Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with Storage (KVM)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with Storage (KVM)

Hey,

So I am testing some stuff out with DigitalOcean and Vultr, however, I am wondering, how exactly do they provide their storage disks ? By looking on DigitalOcean and Vultrs website, it states that they are stored on a different server for "stability" and all.

What I want to know is, what is the best way to achieve that? Are the disks attached with network or ?

I am trying to replicate this with own servers (just for fun) and want to know what is the best way to achieve something similar.

Basically, I want to keep the disks a part from the main server like DO and VULTR does.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

San.
    Gluster.
    Etc.

Thanked by 1PrestigeWS
  • At DO they are network attached block devices so you run mkfs on them and mount them. You can only do that when they are in the same data center as your droplet. I believe Vultr is similar but it's possible your server doesn't have to be in the same DC.

Thanked by 1PrestigeWS
  • Alright thanks for the info! I'll try on network attached to see how well it will perform!

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    At DO they are network attached block devices so you run mkfs on them and mount them. You can only do that when they are in the same data center as your droplet. I believe Vultr is similar but it's possible your server doesn't have to be in the same DC.

Unless things have changed, the only "ready for block devices" VPS offered by Vultr are in their New Jersey location. Not sure if the storage itself is exportable across the interweb.

Thanked by 1PrestigeWS
  • WSS said: Unless things have changed, the only "ready for block devices" VPS offered by Vultr are in their New Jersey location. Not sure if the storage itself is exportable across the interweb.

I just tried it, you can only mount the Vultr storage from the same DC, i.e. NY/NJ. It does seem to work nicely though. I spun up a NY/NJ $5 instance, formatted the block storage with cryptsetup luksFormat, and mkfs'd and mounted the mapped device. This was all simpler than it used to be.

Vultr had a promo going (not sure if still) where you get 50gb of block storage for free during the rollout period. So that's what I'm using now. I can put a bunch of files there, then spin down the CPU instance, so I'm storing 50GB of stuff while not running up any instance bills at all. I don't feel likely to do that (tons of other storage servers already), but it's nice that they offer that.

Thanked by 1PrestigeWS