Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net kidechire EOL - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net kidechire EOL

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

Still haven't received any notice for my 2.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • blackblack Member

Ishaq said: Still haven't received any notice for my 2.

Same here. Maybe they're just phasing out the first batch of kidechire servers?

• sinsin Member

black said: Maybe they're just phasing out the first batch of kidechire servers?

I got my Kidechire during their 2nd mini sale that happened awhile after their first batch and I got the message.

• Any good deals you guys picked for replacement of those kidechire servers?
    I have 4 of them, will be great to get a deal with those 4 prices combined with good specs.

• sinsin Member

@psycholyzern said:
    Any good deals you guys picked for replacement of those kidechire servers?
    I have 4 of them, will be great to get a deal with those 4 prices combined with good specs.

I'm probably going to replace it with a $10 Wholesaleinternet server, there's also Worldstream.nl's 7.50 euro servers but you have to pay 6 months at a time.

• blackblack Member

Can anyone confirm oneprovider is still reselling kidechire's? If so, online.net might just be EOLing some kidechires for hardware replacement / selling it via oneprovider.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2017

@black said:
    Can anyone confirm oneprovider is still reselling kidechire's? If so, online.net might just be EOLing some kidechires for hardware replacement / selling it via oneprovider.

Sure. Look at the first option here: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

Meanwhile, Scaleway C1 is no longer an option. For a few months now, when you try to archive a C1 server, you risk looking all the data and never boot that volume again. They have a bug marked with Low Severity for quite some time (regarding volumes), but strangely it seems only related to C1 (if anyone has a C1, it's better to keep it running and never hard reboot or archive it). Bug Link: https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=851

Online.Net was a good option while it lasted. Lately they provided offers that could not be obtained (Black Friday downtime and 2.5 minutes deal), Kidechires removed (but sold with OneProvider), Scaleway with bugs on ARM storage, and so on. Call me crazy, but it seems to me that slowly they want to move away from the Low End market.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @default said:

@black said:

Sure. Look at the first option here: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

Meanwhile, Scaleway C1 is no longer an option. For a few months now, when you try to archive a C1 server, you risk looking all the data and never boot that volume again. They have a bug marked with Low Severity for quite some time (regarding volumes), but strangely it seems only related to C1 (if anyone has a C1, it's better to keep it running and never hard reboot or archive it). Bug Link: https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=851

Online.Net was a good option while it lasted. Lately they provided offers that could not be obtained (Black Friday downtime and 2.5 minutes deal), Kidechires removed (but sold with OneProvider), Scaleway with bugs on ARM storage, and so on. Call me crazy, but it seems to me that slowly they want to move away from the Low End market.

The bug you're linking has high severity. Dont know if they changed it recently though.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2017

Yes. That Scaleway bug was changed recently, today.

• default said: For a few months now, when you try to archive a C1 server, you risk looking all the data and never boot that volume again.

Just copy off the files by scp the usual way.

• stabstab Member

I remember my butthurt when these came out and I didn't get one, so I can't help but feel a little schadenfreude right now.

• stab said:

I remember my butthurt when these came out and I didn't get one,

The C1? It works great, unless you need that archive feature I guess. I wouldn't use it partly because the C1 is usually out of stock. You can get them with a bit of persistence but you can't necessarily just spin it back up as soon as you want it again. Also they're cheap enough that it's no big deal to leave it always on. Mine currently has something like 166 days of uptime. I don't remember why I rebooted it 5.5 months ago.

• That 10Euro oneprovider is a better value than the SC2016

• sexbombsexbomb Member
    edited April 2017

change of plans.

• qoleyqoley Member

still selling?

