Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get cheap windows vps license?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to get cheap windows vps license?

We want sell windows vps, but can't afford SPLA

I found many vps providers sell windows vps less than $9/mo, I know they can buy a windows DC license from datacenter to create windows VPSes

My question is :

Can I use windows DC license to a Linux node to create windows vps via KVM/HVM?

Or is there another way to get cheap windows vps license ?

Thanks

Comments

• Yeah that's what you do. The DC license is still under SPLA

• Today, a DC replied to me that windows std license for vps host on their server is $20/mo, crazy! I can afford $5/windows vps license , is there any possible?

• Don't use standard edition - get the SPLA DC edition from the DC or from SPLA reseller instead, it should be approx. $100 per month per processor, and that allows you to spin up unlimited number of Windows based VPS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@eLohkCalb said:
    Don't use standard edition - get the SPLA DC edition from the DC or from SPLA reseller instead, it should be approx. $100 per month per processor, and that allows you to spin up unlimited number of Windows based VPS.

Per CPU socket, that is correct, we used an e5 machine for this but it was sold too quickly. Had win2008 rc2 for 7 $ and could do wonders, including running linux in vmware/virtualbox :P

• @Maounique said:
    Per CPU socket, that is correct, we used an e5 machine for this but it was sold too quickly. Had win2008 rc2 for 7 $ and could do wonders, including running linux in vmware/virtualbox :P

Do you use linux server with xen-hvm/kvm for windows vps with DC license? or use windows server with hype-v for windows vps?

@ComfortVPS said:

We use KVM, but personally did it with good results in XCP (Xen) too.
    Hyper-V I didnt test, tho I heard it is free too and supports linux even.

• Hi Maounique, How to use/apply/active a windows datacenter license to a linux server ? Or just buy it from datacenter then leave it along?

• KVM is the way to go based on my experience. Hyper-V tends to take too long to install 2008 R2. KVM seem to have better optimization then Xen and it distributes resources more equally among VPS servers.

• @ComfortVPS said:
    Hi Maounique, How to use/apply/active a windows datacenter license to a linux server ? Or just buy it from datacenter then leave it along?

Buy it from the data center or apply for SPLA yourself.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@ComfortVPS

Don't use KVM, Windows VPS run smoothly on XenHVM without any issue however If you want to get a trouble then use KVM(Windows run slow on KVM)

It works well on Xen HVM and Xen has interesting perspectives regarding full virtualization with paravirtualized drivers, leaving Xen vs KVM debate, you can get a SPLA license that allows you to run indefinite numbers of Windows servers on a licensed machine. The licenses are sold per cpu socket, so, make sure you have a strong machine with many cores on few sockets to get the best bang for the buck.
    Licensed clients for datacenters are not possible, only servers (as a note, not addressed in particular to anyone).