Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH New SP-32 and SP-64 2017 with E3-1270v6 4c/8th 3.8/4.2GHz and vRack! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH New SP-32 and SP-64 2017 with E3-1270v6 4c/8th 3.8/4.2GHz and vRack!

Comments

• Anyone with OVH Xeon E3-1270v6 or E3-1230v6 care to run a CentOS 7.3 (original distro kernel) install test for Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 LEMP stack for me to see what kind of install times you get compared to posted dedicated/vps install times at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/post-your-centmin-mod-123-09beta01-install-time-stats.8866/

the SSH install command is just

yum -y update; curl -O https://centminmod.com/betainstaller.sh && chmod 0700 betainstaller.sh && bash betainstaller.sh

with OVH Core i7 4790K managed ~520 seconds https://community.centminmod.com/threads/ovh-intel-core-i7-4790k-32gb-2x240gb-samsung-pm863-ssd-review.9611/#post-47372

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total Curl Installer YUM or DNF Time: 56.1786 seconds
    Total YUM Time: 12.470224222 seconds
    Total YUM or DNF + Source Download Time: 28.4158
    Total Nginx First Time Install Time: 50.0480
    Total PHP First Time Install Time: 150.4703
    Download Zip From Github Time: 1.2459
    Total Time Other eg. source compiles: 234.5482
    Total Centmin Mod Install Time: 463.4823
    Total Install Time (curl yum + cm install + zip download): 520.9068 seconds

curious to see if E3-1270v6 is worth it :)

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited April 2017

@teamacc said:
    What does sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda return? (might have to adjust to /dev/md0/1)

root@bhs32:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/nvme0n1

/dev/nvme0n1:
     Timing cached reads:   35446 MB in  2.00 seconds = 17748.69 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads: 2780 MB in  3.00 seconds = 925.64 MB/sec

/dev/nvme0n1:
     Timing cached reads:   34954 MB in  2.00 seconds = 17501.42 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads: 2778 MB in  3.00 seconds = 925.45 MB/sec

/dev/nvme0n1:
     Timing cached reads:   35346 MB in  2.00 seconds = 17698.53 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads: 2770 MB in  3.00 seconds = 923.28 MB/sec

Thanked by 1MaikoB
  • FredQcFredQc Member
    edited April 2017

eva2000 said: curious to see if E3-1270v6 is worth it :)

I've just ordered a SP-64 E3-1270v6 2x2TB SATA + 2x450GB NVMe

They are set for delivery in 10 days :( Hopes to get it sooner :)

I do think the E3-1270v6 will perform similar to the I7-6700K. They both have same turbo speed @ 4.2

• @FredQc said:

eva2000 said: curious to see if E3-1270v6 is worth it :)

I've just ordered a SP-64 E3-1270v6 2x2TB SATA + 2x450GB NVMe

They are set for delivery in 10 days :( Hopes to get it sooner :)

I do think the E3-1270v6 will perform similar to the I7-6700K. They both have same turbo speed @ 4.2

looking forward to whatever results you can share :)

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017
  • EasedEased Member, Host Rep

Ughh.... vRack went from 1Gbps to 10Mbps???? RIP

• @Eased said:
    Ughh.... vRack went from 1Gbps to 10Mbps???? RIP

There was no vRack available on the SP-32 line before. Now they offer 10Mbps for free or 1Gbps for a fee. Not bad.

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited April 2017

@Falzo said:

@Luke007 said:

VAT is applicable only for European Customers.

that's probably more wrong then right. if you are dealing with a branch of OVH located in europe themselves VAT applies to all customers unless they are valid/proven business clients.

It applies to EU customers, not the location of the datacenter. EU customers, without a valid VAT number, who purchase servers in North America, should still be charged VAT. Enforcing that, policing that, complying with that...well that's another topic.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@moonmartin said:

@Falzo said:

@Luke007 said:

that's probably more wrong then right. if you are dealing with a branch of OVH located in europe themselves VAT applies to all customers unless they are valid/proven business clients.