• sinsin Member

Looks like they replaced my kidechire with one of those servers with the bad drives =/

root@sd-117701:~# ioping . -c 10
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=1 time=15.5 ms (warmup)
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=2 time=35.9 ms
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=3 time=15.2 ms
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=4 time=196.9 ms
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=5 time=281.9 ms
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=6 time=234.3 ms
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=7 time=14.4 ms (fast)
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=8 time=23.7 ms (fast)
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=9 time=33.5 ms
    4 KiB <<< . (ext4 /dev/sda2): request=10 time=48.4 ms

--- . (ext4 /dev/sda2) ioping statistics ---
    9 requests completed in 884.3 ms, 36 KiB read, 10 iops, 40.7 KiB/s
    generated 10 requests in 9.05 s, 40 KiB, 1 iops, 4.42 KiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 14.4 ms / 98.3 ms / 281.9 ms / 101.1 ms
    root@sd-117701:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 104.239 s, 10.3 MB/s

Everything is super slow. I'll be buying another Worldstream dedi instead.

• vimalware said:

That 10Euro oneprovider is a better value than the SC2016

Again that's comparing a limited stock promo with a regular offer. The Oneprovider server is long since out of stock.

sin said: Everything is super slow.

Wow if that's an SC then it's problematic.

• sinsin Member

willie said: Wow if that's an SC then it's problematic.

Yeah I remember seeing people with the same issue on here, supposedly there's a disk issue Online.net never fixed. I haven't paid for the server though and it was unlikely that I was going to keep it so I'm not really upset about it. It does make the server crazy slow though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2017

willie said: comparing a limited stock promo with a regular offer.

Well it's not our fault they chose to replace our (very limited and sought after) promo servers with just a mediocre regular offer.

sin said: supposedly there's a disk issue Online.net never fixed

Yes on mine I have 30, 28 and 10 MB/sec dd speeds right now.

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2017

rm_ said:

Well it's not our fault they chose to replace our (very limited and sought after) promo servers with just a mediocre regular offer.

The replacement was a bit better than the regular version since there was no setup fee and the first month was free, but ok. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the promo server to be replaced with another amazing promo deal, or to be repaired endlessly long after the hardware is obsolete. I can sympathize a bit more with a desire to leave existing Kidechires running until they actually fail, which could work for a while until dwindling numbers caused logistic problems.

Another alternative might be to offer to swap the Kidechires for Scaleways with comparable resources (e.g. Scaleway VC1 or C1 with some HDD space, or even with the standard 50GB SSD). I know people like dedis though, and I think they're trying to get rid of the C1's. Maybe Scaleway is too separated from Online organizationally for that to work though.

I'm pretty happy with my Scaleway C1 (3 euro/month) and I don't think I'd trade it for a Kidechire if offered one. The C1 and VC1 are both faster and have more iops than a Kidechire, though less raw disk capacity (you can add more though, 1 eur/m per 50GB network). You can still get C1's if you're a bit persistent. And there are still 4-5 eur/m x86 dedis at Digicube, maybe comparable to a Kidechire depending on the use case; KS1's are obtainable with a bit of effort, etc.

So I still think people are whining too much about this.

willie said: to be replaced with another amazing promo deal

At least a half decent one, OR even this one but discounted more than just the no setup fee thing.

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2017

Hmm, well maybe. The SC has 3x the cpu of the Kidechire, 2x the ram, and 6x the storage, though I forgot it was 9 eur/m (thought it was 6). The Scaleway C1 or VC1 have about 2x the Kidechire cpu (though it's ARM), same ram, 50GB of SSD NBD instead of 160GB of local HDD, so I'd say it's close to an even trade. I'd think a small discount or a few free months on one of those would have left little to complain about.

The XC at 6 eur/month in the last promo was imho more attractive than the Kidechire unless you wanted the cheapest possible dedi no matter what. They were available for a rather long time and I decided to pass, and have regretted that some. I just don't understand what was so great about the Kidechires beyond the wow factor of a (crappy) dedi for 2 euro.

a few free months

...just make you cancel after those are over, but a good recurring discount makes you hold onto the server long term.

• So, anyone made up their mind and gonna keep SC server?
    Im thinking to keep 1 because of dedicated 1gbit connection (they confirmed to me that I can abuse it 24/7), and big disk.
    But Im confused with my decision when I read all those bad review in this thread. Duhh.
    Using it for file storage wouldnt be bad, right?

