Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 in the world
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 in the world

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
edited June 2013 in General

http://labs.apnic.net/index.shtml

It is still painfully slow... I mean, on that map 0.6% is considered good !!! Still only a few countries qualify...

I am happy to see romania leads by far with 11% while the next in line is at about 6% IIRC.
I am very sad to see people continue to waste money on ever increasing IPv4 prices instead of taking the jump...

Everyone says, well, the others didnt take the jump yet, so I will have to invest more in IPv4, no choice here :( If this continues, we will never go to IPv6.

Hopefully more and more hackers and activists will implement protocols for a free internet over IPv6 only and then it will take hold, but it may prompt some countries to even block IPv6 altogether citing is only used by ppl which have something to hide, i.e. criminals.
Things are not looking good, I expect IPv4 to continue to suck money for like 10 years from now on.

Comments

• I have to pay premium for IPv4 because SolusVM doesn't support IPv6-only containers... And otherwise failed to implement it properly. It's a real shame.

• @mpkossen said:
    I have to pay premium for IPv4 because SolusVM doesn't support IPv6-only containers... And otherwise failed to implement it properly. It's a real shame.

LowEndSpirit seem to be doing fine with ipv6 container and a private ipv4 attached on solusvm

• IPv6 adoption is still slow sadly. Not many people use it. The ISPs are at fault. We don't get it here at home, so no choice.

• @johnlth93 said:
    LowEndSpirit seem to be doing fine with ipv6 container and a private ipv4 attached on solusvm

Yes, but they use internal IPs in order to create containers. But you are right, if you "hack" your way around it, it is possible.

SolusVM still should implement IPv6 properly, though.

• @concerto49 said:
    IPv6 adoption is still slow sadly. Not many people use it. The ISPs are at fault. We don't get it here at home, so no choice.

truth, ISP not implementing IPv6 for home user caused us to have issue in implementing IPv6 on our servers and such

• You guys can still use a HE tunnel, right?

I'm very fortunate to have been allocated a /48 on my home connection (like it's supposed to work) and have native IPv6. I do pay premium for my internet, though.

• @mpkossen said:
    You guys can still use a HE tunnel, right?

I'm very fortunate to have been allocated a /48 on my home connection (like it's supposed to work) and have native IPv6. I do pay premium for my internet, though.

There's lot of ISP in my coutry that provide Private IPv4 to end users, we cant use HE tunnel with that.

• @mpkossen said:
    You guys can still use a HE tunnel, right?

IMO this isn't a good enough substitute. Once BT supports IPv6 then I'd be more happy to use it, however its pointless me wanting a server with IPv6 if I don't even have it locally. Guessing by where I live I doubt I will see it for quite a few years to come unless I decide to move.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

How in the world is Australia going good, our IPv6 ISP choices are really limited (Internode is the only residential I think) !

• Romania leads because your networks are designed like shit, sorry but that is the reality.

Most of Romanias Fiber/Ethernet/Cable (not DSL, DSL requires VLANs by standard) runs on a flat L2 network with sometimes even /16 (!!!!!) subnets and no spoofing or ip stealing protection at all (the macs are not even recorded...)
    Of course this makes v6 deployment easy (haha, one customer running a DHCP6/Autoconf could send IPv6 ranges to all RDS customers, i doubt they would filter that at all) but also has nearly zero security.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

@SplitIce I have had native IPv6 with Internode since late '09 I think. They allocate a /64. Internode are the best ISP in Australia.

I don't think it's that we are going well it's that everyone else is going so badly.

• emgemg Veteran

I have AT&T DSL at home. AT&T has been advertising IPv6 support, as long as you buy an approved DSL modem, which I did. That's when the trouble started. I spent many many hours trying to make it work, with no luck. Furthermore, despite claiming to support IPv6, when you call customer support, they tell you that IPv6 requires premium support, which costs $15 per month, minimum 12 months. I don't feel like paying $180 to ask, "How do I make IPv6 work on my home DSL?" when the answer is likely to be, "Waste a lot of time and effort with us while we totally mess up your configuration until you finally conclude that we lied; we can't support IPv6 on your part of the network."

Do I seem bitter? :-P

• There are still 15 million IPv4 left on ripe.After exhaustion i guess there will be black market for IPv4.

• DylanDylan Member

Google publishes some really cool IPv6 statistics, too, with a clearer methodology (people using Google):

http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

• @trewq I'm switching to Internode soon. What's the process of setting up v6?

My modem has pretty terrible firmware but PPPoE passthrough to pfSense would do the trick?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@saltspork Yep, should be fine with that. They have IPv6 turned on for new clients by default.