It applies to EU customers, not the location of the datacenter. EU customers, without a valid VAT number, who purchase servers in North America, should still be charged VAT. Enforcing that, policing that, complying with that...well that's another topic.

yes you are right. but I wasn't referring to the location of the datacenter but the location of the business branch and especially the tax towards non-eu customers.

so for non-eu customers buying services from non-eu businesses VAT shouldn't matter - that might be the case if OVH runs a branch in canada which also does the billing and taxes.

in opposite to that a non-eu customer buying from OVH in france would need to pay french VAT as OVH is supposed to charge it, as long as the non-eu customer doesn't deliver proof to be a business client themselves.

one can possibly discuss widely about this and that, especially the latest regulations including MOSS and such aren't fully fought through courts if I am not mistaken...

edited April 2017

@Falzo said:

@moonmartin said:

@Falzo said:

@Luke007 said:

yes you are right. but I wasn't referring to the location of the datacenter but the location of the business branch and especially the tax towards non-eu customers.

so for non-eu customers buying services from non-eu businesses VAT shouldn't matter - that might be the case if OVH runs a branch in canada which also does the billing and taxes.

in opposite to that a non-eu customer buying from OVH in france would need to pay french VAT as OVH is supposed to charge it, as long as the non-eu customer doesn't deliver proof to be a business client themselves.

one can possibly discuss widely about this and that, especially the latest regulations including MOSS and such aren't fully fought through courts if I am not mistaken...

You are saying that EU business are required to charge VAT to non EU customers which is not true. Non-EU customers are NOT supposed to get charged VAT, even if they buy services from an EU business. EU customers are supposed to get charged VAT no matter where the business they buy the services from is located.

If OVH France requires proof you are not an EU customer that's besides the point. EU customers do NOT pay VAT to the business they are buying services from if they have a VAT number. Of course you need to submit that and any other proof the seller may require.

Of course EU businesses selling services also have a VAT number but that is besides the point. Of course non EU businesses selling services to EU customers also require a VAT in order to submit the proceeds from the tax but that is also besides the point.

The fact it is a stupid complicated system that puts the onus on small businesses to do all the work and is impossible to enforce fairly worldwide is a whole other discussion. As far as I know, they have only gone after Apple and maybe a few other big fish. I think a lot of smaller companies just ignore the rules which is not fair to those of us who try play by the rules. So it's a stupid bureaucratic system all around but that's besides the point.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@moonmartin said:

You are saying that EU business are required to charge VAT to non EU customers which is not true.

Sorry to disappoint, but it is. See, the whole point of having to charge VAT or not to any customer as a european business depends on where the law places the fulfilment.

That can be either the location of the client or the location of the business itself (or maybe even the location of the DC in some cases). And where the law places that fulfilment in most cases just depends on the client being a business itself or not.

A valid VAT ID is just something to ease things and deliver a verifiable proof (VIES) but it isn't the only thing to decide whether being allowed to excempt a client from VAT or not.

Non-EU customers are NOT supposed to get charged VAT, even if they buy services from an EU business.

Yes they are. If I as a german business get a US client who is not a busines themselves our law requires me to charge them german VAT as a general rule.
    Simply because the law puts the place of fulfilment on my location unless the client is a business then the location of the client is what counts. Which of course to proof against my tax authorities I am beung held reliable for...

Of course there might be exceptions to this, mostly depending on the kind of service or good involved which might change the place of fulfilment and therefore the VAT rule that has to be applied or not.

And as said above for some digital goods the MOSS regulations came in causing more confusion...

After all it is by far more complex then just not being from eu or having a vat id.
    I suggest consulting a european lawyer specialized in taxes. ;-)

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@Falzo do you have any evidence for this? I had a tax audit last year and do have non eu customers (b2b and b2c) and did not charge VAT to anyone outside the EU. Everything was in order on my side.

I just double checked on the dutch tax authorities site and they also confirm that no VAT should be charged.

All of this is for electronic services. I'm not sure about others.

Thanked by 1MaikoB
    edited April 2017

@vfuse said:
    @Falzo do you have any evidence for this? I had a tax audit last year and do have non eu customers (b2b and b2c) and did not charge VAT to anyone outside the EU. Everything was in order on my side.

I just double checked on the dutch tax authorities site and they also confirm that no VAT should be charged.

You are correct as far as I know. At least for services like hosting which they call digital services or electronically supplied services.

From 1 January 2015, EU VAT will be charged in the country where products are bought (where your customer lives) as opposed to the country where they are sold (where you live). The legislation applies to electronically supplied services.

