Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter Support [2 Years in]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter Support [2 Years in]

I previously posted this review about DelimiterVPS: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/997605.

In those 2 years things have been generally good up until yesterday when my server unexpectedly powered off. I opened a support ticket and 24 hours later the only response I receive is this from their support group:

"You have a full KVM on the server, login to the server, open the Remote Console, diagnose the issue.

< name redacted >"

Their support group proceeded to close my ticket.

Hopping on to the KVM would make a lot of sense... if the server could be POWERED ON. Since it does not turn on, there is nothing I can do from my end.

I sincerely hope that this is anomaly- with that said, I am still waiting for them to fix this and credit my account for the downtime. Will keep you posted on how things go.

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Reply the ticket again and say vps is not booting up .

• @hostdare: I did that, but have received no response yet.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@i68040 said:
    @hostdare: I did that, but have received no response yet.

I think Sunday ,give another 24 hours .I have heard their support is slow anyway .

• I am certainly living that at the moment. :)

• YuraYura Member

Deli who?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @Yura said:
    Deli who?

Delicatessen.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • YuraYura Member

@deadbeef said:

@Yura said:
    Deli who?

Delicatessen.

I'm down for it if they Deli very on their promises.

Thanked by 2deadbeef geekalot
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

This is a dedicated server I assume.

So when you opened the ticket did it contain these specific bits of information:

1) You have logged in to the IPMI/KVMoIP/DRAC and confirmed the power state

2) when attempting to use the IPMI/KVMoIP/DRAC to reset the server assuming it has a remote power port, the power state did not change.

If you did and that was the response you got then someone at Delimiter is shit at their job.

If you did not do all of that or did not explicitly include that info and evidence in your support ticket, I cant say I am surprised you got that response, it is a self managed service.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @i68040 said:
    I previously posted this review about DelimiterVPS: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/997605.

In those 2 years things have been generally good up until yesterday when my server unexpectedly powered off. I opened a support ticket and 24 hours later the only response I receive is this from their support group:

"You have a full KVM on the server, login to the server, open the Remote Console, diagnose the issue.

< name redacted >"

Their support group proceeded to close my ticket.

Hopping on to the KVM would make a lot of sense... if the server could be POWERED ON. Since it does not turn on, there is nothing I can do from my end.

I sincerely hope that this is anomaly- with that said, I am still waiting for them to fix this and credit my account for the downtime. Will keep you posted on how things go.

Did you look on your KVM console?
    Did you tried to stop it and turn on again?

• LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: it is a self managed service

But self managed just means I raise a ticket by myself and they fix it right?

• In my experience they've always been somewhere between subpar and totally shit at replying to tickets.

Ticketed in to billing with a question on 1st March. I never received a reply. I've continued to receive sales emails, so replied to a sales ticket (I know that's annoying, but just wanted to let them know). I received a reply that I should reply in my ticket stating that I've not had a response. That's fair enough. Fast forward a week and still nothing. It's not getting renewed now anyway, so even if for some bizarre reason they decide to reply, they're wasting their time.

I feel so much better having got that out :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LowEndTherapy - for when LowEndHelpDesk fails!

• I assume @MarkTurner is no longer around. Would that be a correct assumption?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @AuroraZ said:
    I assume @MarkTurner is no longer around. Would that be a correct assumption?

If you click his profile link youll see last active: may 2016.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Then I would have to say he no longer visits. Been almost a year anyways.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@AuroraZ said:
    Then I would have to say he no longer visits. Been almost a year anyways.

as much as I have been told neither @MarkTurner nor @mikeyur are with delimiter for quite some time now. for the latter I am sure, for the former can't reliably tell though.

edited April 2017

So I am guessing as the op has not returned it was a classic case of: I have tried nothing and I am all out of ideas

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    So I am guessing as the op has not returned it was a classic case of: I have tried nothing and I am all out of ideas

If you can't get into the tools to restart the KVM, and your host isn't responding- how many options do you really have?

I like the OP's moniker, though. Wonder if he has a full MM/FPU paired with that like the m80387..

• i68040i68040 Member
    edited April 2017

@Lee said:

In this case I could not restart the server. In the past when this has happened the response has been pretty speedy and there has been no misunderstanding of what 'server down' meant. This time it took them 29 hours to power the server back on.

• @WSS said:

@AnthonySmith said:

If you can't get into the tools to restart the KVM, and your host isn't responding- how many options do you really have?

This is exactly where I found myself. I only started reaching out on other channels (facebook page, this thread) when I received no useful responses and no help.

I like the OP's moniker, though. Wonder if he has a full MM/FPU paired with that like the m80387..

