Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IO Usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IO Usage

I posted this earlier, on The Cest Pist, but it deserve it's own thread, as @jarland told me.

I got a VPS recently, I'll not name it, but it's very good for the price, good space, RAM and unlimited bandwidth and so.

But after sometime of medium load (like downloading at 10MB/s for 30min or so), I got heavily capped on IO and that's make it pretty unusable, even SSH take eras to connect.

So, I came here to ask user and providers, what's a reasonable IO usage?

IO Usage
  1. What's a reasonable IO usage?19 votes
    1. Constant 1MB/s
        5.26%
    2. Constant 5MB/s
        0.00%
    3. Constant 10MB/s
      21.05%
    4. Constant 20MB/s
      26.32%
    5. Other (please comment)
      47.37%

Comments

• I voted for Other.

Thanked by 1DigitalJosee
  • @JasperNL said:
    I voted for Other.

At least, you comment'ed.
    Someone else also voted Other, but didn't commented.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Guess it depends on what the product is. Its not the io thats being capped, but the bandwidth. 10MB is 100Mbits so is that what you were offered? Capped connection with an "unlimited" vps is common.

Thanked by 1DigitalJosee
  • WSSWSS Member

Just get your own damn machine, already. Obviously you're doing more than simply 10MB/s write for the host to notice you. If it's torrent, onion, or otherwise, you're using a lot more resources than 10MB of writes.

Thanked by 1DigitalJosee
  • @pbgben said:
    Guess it depends on what the product is. Its not the io thats being capped, but the bandwidth. 10MB is 100Mbits so is that what you were offered? Capped connection with an "unlimited" vps is common.

I guess that the problem is wth IO, not connection.

The "guaranteed" is 250Mbits, and I got that almost all time, except when I got IO capped. Also, my Iowait is much higher than it should be, around 15% while I'm capped, and that kick my Load to around 2.xx, while I'm not capped, Load is not higher than 0.5.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@DigitalJosee said:

@pbgben said:

The "guaranteed" is 250Mbits, and I got that almost all time, except when I got IO capped. Also, my Iowait is much higher than it should be, around 15% while I'm capped, and that kick my Load to around 2.xx, while I'm not capped, Load is not higher than 0.5.

The iowait proves me wrong then, not sure why that would be necessary. Must be a non ssd host with a low number of HDDs in the raid. Looking at about 100MBs for their drives, so that is only 10 users.

Thanked by 1DigitalJosee
  • @WSS said:
    Just get your own damn machine, already. Obviously you're doing more than simply 10MB/s write for the host to notice you. If it's torrent, onion, or otherwise, you're using a lot more resources than 10MB of writes.

To be honest, I'm downloading movies and uploading they to my G. Drive account.
    But I'm using private trackers + upload set to 0, and, checking Glances Web UI, I use no more than that, around 8MB/s.

Is Scaleway 2.99eur ARM really dedicated? I might get one, when they say me why my CC is not accepted.

@pbgben said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@pbgben said:

The iowait proves me wrong then, not sure why that would be necessary. Must be a non ssd host with a low number of HDDs in the raid. Looking at about 100MBs for their drives, so that is only 10 users.

I also find that very strange, it's HDD, indeed, but 10MB/s is not that much.

• WSSWSS Member

@DigitalJosee said:
    But I'm using private trackers + upload set to 0, and, checking Glances Web UI, I use no more than that, around 8MB/s.

Torrents use quite a few ports (if allowed), and the way that they read/write to the files are often disturbing to other users on a HD based site. Unless you tell it to create the full filesize immediately, it has combo read/create/rewrite/erase calls which, to be blunt- are fairly detrimental to the system's operation. If you are pushing a full 10MB/s, assume that you are doing about 4x of that on that HD's resources (to make it as simple as possible).

Many hosts specifically disallow torrents because the entire system isn't only catered towards illegal things- but they're nasty on the system unless you are just seeding (and have plenty of RAM to cache).

Again, my suggestion is to get your own system if you want to continue to run torrents- You can get a KS-1 from Kimsufi for #8/mo.

• DigitalJoseeDigitalJosee Member
    edited April 2017

@WSS said:

@DigitalJosee said:

Torrents use quite a few ports (if allowed), and the way that they read/write to the files are often disturbing to other users on a HD based site. Unless you tell it to create the full filesize immediately, it has combo read/create/rewrite/erase calls which, to be blunt- are fairly detrimental to the system's operation. If you are pushing a full 10MB/s, assume that you are doing about 4x of that on that HD's resources (to make it as simple as possible).

Many hosts specifically disallow torrents because the entire system isn't only catered towards illegal things- but they're nasty on the system unless you are just seeding (and have plenty of RAM to cache).

Again, my suggestion is to get your own system if you want to continue to run torrents- You can get a KS-1 from Kimsufi for #8/mo.

I'll probably get one, since I cant run my mail server on that box, thanks for Kimsufi information.

Also, I'm not 100% into tech, but Glances tell me that my IO use is no higher than 2MB/s, check that (I'm downloading at slow speed, around 600KB/s):

This's 100% different when rclone upload to G. Drive, since it use all speed (around 15-20MB/s), the IORead is pretty high, but it just take a little minutes to upload, no more than 10 min.

• WSSWSS Member

120k read/380k write, according to that, but I trust Python parsed data (even if using psutil) as much as I trust PHP to be accurate. If that's accurate, it's not all that bad, actually. It'd still make sense to move your personal items onto a personal service, rather than a virtual personal service.

• DigitalJoseeDigitalJosee Member
    edited April 2017

Thanks @WSS, I'll move to another server anyway, as I need my mail and that provider doesn't allow outgoing port 25.

And, as I said, rclone is much more resource demanding, as you can see here (Uploading to GDrive at 8MB/s):

• WSSWSS Member

IO/Reads will slow down others on the host, but even at 2MB/s, shouldn't really create enough chaos to make you noticed. However, using a ton of ports via torrent, sporatic write with plenty of reads for the different daemons- yeah, you're probably using more resources than any other single user on the VPS.