For non-EU businesses selling to the EU

If your customer is a business in the EU, they should be registered for their own VAT number and as a business, they are responsible for collecting and remitting VAT. You don’t have to.

You sell to Consumers: They don’t have a VAT number and you ARE selling Electronically Supplied Services. This affects you.

You can register for MOSS. This is a “Mini-one-stop-shop” in the EU. Instead of registering in each 28 Member States in the EU, you can do it in one place.
    Choose which countries you want to continue selling to and know the laws there (invoicing rules, VAT rates etc.)

This is just one of hundreds of links you will find on the subject if you still don't believe me.

http://www.shannonleesimmons.com/eu-vat-january-2015-changes-no-eu-sellers/

• Anybody got delivery of 2017 SP32 or SP64? Please post the benchmark.

• http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php has figures for the 1280 v5 and v6. After adjusting for the v6's slightly higher frequency, it is about 0.4% faster clock for clock.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@vfuse said:

this probably is more a misunderstanding about the point I am aiming at here.
    I was to argue about the general statement of non-eu customers have to do nothing with VAT overall.

that simply isn't so. as already said it is more of the other way round, in first place all customers for services of an eu-business are applicable to VAT like described above.
    in a second step after that one may look which exemptions may apply. that is where MOSS comes in and those rules for 'electronically supplied service' which in general regulate that the place of fulfilment also in a B2C case changes to the customers and therefore needs you to charge VAT depending on the customers location.

the link @moonmartin pointed at clarifies this especially for non-eu sellers, but of course it also applies for EU sellers.

but for the general rules (at least for germany ) §1 (1) UStG regulates that (german) VAT applies to all services of a business with place of fulfilment in germany.
    furthermore §3a (1) UStG ( http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ustg_1980/__3a.html ) then defines that the place of fulfilment for all services is the location of the business itself (germany) unless any of the exemptions defined in the later numbers apply (one of it being the B2B case).

which leaves us at the point, the I have to apply VAT to any customer I deliver services to, unless they match an exemption like being a business themselves...

I am pretty sure all EU countries have regulations like this, because all of them sooner or later comply to what the EU suggest in first place... ;-)

Falzo said: Of course there might be exceptions to this, mostly depending on the kind of service or good involved which might change the place of fulfilment and therefore the VAT rule that has to be applied or not.

that is where your tax audit @vfuse of course proved you right!

electronically supplied services are that special case where place of fulfilment changes to the customer - which is what changed back on 1.1.2015
    yet as far as I am aware it isn't fully clarified (legally) where to draw the line for what counts as 'electronically supplied services' and what may not - webhosting is clearly included, colocation may be not...

at least there is a list which might give further hints: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/sites/taxation/files/resources/documents/common/buying_online/electronically_supplied_services.pdf

moonmartin said: You are correct as far as I know. At least for services like hosting which they call digital services or electronically supplied services.

again I never was to disagree that non-eu customers maybe VAT exempted depending on what they order, and of course especially a lot of the services around LET may fall under those 'electronically supplied services' regulation.

my point simply was to disagree with the general statement 'no VAT for non-eu customers at all'.

• @Luke007 said:
    Anybody got delivery of 2017 SP32 or SP64? Please post the benchmark.

This is in EU thought, it seems no one got theirs in BHS yet.

Thanked by 1Luke007
  • FredQcFredQc Member
    edited April 2017

Just finished installing my SP-64 2017 in BHS-3

Quick Geekbench here: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/2543940
    Performance is on par with the i7-6700k

root@bhs3:~# wget x86.ca/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  3801.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 64116 MB
    Total amount of swap : 32765 MB
    System uptime :   30 min,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 95.5MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Beauharnois, Canada: 110MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Toronto, Canada: 51.1MB/s 
    Download speed from ColoCrossing, Chicago, USA: 26.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Choopa, Piscataway, USA: 84.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Dacentec, Lenoir, USA: 23.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlanta (10Gbps pipe), USA: 47.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Volume Drive, Wilkes Barre, USA: 59.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Orlando, USA: 25.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Incero, Dallas, USA: 37.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, San Francisco, USA: 27.6MB/s 
    Download speed from QuadraNET, LA, USA: 15.1MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Roubaix, FR: 13.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Redstation, London, UK: 16.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, DE: 14.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem: 26.2MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 13.6MB/s 
    Disk throughput - 1 time        : 927 MB/s
    Disk throughput - 2 time        : 935 MB/s
    Disk throughput - 3 time        : 920 MB/s
    Average Disk throughput         : 927.333 MB/s

Need some sleep now...

