Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A quantitive analysis of CC offers on LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A quantitive analysis of CC offers on LEB

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited June 2013 in Providers

Hello,
I just took the time to go through some pages of LEB offers (from 1st of May until now) and compile the data on locations into a Google spreadsheet.

You can find the spreadsheet here. The offer data is on the 2nd page.

If you want you can help completing the spreadsheet. I need formulars to answer the questions on the first page as well as more (older) data on LEB offers. Just ask me via PM or mail for write access.

You are also welcome to post more questions that can be answered with the data basis.

Further analysis might include rating the hosts' attitude towards CC on LET and cross-referencing it to their amount of CC offers.

Comments

• if you have nothing better things to do, I can suggest many things you can do.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

Further analysis might also include LET mod Maarten Kossen censoring and burying 5 posts that were critical of ColoCrossing hosted Green Value Host in a review yesterday and locking the thread while at the same time LET mods and admins refuse to do anything when posts that are actually libelous are posted about non-CC related companies or individuals.

• DomainBop: Good call. I posted in that thread yesterday - it became quite obvious that mpkossen has a special interest/reason for defending GVH so desperately :/

• @DomainBop do you have a link?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@DomainBop said:
    ...and locking the thread while at the same time LET mods and admins refuse to do anything when posts that are actually libelous are posted about non-CC related companies or individuals.

@DomainBop to be honest I was also thinking to close Green Value Host thread after walking in circles with some insults included thread starter said "goodbye" and other party also agreed that there's nothing to add. And no, before you posted in this thread I didn't have clue where is Green Value Host hosted. I am not sure why I didn't do it, but most likely just because it don't make any big difference.

@snelweg: Get a life, the only ones who might be offended are the gvh people and they have proven to have very thin skin. Goodbye.

@GreenValueHost: In my opinion this thread has already reached it's end of life and there's nothing more to discuss here.

@gsrdgrdghd I was also curious about this. With covering more and more US locations I expected a lot of CC but still not that much. What I miss at LEB are mostly european VPS providers. And I don't mean with that hosts who cover UK location among other US locations but "real" european hosts.
    It would be also interesting to see ratio of recurring names vs newcomers (hosts).

• What I miss at LEB are mostly european VPS providers.

+1

I have a feeling that when LEA was running things there was a lot more diversity in the offers.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    I have a feeling that when LEA was running things there was a lot more diversity in the offers.

True. I think that this had to do something also with LEB orientation as such. He was searching for budget hosts to introduce them. He posted what he found. Atleast in first years.
    Now they send offers by themself. It's not about finding hosts anymore but to feature host who send special offer. That's also the reason why we see so many recurring names.

• He was searching for budget hosts to introduce them. He posted what he found. At least in first years. Now they send offers by themself. It's not about finding hosts anymore but to feature host who send special offer. That's also the reason why we see so many recurring names.

That's also one of the reasons we don't see more European hosts featured and why some very stable European hosts with LEB plans are virtually unknown in LEBland (hosts like Reg.com/Russia/Xen and Tilaa/PCExtreme/both Netherlands and KVM-based are three examples)

And a lot more awesome criticism, constructive even.

There were a few hosts LEA featured mainly to warn people against using them. :)

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited June 2013

@DomainBop said:
    Further analysis might also include LET mod Maarten Kossen censoring and burying 5 posts that were critical of ColoCrossing hosted Green Value Host in a review yesterday and locking the thread while at the same time LET mods and admins refuse to do anything when posts that are actually libelous are posted about non-CC related companies or individuals.

Those were not bad against CC, but I was unaware that me marking them as trolls would bury them (apparently mods give five points at once, after which a post gets buried). I'll get them right up for you and just disagree with them.

If you could send me a list of the other posts I'll have a look at them.

@SegmentationFault said:
    DomainBop: Good call. I posted in that thread yesterday - it became quite obvious that mpkossen has a special interest/reason for defending GVH so desperately :/

Not so much defending GVH as disagreeing with the very rude way snelweg handled all of that. What really disturbed me was the way he marched in there being a drama queen and very rude, while GVH was being honest and open to help him. This was only confirmed by his unwillingness to post any proof that he wasn't rude. That's the reason I marked his posts as troll/abuse. But like I said, I'll unmark them so they're not buried anymore.

EDIT: I removed my troll/abuse flags from your posts and they should be visible. If they're not, shoot me a PM or tag me here and I'll ask Liam to look at making them visible again.

EDIT2: there's not even a mention of CC in those posts, so @DomainBop is just trolling.

