Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

No, not really. Shit just got got public, they've been spying for a long time.

• The Guardian being very bold with their frontpage of tomorrow's edition - http://yfrog.com/scaled/landing/163/g2jr.jpg

I'm shocked to the extent of it and will probably look at moving some of my stuff out of the US jurisdiction just for the sake for privacy.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Why I can't quote ? Permission problem...

Anyway, anyone surprised about this was living on another planet until now.
    Everyone knows the chinese are fishing off disidents from gmail and yahoo, the terrorists are caught because of webmail and other pages hosted in US or even abroad.

Unfortunately, selfhosting works to the extent you are hosting it at home... Any VPS can be hacked into at the node level and even if encrypted FS, the key will be read from memory.

You could probably use a dedi and input password at boot time, but the IPMI can be trojaned and the dedi added hardware to read the bus and memory, implicitly.

If you want your data safe you can use remotely mounted containers or exported block devices where the key is in the memory of your computer. There are some ways to hack those too, but can be avoided if careful enough.

Bottom of line, host it at home on a VM, have dban close at a touch of a button, they can still read deleted (overwritten) files on the hdd so can probably recover the data with a good investment, but if it is fully encrypted it wont help much.

One day everyone will understand that governments draw their power upon them by espionage, they can be busted for interpretetion of fiscal laws (china. Russia, US, many others) an affair (mostly US) and other small things that will ruin your career, for example.

What if US public will find out some journalist is a muslim, for example ? Or a "librul" or other civil rights activist gay ? Or that he/she is cheating their spouse or even lover ?

You can eliminate the opposition easily, rule by fear, make them resign, there is a reason why privacy is written into the constitution and in the human rights.

Remove that and everything goes to hell. We are witnessing this process right now.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

I'm shocked to the extent of it and will probably look at moving some of my stuff out of the US jurisdiction just for the sake for privacy.

Unfortunately, selfhosting works to the extent you are hosting it at home.

If you use email there really is no privacy from the US gov't. unless you never send emails to (or receive emails from) someone who has a US based email account (server in US, server owned by US company in different country, gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc).

Why I can't quote ? Permission problem...

I think they did an upgrade about an hour ago. The thank you button is now the like button.

edited to add:

Shit just got real...

Shit just got real in the mainstream (aka corporate) media like the Washington Post but the government's surveillance (specifically the NSA's) has been widely reported, and known, in non-mainstream media for years, and has already been the subject of a few lawsuits (Hepting vs ATT, filed by EFF back in January 2006 https://www.eff.org/cases/hepting )

• CoreyCorey Member

I saw this news on my local news channel yesterday and it really saddens me.

• I wonder how much pron they've had to sift through?

• Both Facebook and Google states they've never got such a programme:
    http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/what.html
    https://www.facebook.com/zuck?fref=ts

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited June 2013

I doubt they're able to acknowledge the program's existence without being dragged in front of a court and flogged, similar to the restrictions placed on the leaked Verizon order.

More to the point, in terms of Google's "no direct access" statement, one of the journos covering the Surveillance Everywhere beat was tweeting off this which could also make sense:

On the “no direct access”

—ISPs push to a separate server the subset of accounts that the FISC order covers; NSA monitors them in real time

Let’s say court order says “all Yahoo accounts in Pakistan” Yahoo would push those accounts to the server; NSA could watch them in real time

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@ihatetonyy said:
    I doubt they're able to acknowledge the program's existence

That would be treason, betrayal of the american freedom, selling to the terrorists and chinese.
    We will be having more show trials for leaked information to the enemies of the state, such as the press and the internet but I am not sure it will stop it.