Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean - Monitoring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean - Monitoring

LeeLee Veteran

Not a huge deal, but why do it myself when they will. Small but regular advances.

We’re excited to announce the launch of our latest product: Monitoring. Available for free on all Droplets in every datacenter, you’ll be able to collect metrics, monitor Droplet performance, and receive alerts from the DigitalOcean control panel. It can be enabled during Droplet creation or installed on existing Droplets.

Collect metrics. With Monitoring, you’ll be able to collect and view information about the following metrics:
CPU .
Disk I/O .
Memory .
Disk usage .
Inbound and outbound bandwidth .
A process list ordered by CPU or memory usage .

Metrics are collected in one-minute intervals and data is retained for a month, letting you view current and historical data.

Set alert policies. Create alert policies that will notify you whenever a metric has hit your specified threshold. You can receive alert notifications via email or through Slack.

To learn more about the Monitoring service, be sure to read the announcement blog post. Or click below to start Monitoring your infrastructure!

Thanked by 1Master_Bo

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

One tiny step closer to world domination.

• damn, maybe i won't move over to vultr :D

• RizRiz Member

@jarland said:

The ocean levels are rising.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jgillichjgillich Member
    edited April 2017

jarland said: One tiny step closer to world domination.

Are you really though? I feel like DO is in a bit of a weird spot right now, the pricing is no longer competitive with Linode/Vultr, and AWS is king in terms of features. DO provides the most streamlined experience of them all, and that's what I love about it, but at least for me that alone doesn't quite cut it..

edited April 2017

jgillich said: Are you really though? I feel like DO is in a bit of a weird spot right now, the pricing is no longer competitive with Linode/Vultr, and AWS is king in terms of features. DO provides the most streamlined experience of them all, and that's what I love about it, but at least for me that doesn't quite cut it..

Is price your sole deciding factor? Not how many times your credit card has been leaked by the provider?

Anyway this is a market where everything changes. If you're always chasing the most for the least, you will never stay at one provider and will have to migrate every few months. There's more to it than that for anyone above a hobbyist. Some people deploy production services and can't afford to migrate every time the wind blows a different direction. Today's cheapest deal around is tomorrow's overpriced junk to the person who migrates to follow the bottom of the market trends. I think LET has shown us that this is often the case.

The only thing you can be certain of is that nothing will stay as it is now in this industry. Well, that and you can set your clock by AWS remaining confusing to someone who hasn't taken a course in how to effectively utilize it ;)

Remember there's also a reason shared hosting went through a rough patch and everyone sold out to EIG. Because competing on price meant no one could keep up with economic realities while offering solid service. HostGator couldn't afford their staffing with the need to upgrade servers and the requirement to provide health care, look at them now, just like all the others. The race to the bottom is fun to watch, but it has a penalty eventually. One should act carefully before wading into those waters.

Amazon is the only one who can probably win in the race to the bottom, thanks to having such a powerful financial backer as their primary service. Things might be interesting to watch if they ever decided to take a massive hit just to hurt everyone else.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

More ram couldn't hurt in that pursuit :P I'm looking at Linode right now for something currently at DO, mostly because we need more ram and.. yeah, half the price.

• r0xzr0xz Member

can you monitor other servers outside DO using this agent?

• @jarland can you tell me more why every company is sold to EIG?

edited April 2017

@jetchirag said:
    @jarland can you tell me more why every company is sold to EIG?

The moment when people moved from static sites to Wordpress was a defining moment for the shared hosting industry. Server capacity was cut to a fraction of what it was, and most big companies that were around for a good time before that transition now needed to replace fleets of servers to handle the new demand. Combine that with increased need for support and a lack of planning on how to scale that leading to overstaffing in combination with a market requiring lower and lower prices to compete and you have a perfect storm.

In comes Endurance with a ton of financial backing who says "We'll make sure you stay afloat, we'll take care of you and your customers, and you'll continue to run your business as you have."

Because EIG thought they could subsidize the business by pooling so much money together that it would all level out and ultimately turn a profit. They were wrong, and they relied on flawed models and incompetent leadership. It led to massive restructuring of the businesses they purchased, one by one. They were right to do it, they were wrong to buy the hosts. The right move, market-wise, was to let them fail and not try to bundle them together like they were trying to create the next housing bubble. Frankly, that's exactly what they were trying to do, in my opinion, was recreate the housing bubble that burst in 2008 but with a market that had far less oversight..

