Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what's a good IO Speed for 4x1TB RAID10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what's a good IO Speed for 4x1TB RAID10

AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hey,

So i got a new dedi with 4x1TB In SW RAID10, as the drives are cheap ($15/month/each) I will assume they have been previously used. I have also installed cPanel (No accounts)

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle

0.28 0.37 0.27 0.23 0.00 98.85

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test

16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.19182 s, 173 MB/s

16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.36646 s, 169 MB/s

16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.15193 s, 175 MB/s

I think 170MB/s with SW Raid10 is good, but confused to why there is 0.23% IO Wait. What do you think?

Cheers

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

Seems reasonable for software. Are these SATA 2 or SATA 3 drives?

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Damian said:
    Seems reasonable for software. Are these SATA 2 or SATA 3 drives?

Not sure, for $15 i would guess SATA2

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2013

Seems about right, generally you will get around 100mb/s from a single drive and with 2 I usually see it around 170 - 195 mb/s

Just remember that with cPanel installed it draws a decent amount of resource just sitting idle with no accounts.

• hdparm and/or smartctl would give you more info on your drives - SATA revision, power-on hours, etc. Your speeds look good though - approaching 200MB/sec for 4x drives in SW RAID10 is very respectable.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Damian said:
    Are these SATA 2 or SATA 3 drives?

SATA2 vs SATA3 isn't going to matter much for 1 TB hard drives. A 1 TB hard drive is not going to be able to saturate SATA2.

Just to let you know, I ended up getting HW raid w/ bbu and getting about 300MB/s now.

• @alexander which HW raid controller?

• I have 4x3tb in raid 10 , I get 340mbps

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

Do people use SW RAID 10? I always thought RAID1 or 0 were the only things worth doing with SW RAID. I would imagine RAID10 would add a lot of load to the CPU doing it in SW.

• dnomdnom Member

Well raid10 is raid 1+0. It shouldn't cause a lot of CPU load.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Does your raid card have cache on it? If so, are you running in write-back or write-through mode?

Write-back means the card is actively caching writes (and therefore should have a BBU) and write-through means all writes are immediately flushed to disk. It makes a real big difference in performance for smaller files on a non-sequential basis.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@dnom said:
    Well raid10 is raid 1+0. It shouldn't cause a lot of CPU load.

1+0 + at least 4 drives as opposed to only 2 and at least 2x the amount of calculations.

• dnomdnom Member
    edited July 2013

@sman said:
    at least 2x the amount of calculations.

but 2 x 0 is still =0.
    There's really not much calculation(OK not really 0, but not too significant in today's CPU power.) happening here as the CPU does not do parity calculation unlike with other raids. I'm not saying that using raid cards for raid 10 is a bad idea though.

Now getting about 350MB/s it's a LSI raid card.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

When you say software do you mean Motherboard raid or mdadm?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

nm, the image did not load I see it was mdadm now :)

• zfedorazfedora Member
    edited July 2013

Now getting about 350MB/s it's a LSI raid card.

Write-back I'm assuming? Run dd a few times with the conv=fdatasync flag and see if it is consistent.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@dnom said:
    There's really not much calculation(OK not really 0, but not too significant in today's CPU power.) happening here as the CPU does not do parity calculation unlike with other raids. I'm not saying that using raid cards for raid 10 is a bad idea though.

I've never tried it so I really don't know. I was hoping someone who uses Software RAID10 and 1 would chime in. True that with todays processors it may be no big deal as opposed to just a few years ago. However, there may be a lot of interrupts generated which could slow things down. Also that I/O is on the motherboard in the chipset that also has to do other things as opposed to a raid card where it's isolated from other things.

Again, I don't know the answer and was hoping someone who has done it could chime in.

What model LSI card is it? They offer a lot of products, some are excellent and some are very much entry level. The type matters.

• @sman, I'm not sure about software RAID10, but for RAID 1 the processor utilization is generally insignificant under normal usage. However, if there's a rebuild/resync going on, the overall load will definitely shoot up.

• smansman Member

I use software RAID 1 all the time. The thing I like most about it is that configuration is the same regardless of hardware. With HW raid you have to learn proprietary configuration. Most everyone uses LSI now a days so that's not such a big deal but before I was using 3ware before LSI bought them so it created more complications having to know different configurations. That is the last thing you want to deal with when the proverbial stuff hits the fan.

Good point about rebuilds. With RAID1 it's very significant. That is the biggest disadvantage with sw raid imho.

@jbiloh said:
    What model LSI card is it? They offer a lot of products, some are excellent and some are very much entry level. The type matters.

@jbiloh it's the LSI 9260-4 highest I've got is 420MB/s

Yeah that's a pretty good card, it's cached with 512MB onboard.

Now you need to figure out whether you're running in write-back or write-through mode. Install MegaCLi.

• I have 4x3tb in raid 10 , I get 360mbps