Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net kidechire EOL - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net kidechire EOL

Comments

• Neoon said: The point is, that the "upgrade" as they call it, is basically shit. In terms of price/performance/mem ratio.

No, it's not. It is a dedicated server with a benchmark rank ~1000, 1 TB hard disc, plenty of memory and unlimited Gbit ethernet connection. And it is dedicated, with a cpu having vt-x capabilities and an infrastructure with ipmi.
    Send me a cheaper offer out there or a same offer with better specs and I will buy 3 of them!
    Shit CPU? it depends on the need. Do you have a hungry app? Grab an E3 core of a vps. But it will be shared. Do you need dedicated core? Can you find a decent one with unlimited Gbit and 1TB hard drive?
    Shit memory? 4 GB dedicated to you.
    Shit performance? There is no any cheaper alternative in the dedicated market. Nowhere - and I have searched a lot!
    And, yes, it is an upgrade: the kidechires do have <400 Benchmark with a single core. Is it worse than a 2 core cpu with ~1000 benchmark? I don't think so.
    Realise that the kidechires was an one-time-off thing from online.net. I suppose it was a combination of marketing tactics and test of their labs and infrastructure. 9€ price for this dedicated server is not bad at all. Don't compare ANY offer with the 2€ Kidechire.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2017

@jvnadr said:

Neoon said: The point is, that the "upgrade" as they call it, is basically shit. In terms of price/performance/mem ratio.

No, it's not. It is a dedicated server with a benchmark rank ~1000, 1 TB hard disc, plenty of memory and unlimited Gbit ethernet connection. And it is dedicated, with a cpu having vt-x capabilities and an infrastructure with ipmi.
    Send me a cheaper offer out there or a same offer with better specs and I will buy 3 of them!

No, No No.

Do you remeber KS3C for 8.99? It destroys the offer from online.net.

Since the kidechire was a limited offer for 1.99, I count that in.

And as you mention gbit a few times, its basically 100Mbit.

Lemme explain, 24 kidechires are connected to a Switch with 1Gbit Uplink, we had already several posts about that they throttle people or tell them to fuck off.

Its just 100Mbit with Burst for a few mins to 1000Mbit.

And yes the kidechire is a good offer, it has 160GB HDD, 400 bench cpu, Gbit port, and cost just 1.99, I would even beat an Atom from OVH for 5EUR if you dont need 340GB additional storage and the 200 cpu points more.

Shit CPU? it depends on the need. Do you have a hungry app? Grab an E3 core of a vps. But it will be shared. Do you need dedicated core? Can you find a decent one with unlimited Gbit and 1TB hard drive?

Shit memory? 4 GB dedicated to you.
    Shit performance? There is no any cheaper alternative in the dedicated market. Nowhere - and I have searched a lot!

In terms of offers that drop, its shit. Its not in a special location otherwise I would count that in, its france.
    And again, its not unlimited Gbit, its 100Mbit.

And, yes, it is an upgrade: the kidechires do have <400 Benchmark with a single core. Is it worse than a 2 core cpu with ~1000 benchmark? I don't think so.

For the Price ratio is an expensive upgrade, kidechires had a sweet spot but that no.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Neoon We agree that we don't agree.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

It's Amazing what some people are expecting while paying so little. Just wow.

@Clouvider said:
    It's Amazing what some people are expecting while paying so little. Just wow.

I just compare 2 offers and one is crap, so simple is that.

Why should I pay more?

If OVH comes and drops a better offer with better specs and lower price, I gonna pick it up.
    Obviously for that Price, you need to do all stuff by yourself just when you have hardware failures you may drop a ticket.

Thanked by 2rm_ default
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

jvnadr said: 1 TB hard disc

Out of curiosity did you check hard disk IO performance (write speed) on yours yet?

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2017

@jvnadr said:
    OK. Many of you call a "rape" the drop of the 2 euros (OH MY GOD, TWO EUROS!!!!) dedicated server promo that lasted 2 years and the offer of a NINE EUROS PER MONTH WITHOUT SETUP FEES of a server with almost 1000 benchmark!
    If this is a rape, why don't you abandon Online.net and try your luck to another provider? Let's see if you can find a better offer in other places...
    Does Online.net want to keep some of the 2€/m clients with a profitable service (as we all know the 2€ servers were not profitable at all for them, they probably run them with loss)? Yes. They are not charity. Does online.net put a gun in your head to rent it? No. They even offer you a free month to test it and see if it fits to your needs.
    I am also sad for loosing my kidechires (in fact, I got the email for one of my three servers). But it was perfect for as long it lasted and I thank online.net for this incredible offer.

Not many, i went overboard and called it rape, mostly because i was psychotic (i intend to be even more so in future) over something else completely unrelated, but even if so, i expressed a valid opinion in regards to creating high expectations and also forcing upon customers.

As i stated, i don't even have a kidechire.