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • jarland said: Is price your sole deciding factor? Not how many times your credit card has been leaked by the provider?

Anyway this is a market where everything changes. If you're always chasing the most for the least, you will never stay at one provider and will have to migrate every few months. Come on, there's more to it than that for anyone above a hobbyist. Some people deploy production services and can't afford to migrate every time the wind blows a different direction.

Let's be honest, I have used DO right from the start: Price was a major reason why it was such a huge success. Price is always a major factor, the question is if the additional services that DO provides make up for the fact that it costs significantly more. There are many cases where the platform DO provides will save costs.
    But there are many more cases where other services work just as well at significantly lower costs.

Thanked by 1jar

@jgillich said:

jarland said: Is price your sole deciding factor? Not how many times your credit card has been leaked by the provider?

Anyway this is a market where everything changes. If you're always chasing the most for the least, you will never stay at one provider and will have to migrate every few months. Come on, there's more to it than that for anyone above a hobbyist. Some people deploy production services and can't afford to migrate every time the wind blows a different direction.

Let's be honest, I have used DO right from the start: Price was a major reason why it was such a huge success. Price is always a major factor, the question is if the additional services that DO provides make up for the fact that it costs significantly more. There are many cases where the platform DO provides will save costs.
    But there are many more cases where other services work just as well at significantly lower costs.

Well keep watching. I don't have any inside information in relation to that, but one thing I know about our industry: Nothing stays the same forever.

• @jarland Thanks a ton :D

• jarland said:

Amazon is the only one who can probably win in the race to the bottom, thanks to having such a powerful financial backer as their primary service.

GCE seems to be landing some big deployments at AWS's expense lately. They also have tons of financial backing and IMHO much more technical strength. AWS has more features and ecosystem still, I guess, but can cost a lot more.

That was interesting about Wordpress. I wonder what it would have taken to write something like that which didn't suck so much (less cpu-heavy etc). I didn't realize it had had such an impact.

willie said: GCE seems to be landing some big deployments at AWS's expense lately. They also have tons of financial backing and IMHO much more technical strength. AWS has more features and ecosystem still, I guess, but can cost a lot more.

True. Google is going to carve out a nice spot for themselves. They just need to get better at attracting customers. I can see them only trying to go after the high end, but the low and middle can really pack a punch if you do it right.

willie said: That was interesting about Wordpress. I wonder what it would have taken to write something like that which didn't suck so much (less cpu-heavy etc). I didn't realize it had had such an impact.

Some of the HG reseller boxes at SoftLayer had 2GB of RAM. Just imagine how fast that capacity dropped. (No NDA signed)

• If there were a much faster blogging platform than Wordpress, at this point would anyone care? It could do similar stuff to base WP + some of the more popular plugins, but obviously it wouldn't be feasible to replicate the whole ecosystem.

@willie said:
    If there were a much faster blogging platform than Wordpress, at this point would anyone care? It could do similar stuff to base WP + some of the more popular plugins, but obviously it wouldn't be feasible to replicate the whole ecosystem.

I don't think anyone could dethrone Wordpress very easily, even if you replicated the features of the most popular plugins. The real problem with Wordpress is that "designers" use it. They'll use some kind of quick installer like softaculous and just run with a theme and a bunch of plugins. Then the user pays them one time, they never log in again, and later it's compromised. Which, of course, is the host's fault.

Rinse and repeat with hundreds of thousands of "designers" who learned how to install Wordpress ;)

It's hard to get them to do something different than what they know, because they're making great money doing it.

Thanked by 2saf31 k0nsl
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    Then the user pays them one time, they never log in again, and later it's compromised. Which, of course, is the host's fault.

To be fair, the automated updates are getting better and better. Theme/plugin vulnerabilities are an issue, but way more people are moving to child themes and almost all premium themes have automatic updates built in. It's still not great but I see it improving bit by bit.

Overloading a box with plugins is definitely still an issue though, see it way too often. Disable 10 social sharing plugins, don't use dynamic widgets where a few lines of static code can be dropped in, remove outdated & vulnerable caching plugins.. uggh.