@Spirit said:
    True. I think that this had to do something also with LEB orientation as such. He was searching for budget hosts to introduce them. He posted what he found. Atleast in first years. Now they send offers by themself. It's not about finding hosts anymore but to feature host who send special offer. That's also the reason why we see so many recurring names.

I believe that some offers, just a very small amount of them, are still "obtained" this way.

edited June 2013

there's not even a mention of CC in those posts, so @DomainBop is just trolling.

GVH has been a very vocal cheerleader of CC on other forums (the same forums where, as w1vLee and HCRO mentioned, there have been a string of complaints about GVH), and the datacenter page on their site praises the virtues of CC Buffalo so DomainBop is definitely not trolling :)

• Us being 'vocal cheerleaders' as you say of ColoCrossing has nothing to do with the closure of our recent review thread. We're passionate about our servers being located in CC and we truly believe that CC is a great datacenter. There's nothing wrong with that.

• MunMun Member
    edited June 2013

Just another lets prove LET sucks post. Sigh. Staff I think you are going to need to make a category for this type of crap. VPSBoard is so calm though. :3

• laaevlaaev Member

@gsrdgrdghd said:

I think the decline of European offers is because of the DDoS and IP price change that has happened lately. Additionally its due to RIPE running very dry on IP space compared to ARIN, therefore upstream providers in Europe have to raise IP pricing for its customers, resulting to less LEB offers in that area. I would say it has nothing to do with the poster.

@Mun said:
    VPSBoard is so calm though. :3

That's because... It's dying, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize this.

@gsrdgrdghd thanks for tallying up the posts. As everyone suggested before, all posts were CC offers, but as your research finds, its actually less than non-cc offers.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2013

I agree with Liam that it's more about where the offers come from, CC simply seem to have the monopoly on providing servers within a range for LET/LEB providers. That has not "just happened" it has developed over time.

If that is due to aggressive pricing then they win, simple as. No different to Hetzner/OVH holding that position in the EU prior to the RIPE issues and cutback's on available IP space.

Look at the UK providers, pretty much most of them are in Rapidswitch, Maidenhead. Again, aggressive pricing.

Step up your price range and you won't see CC featured so much. You don't even need to look at LEB, everyone is free to place an ad on LET in the offers section and the story is really no different there either in terms of where the equipment is located.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    Us being 'vocal cheerleaders' as you say of ColoCrossing has nothing to do with the closure of our recent review thread. We're passionate about our servers being located in CC and we truly believe that CC is a great datacenter. There's nothing wrong with that.

I might not agree with your assessment of CC Buffalo being a "great datacenter" (because I think their network mix leaves a lot to be desired and well...it's Buffalo and Buffalo is a hellhole) but I do think it's a positive that you're honest and say "we're using company x's datacenter" instead of being like many hosts who claim to own a datacenter and don't (and then there are special needs cases like the host who recently claimed that their tech support is handled by a stock photo :) )

Mun said "VPSBoard is so calm though"

It only took about 2 posts for the CVPS new location announcement to turn into a multi-page Chris vs pubcrawler slugfest with accusations and Facebook photos flying...again :P

Kevin said "I think the decline of European offers is because of the DDoS and IP price change that has happened lately."

IP prices are part of the reason there are so few European offers but I think the language barrier plays an equally big part. If you look at the NL offerings (in all price ranges) on both LET and WHT the majority of them are by non-Dutch companies. If you go to ISPgids or Webhosters.nl there are literally hundreds of Dutch companies providing hosting services in NL, and many offerings within LEB pricing range but they target Dutch speaking customers only.

• LeeLee Veteran

@DomainBop said:
    It only took about 2 posts for the CVPS new location announcement to turn into a multi-page Chris vs pubcrawler slugfest with accusations and Facebook photos flying...again :P

You can take the people out of LET, but you can't take the LET out the people! :)

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited June 2013

@DomainBop said:
    GVH has been a very vocal cheerleader of CC on other forums ... so DomainBop is definitely not trolling :)

@DomainBop said:
    ... LET mod Maarten Kossen censoring and burying 5 posts that were critical of ColoCrossing

On which forums did I bury which posts, then? Because the posts I accidentally buried here sure as hell didn't contain any CC-related stuff. Not even a mention of the place. And the single other forum on the internet I currently have moderator/admin access to is CNN-related, so I doubt anybody even knows about CC there.