Anyhow, let's say i lease you some land and you pay me 3000 euro per year for it and we're fine. One day after many years of successful business together i come to you and say from now on, you'll pay me 9000 eur per year for the same land and i'll throw in a small wooden shack for you, but if you don't accept my new offer you'll have to leave within a month. No negotiations.

Wouldn't you think i am forcing my way upon you?

Wouldn't you think i am kinda dick?

You don't corner people you value, including your customers. You give them suitable choices. Customers need to make their own decision of broadening their business with you based upon long term trust and increase of demand, not by force.
    It's the principle that matters.
    Otherwise is like racket.

I hope i made my point a bit clearer.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2017

rm_ said: Out of curiosity did you check hard disk IO performance (write speed) on yours yet?

No, I haven't yet install it. I dunno if I will keep it, but I'll definately check it sometime in the weekend if I manage to find some spare time (we are prepairing a 4 hour live tv show broadcast next week and I'm searching even for time to sleep...)

• online.fr rang me earlier to ask about me cancelling lol. did they ring anyone else?

• Neoon said:

I just compare 2 offers and one is crap, so simple is that. Why should I pay more?

Can you get the other one? (Answer: no). Do you know how fast those KS3C's sold out? Both were a crapshoot. You got lucky with one of them, doesn't mean you can expect to be lucky twice. It's like winning a raffle. Of course that's better than paying retail but it doesn't happen every day.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • sinsin Member

jvnadr said: No, I haven't yet install it.

Same :) I haven't even turned the thing on yet, it's just sitting there. I'm still setting up another dedi but I'll play around the with Online.net afterwards.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited March 2017

Some of my observations:

• Only 2 of my 4 kidéchires have had the bait & switch upgrade done so far. I don't know the logic behind how they were chosen, but they have the two lower sd-xxxxx numbers. I expect the higher numbered ones will happen soon.

• I just realized that the two replacement Dedibox SC are in the AMS1 datacenter. Kidéchires were all in DC3. So, my hardware and country has been changed.

• I don't plan to keep any of the replacements but will probably just buy 1 more failover IP and consolidate the functions into another VM on the bigger box with them. (It would have been nice if they waived the setup fee on this option as well).

• Some stats from these "End of Life" kidéchires:
      up 723 days, 19:20, 1 user, load average: 0.41, 1.42, 0.97 up 618 days, 5 min, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.07, 0.12 up 531 days, 14:09, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.09, 0.09 up 214 days, 15:20, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.08, 0.07

This was the perfect kick in the teeth incentive I needed to spend a bit less $$$ with Online.net and direct it to other providers.

Goodbye sweet kidéchires, you will be sorely missed!

willie said: Do you know how fast those KS3C's sold out?

Last time they were available for a good few hours. And even if you didn't get an i5, the i3 model is still a better deal.

• Hmm, well, ok. Here are some Atoms starting at 4 euro/month on annual payment:

http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Anyone with a AMS1 server (Mine are DC3) could you PM me your IP? I would like to see latency.
    DC3 is 50ms higher than DC2 for me.

bohdans said: Anyone with a AMS1 server (Mine are DC3) could you PM me your IP? I would like to see latency.

Use 51.15.2.1

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • shyaminayeshshyaminayesh Member
    edited March 2017

for those who didn't get the email from online.net ( including me )

Hello,

>

Your server is in eol, I confirm you. As we have lot of servers in this same range, we can not do it in same time, we began migration for october 2016.

We will propose you to migrate as soon but not now for you.

We will propose you to switch on a server in the same range sc 2016.

Regards

Vincent R.

• Did you get your replacement Dedibox SC SATA 2016 in DC2 or AMS1?

• davidavi Member

I do not know what to do with my two replacement Dedibox SC SATA 2016. So if anyone interested, I can install vestacp and can give free 500 GB storage account with ftp access for one month only as I have already cancelled them. PM me if you need free 500 GB ftp vestacp account for one month only. I will do this setup tomorrow if needed.

• @bene_online give us Dedibox® XC 2016 (8gb ram acceptable) for 8.99/m and we have a deal :) come on. we are the special guys who got worlds cheapest dedicated servers. you want our title. it must have some benefits.

• FuslFusl Member

Let me just compare that:

Provider: Online.net
    Product:  Dedibox® kidéchire
    CPU:      377 points
    RAM:      2 GB
    HDD:      160 GB
    NET:      Dedicated 100 Mbit/s,
              Burstable 1 Gbit/s,
              "Unmetered" (100 Mbit/s permanently = 32 TB)
    Price €:  1.99
    CPU/€:    189.45 points
    RAM/€:    1 GB
    HDD/€:    80 GB

Provider: Online.net
    Product:  Dedibox® SC 2016
    CPU:      898 points
    RAM:      4 GB
    HDD:      1 TB
    NET:      Dedicated 100 Mbit/s,
              Burstable 1 Gbit/s,
              "Unmetered" (100 Mbit/s permanently = 32 TB)
    Price €:  8.99
    CPU/€:    99.89 points
    RAM/€:    445 MB
    HDD/€:    111 GB

Provider: Hetzner
    Product:  Server Bidding (SB33)
    CPU:      9445 points
    RAM:      16 GB
    HDD:      2 TB
    NET:      Dedicated 1 Gbit/s,
              No burstable tricks shit,
              20 TB
    Price €:  33.27
    CPU/€:    283.89 points
    RAM/€:    480 MB
    HDD/€:    60 GB

Ignore the more expensive hard disk and you got your cheaper RAM and CPU. Fact is that the kidéchire was a very good CPU+RAM deal for just €1.99 and beats even the Hetzner box RAM wise.

