Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important DNS server is?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How important DNS server is?

LivingSouLLivingSouL Member
edited January 2012 in General

I'm not that really sure about this, but does choosing a DNS server (free perhaps) affect the loading of the website?

I'm currently using CloudFlare but my 1 site (paid host) does go down sometimes but i still can ping it, and the other (hosted on my home DSL, openstatus-server and MRTG) shows connection interrupted but i still can ping it.

Note: I haven't enabled the cloudflare gateway feature where you can hide your IP and enable IPv6.

Please enlighten me.

Comments

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

@LivingSouL said: I'm not that really sure about this, but does choosing a DNS server (free perhaps) affect the loading of the website?

If they(DNS Server) are slow to respond, your new website visitor will face it.

@LivingSouL said: I'm currently using CloudFlare but my 1 site (paid host) does go down sometimes but i still can ping it, and the other (hosted on my home DSL, openstatus-server and MRTG) shows connection interrupted but i still can ping it.

In this case, your home DSL dns server already remember your website www.something.com has ip 192.168.1.1, but if you don't connect to your website after few mins/hours/days and while the dns server also refresh itself. After then you are surely unable to get into your website, because your dns server don't know what is the ip of your www.something.com since when it query to the nameserver of your www.something.com, it is broken and failed to feedback the ip.

So, it is a important.

:D

• @jenok: thanks! Would you recommend using CloudFlare? Or should I use my domain registrar's DNS server?

• speedy007speedy007 Member
    edited January 2012

• @DotVPS said: We are currently using Cloudflare as i find it easier and more reliable to use.

Thanks!

• @DotVPS said: We are currently using Cloudflare as i find it easier and more reliable to use.

More reliable than what? (Certainly you can't mean your own VPS service...) :o)

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

@LivingSouL said: @jenok: thanks! Would you recommend using CloudFlare? Or should I use my domain registrar's DNS server?

I never use them. But I would suggest to have own dns server. If you find it hard to manage more than one nameserver, you could try cPanel + cPanel dns only.