That is what I have targeted. Why go for the 68LC040 when you can go all the way? :)

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Or, it could mean that I was occupied dealing with the mess that a 29 hour service outage caused me.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@i68040 said:

@Lee said:

In this case I could not restart the server. In the past when this has happened the response has been pretty speedy and there has been no misunderstanding of what 'server down' meant. This time it took them 29 hours to power the server back on.

Curious though, you didn't clarify in your original post here. How much information did you give them in the initial ticket? In your post here you just said "my server unexpectedly powered off" and if that was similar to the message they received, a logical answer for an unmanaged service would be "Well have you tried powering it on?" Which, in this case, their answer would be roughly equivalent to but with courtesy to give a bit more detail on how you might do that.

• @jarland said:
    Curious though, you didn't clarify in your original post here. How much information did you give them in the initial ticket? In your post here you just said "my server unexpectedly powered off" and if that was similar to the message they received, a logical answer for an unmanaged service would be "Well have you tried powering it on?" Which, in this case, their answer would be roughly equivalent to but with courtesy to give a bit more detail on how you might do that.

I informed them that the server was down and not responding. In the past that has been all I've needed to say to this particular support group and they have quickly checked the things they are responsible for (power and network) and fixed what has gone wrong. That's why I've been a pretty happy Delimiter customer until this most recent interaction- their support was phenomenal for the times I needed it before.

@i68040 said:

@jarland said:

I informed them that the server was down and not responding. In the past that has been all I've needed to say to this particular support group and they have quickly checked the things they are responsible for (power and network) and fixed what has gone wrong. That's why I've been a pretty happy Delimiter customer until this most recent interaction- their support was phenomenal for the times I needed it before.

I'd be lenient in this case solely because it sounds like you tried to power it on but didn't tell them that. You've made it this far while appreciating them and that's a pretty strong omission from the original ticket, regardless of their popularity.

I think the reality is the OP has gotten away with getting some free management in the past and came to expect it, there is no real reason not to try and turn it on yourself when you have full kvm.

They probably got tired of doing things that they have already provided the tools to do for yourself.

Sadly the host in question was kicked/chased out so we will only get one side.

Thanked by 2netomx AuroraZ
  • i68040i68040 Member
    edited April 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    I think the reality is the OP has gotten away with getting some free management in the past and came to expect it, there is no real reason not to try and turn it on yourself when you have full kvm.

They probably got tired of doing things that they have already provided the tools to do for yourself.

Can you please explain how powering on a server can be considered 'free management'? If my tools to power on the server do not work and the support group needs to intervene, I would hardly call that an unreasonable request.

In the past the issues that I raise as support tickets have always been issues that have required intervention from support, so I don't have a history of requesting undue help.

It also sounds like you are OK with a >24Hour response on a hard-reset from a service provider... Which is not cool.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: kicked/chased out

edited April 2017

@i68040 said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Can you please explain how powering on a server can be considered 'free management'? If my tools to power on the server do not work and the support group needs to intervene, I would hardly call that an unreasonable request.

In the past the issues that I raise as support tickets have always been issues that have required intervention from support, so I don't have a history of requesting undue help.

It also sounds like you are OK with a >24Hour response on a hard-reset from a service provider... Which is not cool.

This is the first time you have confirmed that the kvm/impi/Drac is broken as far as I can see, see my first response. I said if you confirmed that in the ticket and provided evidence of that when you initially opened it then this is entirely delimiters fault.

FYI you can ssh into most drac/ipmi's and do a remote reset of the card to get it back up properly.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
    edited April 2017

@i68040 said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Gee if only you had, oh I don't know, added in the sentence "I tried to power it on already and it didn't work" to your original ticket then this thread wouldn't even be here. To match your tone:

Can you please explain to me how the provider was supposed to know that you couldn't power it on when you didn't tell them that? It sounds like you're okay with opening tickets that do not provide all relevant information and then complaining on a forum about them not reading your mind.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @jarland said:

@i68040 said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Gee if only you had, oh I don't know, added in the sentence "I tried to power it on already and it didn't work" to your original ticket then this thread wouldn't even be here. To match your tone:

Thanks for the helpful advice, I'll keep in mind that my hosting provider's support group might not know the level of service that is required to handle tickets related to unmanaged services in the future.

As is always the case, looking back on a case you can find something that could have been said that might have made things go better. Imagine waking up to downtime on a important server only to have the support group close your case when the issue was a problem that required support intervention.

@AnthonySmith to your comment about drac/ipmi, that approach did not work. As I mentioned above to @jarland, obviously there was a disconnect between me and support. I have my expectations clearly adjusted now about how the support group views downtime and responds to it.

@no-one-in-particular There definitely seems to be a hostile response here about my support experience. I would not just be concerned about scaring off providers.