When I get an upgrade forced by my provider, I expect an equal priced offer or a better deal, same as how IP-Projects and Hetzner does it: Replace the hardware with a better hardware but don't increase the god damn price!!1!

Thanked by 1default
    edited March 2017

@willie said:

Neoon said:

I just compare 2 offers and one is crap, so simple is that. Why should I pay more?

Can you get the other one? (Answer: no). Do you know how fast those KS3C's sold out? Both were a crapshoot. You got lucky with one of them, doesn't mean you can expect to be lucky twice. It's like winning a raffle. Of course that's better than paying retail but it doesn't happen every day.

You know that the Kidechire was also limited stock?

Even when you go that way, Hetzner, still destroys it for less then 30 Bucks.

Arround 9k benchmark for 30 Bucks. Online is charging you 9EUR for 1k.

Thanked by 2rm_ BeardyUnixGuy
  • xyzxyz Member
    edited April 2017

Have personally pushed 35-40TB/month upload on a SC2016, no throttling, with no complaints from Online.net, so unlikely that 32TB is the limit of the server.

It's on a 2.5Gbps NIC and they claim "1Gbps guaranteed", so presumably is actually 1Gbps unmetered if you can push it that far (then again, who knows how Online's bandwidth policy works).

Kidéchire is likely 1Gbps with 100Mbps limit, as they tend to do that with their cheaper specials.

Also I find that CPUBenchmark tends to overrate hyper-threading - CPUs with HT often seem to bench 50% higher than without, where I'd personally rate the benefit of HT much lower (20-30% seems more reasonable).
    That and the fact that beyond a certain point, I rarely find CPU to be a bottleneck for typical server workloads. The fact that Hetzner gives you two disks in their auctioned servers is a much greater deal IMO.

• Neoon said:

You know that the Kidechire was also limited stock?

Of course, that's the point. People who got them were lucky. Then they act like it was a regular product and expect other regular products to be priced the same way.

Obviously the SC isn't a CPU beast. The XC isn't that bad if you can use all 8 cores. The Hetzner is much faster and has 2 disks, but costs more etc. So you can choose from what's available that best fits your requirements, or maybe wish for some unavailable configuration that's priced on the same basis as existing regular stuff. Expecting to get everything at promo pricing whenever you want it is unrealistic.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • i think all kidechire based threads should be deleted on let.
    online.net made a lot of cash through "indirect" let based advertising. they should at least pay 10k a month to the let staff, cause they have no real marketing beside the let posts. first the blackfriday scam and now that shit.

Butters said: i think all kidechire based threads should be deleted on let. online.net made a lot of cash through "indirect" let based advertising. they should at least pay 10k a month to the let staff, cause they have no real marketing beside the let posts. first the blackfriday scam and now that shit.

Fortunately LET is not run by people like you, who would solely care about cash in cash out and advertising, but also about making it a nice place for people to gather and discuss the most interesting events in the low end server market, that's why it goes on strongly over the years despite various competitors appearing or splitting off and then failing.

• Anyone successfully cancel the termination?

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited April 2017

I've only been issued two of the new boxes (but I have more Kidechaire's than that). Are they possibly not cancelling all the Kidechaire's?

I also see under 'services' that 2 boxes are set to terminate, but the others are set to 'active' with no expiry...

edited April 2017

jeromeza said: I've only been issued two of the new boxes (but I have more Kidechaire's than that). Are they possibly not cancelling all the Kidechaire's?

Definitely cancelling all sooner or later, but since it seems they want to give a full month's worth of notice, I would expect the next batch of cancellations to be announced closer to the end of April, and those servers set to expire on 1st June. (And so on, if any remain afterwards)

• @rm_ said:

jeromeza said: I've only been issued two of the new boxes (but I have more Kidechaire's than that). Are they possibly not cancelling all the Kidechaire's?

Definitely cancelling all sooner or later, but since it seems they want to give a full month's worth of notice, I would expect the next batch of cancellations to be announced closer to the end of April, and those servers set to expire on 1st June. (And so on, if any remain afterwards)

Thanks - pity the price has quadrupled. I'd like to stay with online.net but i'm not sure I want to pay 4x the price.

I'll have to sleep on it.