Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any idea when LET will recognize line breaks/carriage returns?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any idea when LET will recognize line breaks/carriage returns?

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited April 2017 in General

I know it's been broken for a long time, but any ETA on when the forms on here will recognize line breaks/carriage returns? I know this used to work a year or two ago but something broke it along the way. I hate to be that guy but in 2017 having to use HTML tags in a forum is kinda silly. :)

Thanked by 1Dormeo

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

you need to end the line with two or more spaces before the linebreak...

like so:
    new line

Thanked by 2KuJoe ehab
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

It will never be fixed.

They wont give Jarland any access to the guts of the place, Magoo admin literally could not care less if he tried and Jon really does not give a shit either if you have to press space twice or use html tags because it does not impact his bottom line.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I'd be happy to manage the backend of this place and fix bugs given the chance. I'd just need a copy of the current codebase as it's obvious it's been modified to vanilla Vanilla.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:
    you need to end the line with two or more spaces before the linebreak...

like so:
    new line

I never knew this, I've just been typing < br / > at the end of each line like a old person.

Thanked by 2Falzo mikho
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@KuJoe said:

I never knew this,

me neither until I somewhat incidentally stumbled across some other markdown where this also was mentioned. so really can fell your pain ^^

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Well, technically speaking this isn't broken - Markdown ignores single linebreaks by design (and for very good reason - you almost always want a paragraph instead). I'd say that if anything, single linebreaks working would be a bug.

(The "double space at the end" is the 'correct' way to force a linebreak in Markdown, although I question the use of invisible characters for this... alas, that's how it is.)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

@joepie91 said:
    Well, technically speaking this isn't broken - Markdown ignores single linebreaks by design (and for very good reason - you almost always want a paragraph instead). I'd say that if anything, single linebreaks working would be a bug.

(The "double space at the end" is the 'correct' way to force a linebreak in Markdown, although I question the use of invisible characters for this... alas, that's how it is.)

I dislike change. :(

• YuraYura Member

Fuck Markdown. Seriously, fuck it.

@trewq said:
    I'd be happy to manage the backend of this place and fix bugs given the chance. I'd just need a copy of the current codebase as it's obvious it's been modified to vanilla Vanilla.

I prepared a small issue list to kickstart your efforts :) Would be great if they allowed you to Make LET Great Again! #trewqforpresident

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:
    Fuck Markdown. Seriously, fuck it.

It's a ripoff of a much better engine. You can't say anything about that, though, since one of the authors decided to be an hero, and you'll get shit for it.

• quickquick Member

what about another domain with the same crew and a better software?

• YuraYura Member

@WSS said: wss

I'm so annoyed by all the masturbation​ around preprocessing, wrapping, conversion, postprocessing, whatever all things web AND .docx/.pdf fuckery on top of that... It's so damn nice to write plain text in your editor and then maybe, just maybe put some html markup around it. But what do I know, I'm not kewl at all.

• YuraYura Member

@quick said:

LowEndFork

• quickquick Member

@Yura said:

@quick said:

LowEndFork

vpsandchill

• WSSWSS Member

@quick said:
    vpsandchill

FreeHostingAndGuidelinesArentNecessaryBecauseYouArentUsingShittyMarketingToCrappAllOverAProviderWhoCutYouAfterLosingATonOfMoney.party

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Let's find a "enter means submit" plugin so we can be like Facebook Messenger and LinkedIn.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2017

(edit: ^^^^^^^^^^ this was supposed to have been pepperidge farm, but we'll keep Andre because he's helpful here too)

'member when LET v1 and LET v2 both worked like a "normal" forum and we didn't have to add arbitrary spaces or HTML to get it to look good? I 'member.

It's also helpful to weed out the "offers" from people who obviously don't care, by seeing them leave their "offer" as an enormous block of text with no further update or response from them.

• WSSWSS Member

@Damian said:
    It's also helpful to weed out the "offers" from people who obviously don't care, by seeing them leave their "offer" as an enormous block of text with no further update or response from them.

So, you want to get rid of LEB entirely?

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Took me a while to get used to markdown but I did end up liking it.

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@jarland said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

You always succeed to turn any discussion into a discussion about trucks.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited April 2017

@mikho said:
    You always succeed to turn any discussion into a discussion about trucks.

I prefer cars, but I do miss my Chevy every time I want to haul something large, or something I don't want to put in my car.. I don't miss the Fords, though- I hated working on the Triton, and the V6 was a huge turd.

• WSS said: I prefer cars, but I do miss my Chevy every time I want to haul something large, or something I don't want to put in my car.. I don't miss the Fords, though- I hated working on the Triton, and the V6 was a huge turd.

That is because you fell for hype. Get an older Ford like mine you will never drive anything else. 4.9 liter and 5.0 all the way and old school.

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:
    That is because you fell for hype. Get an older Ford like mine you will never drive anything else. 4.9 liter and 5.0 all the way and old school.

I don't believe I'd put it that way. My crappy Chevy never left me stranded, could climb uphill, and didn't need a deep socket and prayer to remove a spark plug (praying it didn't break inside). The Triton really made me hate on contemporary Fords. The 4.0 wasn't difficult to work on- it was just a gutless turd. The Expedition was a decent SUVan.

My favorite Ford was actually a Mazda. :)