Thanked by 3Falzo eva2000 willie
  • locallocal Member

How much money to buy? Where?

• @Falzo You are confused and just spouting nonsense.

Source: http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/cross-border/index_en.htm

It doesn't get more official that europa.eu

• FalzoFalzo Member

@deadbeef said:
    @Falzo You are confused and just spouting nonsense.

yeah maybe, if that's what's working for you ;-)

on the other hand I am not talking about selling goods here, but selling services which again is something different in terms of tax laws.

• LaDcLaDc Member

@Harambe said:

@pbgben said:
    We've already got NVMe in our BHS location. Soo fast ;P

What, no promo? Hit us with a deal.

I second that :)

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

@deadbeef said:
    It doesn't get more official that europa.eu

Indeed in Italy we never charge VAT to buyers from outside the EU, commercial or not. I hear such thing that you have to collect VAT from them from german people only.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @FredQc said:
    Just finished installing my SP-64 2017 in BHS-3

Quick Geekbench here: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/2543940
    Performance is on par with the i7-6700k

root@bhs3:~# wget x86.ca/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  3801.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 64116 MB
    Total amount of swap : 32765 MB
    System uptime :   30 min,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 95.5MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Beauharnois, Canada: 110MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Toronto, Canada: 51.1MB/s 
    Download speed from ColoCrossing, Chicago, USA: 26.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Choopa, Piscataway, USA: 84.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Dacentec, Lenoir, USA: 23.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlanta (10Gbps pipe), USA: 47.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Volume Drive, Wilkes Barre, USA: 59.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, Orlando, USA: 25.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Incero, Dallas, USA: 37.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Atlantic.NET, San Francisco, USA: 27.6MB/s 
    Download speed from QuadraNET, LA, USA: 15.1MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH, Roubaix, FR: 13.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Redstation, London, UK: 16.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, DE: 14.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem: 26.2MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 13.6MB/s 
    Disk throughput - 1 time        : 927 MB/s
    Disk throughput - 2 time        : 935 MB/s
    Disk throughput - 3 time        : 920 MB/s
    Average Disk throughput         : 927.333 MB/s

Need some sleep now...

How much was your server? I ordered the same SP-32 but was charged $111.99 instead of the $86.99 that it should be with the 450 GB NVMe disks.

• SprkFade said: How much was your server? I ordered the same SP-32 but was charged $111.99 instead of the $86.99 that it should be with the 450 GB NVMe disks.

Where you see $86.99? SP-32 2017 w/ NVMe is $111.99/mo USD

My actual server is $144/mo USD

But ordering from the CA site is actually much cheaper than US site... ;-)

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@FredQc said:

SprkFade said: How much was your server? I ordered the same SP-32 but was charged $111.99 instead of the $86.99 that it should be with the 450 GB NVMe disks.

US site shows $74.99 (new SP-32) + $12 for NVMe drives = $86.99. New SP-64 with NVMe drives is $116.99 USD.

• @Harambe said:

@FredQc said:

SprkFade said: How much was your server? I ordered the same SP-32 but was charged $111.99 instead of the $86.99 that it should be with the 450 GB NVMe disks.

US site shows $74.99 (new SP-32) + $12 for NVMe drives = $86.99. New SP-64 with NVMe drives is $116.99 USD.

Yeah, that's what I see. No idea how I was charged 111.99.

Dedicated Server(s)
    SUBSCRIPTION Domain Quantity Unit price Amount
    SP-32 Server - E3-1270v6 - 32GB - 1 month
    From April 14, 2017 to May 13, 2017
    $99.99 USD

Option SoftRaid 2x450GB SSD NVMe - 1 month
    From April 14, 2017 to May 13, 2017
    $12.00 USD

sub-total $111.99 USD

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Maybe they updated the prices since? $99.99 seems to be the Canadian pricing.

Worth calling support and getting them to look into it.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited April 2017

@Harambe said:

@FredQc said:

This is not what I see.

Edit: OK, emptied the cache and it's showing the new price.