I'll be the first to admin I'm wrong. I did unbury the posts like promised because I never meant to hide them. Now it's your turn to admit you made a false accusation against me, I think? If only to prove you were not trolling.

edited June 2013

@mpkossen said:

@DomainBop said: ... LET mod Maarten Kossen censoring and burying 5 posts that were critical of ColoCrossing.....

... I'll be the first to admin I'm wrong. I did unbury the posts like promised because I never meant to hide them. Now it's your turn to admit you made a false accusation against me, I think? If only to prove you were not trolling.

I didn't say that you buried posts that were critical of ColoCrossing. My full quote was "censoring and burying 5 posts that were critical of ColoCrossing hosted Green Value Host" i.e. the buried posts were critical of GVH (who is hosted at CC and a CC cheerleader)

Since you were unaware of both the CC connection and Vanilla's 5-point mod burying function you have my apology.

• As everyone suggested before, all posts were CC offers, but as your research finds, its actually less than non-cc offers.

Indeed, but one thing that needs to be kept in mind is the size of the hosts. I think that a big part of the CC hosts are rather small companies with few customers.

I think the decline of European offers is because of the DDoS and IP price change that has happened lately.

Ripe is certainly a big factor. Another issue is that there isn't much diversity, most offers are either with OVH, Hetzner or Equinex Düsseldorf.

@Liam: I know you don't have much time currently, but you should send some people out to scout for offers like LEA did instead of waiting for people to mail them to you.

• MunMun Member

@CVPS_Kevin said:
    That's because... It's dying, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize this.

Not really. Its doing great and growing quickly. Though knowing that you kevin used to work at Urpad, you probably aren't happy with there success and thus blowing smoke out your ass as usual.

On the bright side we know you did bad bad things on WHT. :P

Mun

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited June 2013

@Mun said:
    Not really. Its doing great and growing quickly. Though knowing that you kevin used to work at Urpad, you probably aren't happy with there success and thus blowing smoke out your ass as usual.

The daily activity is not growing, its always the same less than 20 members who frequent the site. Like it or not, it's the truth. Curtis also doesn't have anything to do with URPad anymore, so I fail to see how that has any effect on my preference.

• earlearl Member

@Liam said:
    That's a good idea. If anyone who reads this is interested in helping, I would be happy to give a few bounties (money/vpss) out to people who help.

With the hostility on LEB/LET I would feel sorry for the chap that takes on that position.. unless their name was to remain anonymous..

• MunMun Member

@CVPS_Kevin said:
    The daily activity is not growing, its always the same less than 20 members who frequent the site. Like it or not, it's the truth. Curtis also doesn't have anything to do with URPad anymore, so I fail to see how that has any effect on my preference.

This describes LET as well.

• Buffalo soldier... fighting for survival

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Bob Marley, in case you don't recognize it.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@CVPS_Kevin said:

Which one is dying?

• laaevlaaev Member

@Mun said:
    This describes LET as well.

Not really, and I was being nice to even say 20. It's maybe the same 10 members or so who frequent VPSB, while LET on average (from what I observed) has 40-60 members constantly online at a time.

@wk2egk7zme said:
    Which one is dying?

Curtis, I suggest learning more about how Alexa and SEO works. When LET switched to VanillaForums hosted solution, I noticed that the forum is no longer on www. Other factors such as moving hosting platforms, site offline for a few days, etc also negatively affected its ranking temporarily.

As Liam said I'm not going to talk about the other forum anymore, things have gone too far over one comment. To each of his own.

• MunMun Member

@CVPS_Kevin said:
    As Liam said I'm not going to talk about the other forum anymore, things have gone too far over one comment. To each of his own.

You are quite ill informed. Generally speaking there is ~30 members online with 50 guests. With its high and lows all around. Much like Lowendtalk. However, I can attest that I have seen less activity here, and I don't post as much here either.

• Not much of a difference.

http://gyazo.com/0c524cb76fd12923b9507f4513b899cb

http://gyazo.com/b6e8580773617c9705a5f53d80595897

But why are we pulling off my epen vs your epen debate?

• @DomainBop said:
    I didn't say that you buried posts that were critical of ColoCrossing. My full quote was "censoring and burying 5 posts that were critical of ColoCrossing hosted Green Value Host" i.e. the buried posts were critical of GVH (who is hosted at CC and a CC cheerleader)

And you have my apology here, because I completely misread that sentence. I missed the dash between ColoCrossing and hosted, so I just assumed they weren't related :-)

@wk2egk7zme said:
    Which one is dying?

Curtis, is that you?

• MunMun Member
    edited June 2013

Snipped, because I had to go to alexa to look at the definition of said graph.