Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Android Emulator on headless server. Is it possible?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Android Emulator on headless server. Is it possible?

JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

I have spent many hours since yesterday to run Android Emulator on my Online.net server via VNC.
I have tried genymotion with and without virtualgl with no luck. Setup windows inside virtualbox and install bluestack, still with no luck. Today I installed android studio, also with no luck running the emulator.

What can I say is that they complaints about graphic except android studio that have only a timeout error.

So, before I waste more hours on this, can anyone tell me if it is possible to run any Android Emulator on dedicated server via VNC?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

It's more than possible. You're probably confused in that it generally runs as it's own VNC instance, rather than under X11. You can make it attach to an existing VNC service, though. Here's a simple example for a VNC service running on X11 compatible display 1; obviously fill in the data which suits you:

%my-preferred-vncserver :2 -geometry 600x800 -depth 16
    %DISPLAY=2; export DISPLAY
    %my-emulator -avd avd_name -qemu

Thanked by 2netomx JohnRoe
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

You can run Android-x86 in KVM.

Thanked by 1JohnRoe
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

x11vnc

Thanked by 1JohnRoe
  • VitaVita Member

@rm_ said:

I had a bad multiple experiences with android x86, could not run anything above KitKat 4.4. All newer versions just bootloop.

• WSSWSS Member

@Vita said:

@rm_ said:

I had a bad multiple experiences with android x86, could not run anything above KitKat 4.4. All newer versions just bootloop.

Did you update your radio and modem firmware? :D

Thanked by 1Vita
  • JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited April 2017

@WSS said:
    It's more than possible. You're probably confused in that it generally runs as it's own VNC instance, rather than under X11. You can make it attach to an existing VNC service, though. Here's a simple example for a VNC service running on X11 compatible display 1; obviously fill in the data which suits you:

%my-preferred-vncserver :2 -geometry 600x800 -depth 16
    %DISPLAY=2; export DISPLAY
    %my-emulator -avd avd_name -qemu

@netomx said:
    x11vnc

Cool. I was already started to search for a server with GPU LOL. I will look into it. Thanks for the head start.

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited April 2017

There are no complete tutorial for this as far as I searched.
    So correct me if Im wrong.

1. Setup vnc (in my case, I used tightvnc) and run it. Which will have display :1 and port 5901

2. Install x11vnc and start it with option -display :1 and it will have port 5900

3. Connect vnc port 5900 (x11vnc) and Im done?

If yes, why genymotion simply wont run with error The X11 connection broke?
    I have no knowledge about these things. Any help would be great.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Vita said: I had a bad multiple experiences with android x86, could not run anything above KitKat 4.4. All newer versions just bootloop.

Yeah turns out I run 4.0.4 in my KVM. Dunno what use the OP has for it, but aside from development, for most of the casual client-side uses Android 4.4 should be fine today.

• Cool. I got genymotion working with x11vnc. Thanks guys.