• 1TB of non-raid file storage for 9 eur/m is ok but not great. I don't think you'll really be able to slam out 1gb/s 24/7 (that's 300+TB/m) but lots of people are apparently pushing 30 TB without incident.

If you just want storage and don't need a dedi or monstrous egress bandwidth, there are better deals around.

• @psycholyzern said:
    So, anyone made up their mind and gonna keep SC server?
    Im thinking to keep 1 because of dedicated 1gbit connection (they confirmed to me that I can abuse it 24/7), and big disk.
    But Im confused with my decision when I read all those bad review in this thread. Duhh.
    Using it for file storage wouldnt be bad, right?

I just cancelled mine

• @willie said:
    1TB of non-raid file storage for 9 eur/m is ok but not great. I don't think you'll really be able to slam out 1gb/s 24/7 (that's 300+TB/m) but lots of people are apparently pushing 30 TB without incident.

If you just want storage and don't need a dedi or monstrous egress bandwidth, there are better deals around.

The 1gbps 24/7 will be just a bonus for me tbh. I'm gonna host a seedbox that will be using around 2tB bw a month. With the fast and a lot of bw, I can use the box for something else too, like mirroring my files for public download (I already have 2 servers for that, this can be my 3rd). Seeding some good things like linux ISOs will be cool too.

I'm seeing people said SC is a bad server, but I couldnt see from which aspect it is bad. Is it the price for the hardware? Or the hardware itself is bad?

I'm not an expert about hardware, what I do is just use them. So, right now what can I say is that the SC is kinda nice, plus with no setup fee. I am already using 2 SC servers about a week. Testing stuff and mess up the servers. No weird issue yet. Online's servers have been a good place for pirating stuff too LOL.

I'm open to any words from you guys as I'm not an expert and just say. But, ofcourse I cancelled all 3 of them. Still in consideration to abort the cancellation for just 1 server.

• psycholyzern said:

I'm seeing people said SC is a bad server, but I couldnt see from which aspect it is bad. Is it the price for the hardware? Or the hardware itself is bad?

I wouldn't say it's bad, it's just not great.

• The CPU is pretty slow, two Atom cores. It will be slower than the single shared E5 thread you'd get in a typical cheap VPS, though of course you can max out the dedi as much as you want.

• The disk is 1TB with no raid, so you need to copy the stuff somewhere, though if it's just iso's then you can presumably download them again if something happens. Anything important will have to be copied somewhere. You do get 100gb of free ftp space that could be good for that. You can buy another 650gb for 5 euro but that's not great.

• If you just want a TB of storage and don't plan to seed torrents or anything i/o or bandwidth heavy, there are storage vps's in the 5 euro/month range or lower, especially if you'll take yearly deals. Or you can get sftp space from Hetzner for 4-5 euro/TB monthly in the 2TB and up sizes. If it's stuff you want to archive long term, Online C14 Standard and OVH Cloud Archive are 0.002 eur/GB for storage though the upload and download fees are much higher (0.01/GB).

• If you can pay a little more the XC 2016 has 4x the cpu and ram of the SC, and has gigabit connectivity to Online's RPN internal network, though it costs 16 euro and RPN is only useful if you have more servers on it. Plus you'd have to pay a setup fee (20 eur) which you don't have to pay for the SC if it replaces a Kidechire.

• Interestingly, it looks like all the "Start" range Online servers with hard disks have been discontinued except for the ST8 storage server.

For alternatives at somewhat higher prices than the SC, you could look at Hetzner auction servers, Worldstream.nl, and other usual suspects. Also you might be able to get a Kimsufi KS1 if you're a bit persistent. Sign up at https://check.ovh/ to get notifications of when they're available. That might be an attractive alternative to the SC, depending. Look also at the low end digicube.fr servers.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @willie said:

Thanks you so much for spending your time to write all those stuff. I will definitely looking through your suggestion.

edited April 2017

Remember today is the last day to cancel the "replacement" servers without getting charged for the next month.