIPE automatically gives you a /29 per LIR, which you realistically never use up. I have like 20 of them by now, even assigning tons of /40 i'm not even filling up single one yet....

AuroraZ said: I do not know of anyone doing announcements for free atm

Half of my list also do announce, mostly free.

https://ip6.im/recommended-isp.html

Sweet thank you William.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Francisco said: Given Magnus' suddenly departure from this forum it's always possible their super pushing backfired some.

Are you saying that they pushed back due to lack of available IP resource? :O

AuroraZ said: Yeah it is up to a point. Everything costs something man. I do not know of anyone doing announcements for free atm. Without that the IPs mean nothing.

It costs because there is manpower involved. If you want me to bottle some air for you, I would charge you for the bottle and the 'labour' invovled in 'collecting' the air and closing the lid and handing it to you. The air itself is essentially free!

So the cost is not really related to the amount of IPs you have/advertise.

I would charge exactly the same amount to advertise a /48 as I would a /32.

When I lease out IPs, I essentially charge only for the work involved in routing those IPs, and not for the number. So if you need a /64 or /48, I generally won't charge more for that /48.

• Will IP4 die out as IP6 gains traction? Just curious whether I should be thinking about snagging a /24 block...

• WSSWSS Member

@squibs said:
    Will IP4 die out as IP6 gains traction?

According to 2003, yes.

@time4vps said:

Francisco said: Given Magnus' suddenly departure from this forum it's always possible their super pushing backfired some.

Are you saying that they pushed back due to lack of available IP resource? :O

No, in the case of CC they """""secured""""" enough IP space to handle whatever growth they have planned for the company until they cash it in.

It's quite possible that CC had a bunch of gear sitting about (large customer didn't pay or left, etc) so they gave some extremely deep discounts to make everyone happy. At some point though they'll run out of that gear and have to return things back to actual market value. I don't think any bank/investor/etc short of the French govt is going to be OK with 5 year repayment on equipment.

Vortex was doing things like $2/year or $5/year VPS though, and some 4GB VM's for like $15/year or something like that. I have no doubt they blew the doors off their WHMCS box and had borderline DDOS levels of connection traffic from people buying. The problem is that they have to load a lot of customers on a single box just to cover the rental cost.

They were doing those plans as well as a $1/year shared hosting so you can only imagine the amount of support load they now have to deal with.

I'm assuming the plan was to either ace the polls for that period or to just grow the brand enough to slowly start floating prices up.

Francisco

Thanked by 2JahAGR time4vps
  • I remember some drama thread about some Vortex tickets being mishandled, followed by the owner of Vortex's parent company posting on LET saying Vortex staff had screwed up, with overtones of "Hulk smash". Maybe there was some reorganization at that point.

• What does INSIDE mean? the announce server have to located in EU or the AS holder entity must registered in EU?
    I'm not in EU but looking for get an AS number and IPv6 from RIPE
    Thanks William.

@William said:

@willie said:
    I remember some drama thread about some Vortex tickets being mishandled, followed by the owner of Vortex's parent company posting on LET saying Vortex staff had screwed up, with overtones of "Hulk smash". Maybe there was some reorganization at that point.

No comment on that, Magnus was always very friendly and supportive on here though. What I'm sure anyone can see though, is that they made a mountain of support work for themselves. I can speak from experience that shared hosting accounts for like 80% of our daily tickets.

Francisco