Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are lowend-providers keeping out from Sweden?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are lowend-providers keeping out from Sweden?

wroxwrox Member
edited June 2013 in General

I have listed a few providers with 256MB RAM, 50GB space (if possible) and 1 virtual core, in Sweden. While going through these, I noticed EDIS is the only one providing services at a lower price. Where are the other providers in the lower-priced segment of the market in Sweden? Have I missed someone?

Glesys (OpenVZ)

• 1 vcore
  • 256MB
  • 50GB HDD
  • 50GB transfer
  • $307/per year ($25,60/per month)*

Gridlane (KVM)

• 1 vcore
  • 256MB
  • 50GB HDD
  • 1000GB transfer
  • $157/per year ($13,10/per month)*

Oderland (Xen)

• 1 vcore
  • 256MB
  • 10GB HDD
  • 100GB transfer
  • $150/per year ($12,50/per month)*

EDIS (Vserver)

• 1 vcore
  • 256MB
  • 5GB HDD
  • 1000GB transfer
  • $45/per year ($3,90/per month)*

*Exclusive 25% VAT for EU residents

Comments

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited June 2013

I think it's due to the fact that there are only a handful of datacenters that lease space, as well as high infrastructure costs. If you look at the dedicated market the prices are much higher than rest of EU.

• wroxwrox Member
    edited June 2013

@littleguy True, friend! I personally think there is enough datacenters - just not good enough marketing (many international people not hearing about them).

@Jack 2x E5-2620 with 96GB RAM goes for $384/per month while an E3-1230 with 32GB RAM goes for around $149/per month at Glesys in Falkenberg.
    They also provide colocation at (lowest) $64.

This is in south-west Sweden while Portlane is in mid-east Sweden (near or in Stockholm). I find it reasonable - no idea if it actually is, though.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@wrox I still enjoy in little OpenVZ Oderland box which is among my stablest VPSs for around 36€/y but I can't find this offer at their page anymore.

128MB RAM dedikerad (256MB RAM burstable)
    5GB utrymme för alla era filer
    100GB trafik/manad
    Möjlighet till en lagrad säkerhetskopia
    Kontrollpanel för omstarter, ominstallationer, backup m.m.
    24 timmars driftsupport via ärendesystem
    1 st. IPv4- och IPv6-adress vardera ingar

Pris 249 kr/ar exkl moms, arsvis betalning.

It seems like plenty hosts goes "cloud" route recently, writing a lot about advantages of their setup but not price increase. And talking about Sweden... Have you tryed to find anything in neighbour Norway and Finland? Even harder to get.

• wroxwrox Member
    edited June 2013

@Spirit The term 'cloud' and its "neccesity" for companies here in Sweden boomed not so long ago much like a bubble. About Norway/Denmark/Finland; believe me, I have (without luck)!

@Jack You should hit them up and see if they have any ongoing deals.

Alternatively, Adminor AB in Stockholm has colocation starting at $72/per month but has ancient hardware out for renting

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited June 2013

If anyone is interested, here is the quote I got from Portlane few weeks back.

1U Colocation

1x power slot (230W / 1Amp)

1x 1Gbps port with 25TB data transfer

1x IPMI port

/64 IPv6

Own IPv4s

COST PER MONTH: 1500 SEK (~$230)
    SETUP FEE: 500 SEK

Easily do-able for the LEB market with a E3 system. Considering but haven't came to a decision yet.

• @Jack said:
    Still pretty expensive though...

Given that

33VMs to break even on the hardware isn't too bad though.

Does that include IPs though?

Selling 33 LEB x 1TB plans with 1TB coming with HW node there :) Let's call it mega overselling.

• TurboVPS is also a Provider with VPS in Sweden..prices are in the middle Range.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

The main reason why finding LEBS in Sweden is that the companys there doesn't have to offer it at cheaper prices. They get customers anyways at the price point that they have.

If a new provider (with access directly to a DC) should offer vps at a lower price and taking pieces of the market, then maybe the other providers will follow. Only because they don't want to loose customers.