Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching for resources for my master's thesis
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Searching for resources for my master's thesis

Hello everyone,

first of thank you for the good site as I was able to host many nice projects by using cheap vps.

I am a malware analyst and researcher specializing in sinkholing command and control servers of malware families. My lastest reference is the paper "Vawtrak V2" in collaboration with Sophos (which was also used as the topic for my bachelor's thesis). In that project I already sinkholed the malware family Vawtrak. I received the sinkhole by a russian vps company.
It is two years now since the project and I am going to write my master's thesis in the following months.

I have the following question now and hope that you guys can help me out. I am looking again for a sinkhole of any malware family for my next project. I am pretty sure that some malware authors try to use "lowend" vps because of the cheap price and easy vm setup.

I would really like to do the same kind of research as I did last time. It seems like it is really hard to get a project by a company without having anything to offer to them. A sinkholing project like last time would really make the whole process easier and more interesting. I would also recommend the comapny in the paper as compensation.

I would be happy about a positive answer. Greetings to everyone!

Thanked by 1seaeagle

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

malwarehunter said: My lastest reference is the paper "Vawtrak V2" in collaboration with Sophos

Link: https://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialibrary/PDFs/technical papers/sophos-vawtrak-v2-sahin-wyke.pdf?la=en

I enjoyed reading it, though I went through it quickly because it's not my field. Still, reading over the malware architecture, etc. was cool. I loved the Conclusion's description of the botnet as a software product, with regular releases, "active developers and a thriving customer base", building out infrastructure, etc.

Hmmm..

@Francisco

• @raindog308 said:

malwarehunter said: My lastest reference is the paper "Vawtrak V2" in collaboration with Sophos

Link: https://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialibrary/PDFs/technical papers/sophos-vawtrak-v2-sahin-wyke.pdf?la=en

I enjoyed reading it, though I went through it quickly because it's not my field. Still, reading over the malware architecture, etc. was cool. I loved the Conclusion's description of the botnet as a software product, with regular releases, "active developers and a thriving customer base", building out infrastructure, etc.

Hmmm..

@Francisco

He wasn't lying. PONIES EVERYWHERE <3

• Hello everyone and thank you very much for your answers. I feel proud that you enjoyed reading the paper raindog308. As you are a moderator here, would you be able to get me in contact with some VPS providers for this kind of projects?

I will keep this request open and hope that we can find some new resources for future projects.

• blackblack Member

That was an interesting read. Best of luck finding your VPS provider :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

What sort of spec do you need for the VPS?

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@malwarehunter said:
    Hello everyone and thank you very much for your answers. I feel proud that you enjoyed reading the paper raindog308. As you are a moderator here, would you be able to get me in contact with some VPS providers for this kind of projects?

I will keep this request open and hope that we can find some new resources for future projects.

Drop me a PM, let me know what you need.

• Reach out the shadow server project. They might be able to help out also.