Every client gets referred to managed WordPress hosting nowadays, standard cPanel hosts normally don't have the performance or expertise to handle WP tickets from a client's "web guy".

Thanked by 2jar saf31
  • saf31saf31 Member

For simple things wordpress/anything with database is overkill, I hope people will get used to much lighter flat file cms systems like GRAV. Anyway, enjoying the discussion in this thread, thanks to jarland.

• Luke007Luke007 Member
    edited April 2017

With monitoring in place, is this the end of unmetered bandwidth in Digital Ocean?

Thanked by 1Plioser

@Luke007 said:
    With monitoring in place, is this the end of unmetered bandwidth in Digital Ocean?

I wouldn't take this as an official statement, but I am unaware of any effort to push something like that forward.

I would also consider it flawed since do-agent is open source, so if we relied on it's numbers for billing I'd call it a laughable effort. One fork that reports false numbers and game over ;)

Thanked by 2Luke007 Plioser
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2017

jgillich said: the pricing is no longer competitive with Linode/Vultr

jgillich said: Price is always a major factor

Spoken like a true lowender!

The market is changing the same way shared hosting has. Digital Ocean do not need to be competitive with Linode and Vultr, in fact the opposite. Linode has had 3 price drops in a reasonably short period of time, $20 down to $10 and now $5. They got too comfortable after years of brand loyalty with little serious competition, it was DO that broke that loyalty, I remember droves of Linode clients switching to DO early on.

Vultr started by pricing like DO but increasing resource, now they have a $2.50 service, not because they are nice people, because they are not getting the market share they want or expect to undercut again.

To this kind of market (LE*) where as @Jarland points out, people will move just to save a very small amount there will always be something cheaper or the same with more resource. But it's those people that kill the sector with their desire for cheaper.

Time has changed nothing here, most providers in the LE* market are destined to fail, they have no marketing acumen outside of here, they come in low, are forced to stay low and will never break away from it, thus never expanding. They will close down or sell out, it's just a matter of when.

For many the $5-$10 price bracket is affordable and where you can get the choice of DO, Linode and to a lesser extent Vultr, Scaleway and some others there is less and less need to focus on any cheaper.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited April 2017

Lee said: Time has changed nothing here, most providers in the LE* market are destined to fail, they have no marketing acumen outside of here, they come in low, are forced to stay low and will never break away from it, thus never expanding. They will close down or sell out, it's just a matter of when.

It's inevitably true as most are either one man operations or one man operations with hired support help. Most don't seem to have or at least don't openly state that they have a plan for how it continues when they can no longer run it. The assumption has to be that either they'll shut down or sell.

Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, or that you shouldn't pick them as your providers. Some people aren't trying to build an empire, and some people aren't looking to join one.

As for me, I know I can do the low end thing. I'd like to build an empire just once. I'd like to be one of the few to crack the secret of scaling out a support team that provides quality and personal service at scale that is highly praised by it's customers, economically sound, and has a team that is taken care of and happy to show up to work every day. Anyone can do it, figuring out the secret to doing it at scale... now that's the part people fail time and time again.

Thanked by 4Lee lazyt Eased AuroraZ
  • LeeLee Veteran

Stupid idea this monitoring system. Always sending me emails...

• jarland said: Not how many times your credit card has been leaked by the provider?

Do you mean Vultr, Linode, AWS have leaked any customer CC?

• bapbap Member

Really glad to hear DO launch any feature that improve their services quality. But...

• dedicados said:

Do you mean Vultr, Linode, AWS have leaked any customer CC?

Linode, multiple times.

• KrisKris Member

Maybe a bit too taxing to the system?

Digital Ocean support and management panels down 40 minutes now

{"id":"service_unavailable","message":"Failed to forward the request you made, please try again."}

Ah, someone's noticed : https://status.digitalocean.com/

Thanked by 1jar
  • zilchzilch Member

telegraf + influxdb + grafana. do it yourself.

• bapbap Member

@Kris said:
    Maybe a bit too taxing to the system?

Digital Ocean support and management panels down 40 minutes now

{"id":"service_unavailable","message":"Failed to forward the request you made, please try again."}

Ah, someone's noticed : https://status.digitalocean.com/

Yups.. here