Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions while setting up database server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions while setting up database server

Hi,

I've recently bought many small vps and to save ram, I'm considering to move the database from these mini vps to medium size server. Would it be secure? Also, vps are all over world so would it effect website speed a lot? I don't need speed tho. Also, how can I secure it to fullest?

Comments

• k0nslk0nsl Member

Does the medium sized server reside in the same DC?

• Run MTR/traceroutes from your VPS servers to what server you're trying to connect to. If latency/network quality is crucial, get something to test it regularly like SmokePing

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

One DB server talking to servers all over the world...yes, it will affect web site speed. How much depends on what your web site does, but you say you don't need speed so it depends. I suspect there's more to your setup - are these VPSes all doing something and reporting it into a DB, and then you want to view data about what that VPS did by going to its web server? If so maybe you don't need speed.

Really, though, for less than a dollar you could spin up a DO or Vultr instance and see how the latency affects different locations.

You could use a firewall so that only the VPSes could connect to it - no other traffic allowed in.

• Latency and connection setup time definitely can add up.

Here's a better combo : Vultr/ArubaCloud Paris VMs, high ram Online.net Dedi for DB server.