Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP 5.3.9 released! (Really good news)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP 5.3.9 released! (Really good news)

yomeroyomero Member
edited January 2012 in General

Well, I have noticed today

http://www.php.net

DotDeb already updated their packages, for the people that uses it (I started recently).

Remember to reinstall php5-suhosin, it seems that the new version uninstalls it.

Also, in regards of this:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/22447#Comment_22447

Is fixed with the new release.

And for the PHP5-FPM fans, they have released the new "ondemand" scheduling, which allows to specify the max number of children and a timeout to kill them if you don't need that children anymore. That won't let you spare childrens when your server is idling :D

IMHO is very very much better than the dynamic scheduler.

So, have fun. I am having it

PS:I was about to apply the ondemand patch today in the 5.3.8 trunk :D But now we have the 5.3.9 stable!

Comments

• Some new testing on my to-do list :-)

• apt-get dist-upgrade, then re-install suhosin.

(For those who might run into a head-scratcher).

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

CHILD MURDERER.

Francisco

Thanked by 2djvdorp jamson
  • @Francisco said: CHILD MURDERER.

LOL!

• Just installed on my Ubuntu =) It just worked =D

• I'll install this from Homebrew later or compile it from source.

I liked that PHP-FPM didn't have a max on the amount of children you could spawn and use

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2012

@Daniel said: I liked that PHP-FPM didn't have a max on the amount of children you could spawn and use

pm.max_children ? It's still there.

Just upgraded my dev box using dotdeb. Nothing to it, everything just works.

The new www.conf config file came configured same as previous versions -- using the 'dynamic' process model. Needed to edit it to enable the new 'ondemand' model.

What's the overhead I wonder for spinning up and killing off php-fpm processes?

• @sleddog said: pm.max_children ? It's still there.

Indeed, that is necessary for the new ondemand.

@sleddog said: What's the overhead I wonder for spinning up and killing off php-fpm processes?

Maybe the only slowdown will be at the first petition, when the process is created.

• I've just updated via apt-get and I didn't have to reinstall php5-suhosin.

• KeithKeith Member
    edited January 2012

I've just used apt-get install php5-suhosin which updated all the php5 packages.
    php5-suhosin was already installed.

• apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

Works for me...

• I recommend this subreddit to all of you: reddit.com/r/lolphp

• lbftlbft Member
    edited January 2012

Dotdeb seems to have fixed the issue with the php5-suhosin weirdness.

I installed 5.3.9-1~dotdeb.1 when I saw this thread, then a while later I got an email from cron-apt on one of my VPSes that 5.3.9-1~dotdeb.2 was available, and when I just did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade it installed 5.3.9-1~dotdeb.3. That's probably why different people saw different results.

• @lbft said: Dotdeb seems to have fixed the issue with the php5-suhosin weirdness.

Yep, I got the updates, no suhosin uninstalling. Maybe was just that change? :P

• I have few low traffic WordPress website, should I install php5-suhosin or not? :-s Because when I installed PHP 5.3.9 via dotdeb repo, 1 of my VPS got php5-suhosin installed, the others didn't.

• Suhosin is a security patch, that's all. Read more about it.

• @yomero said: Suhosin is a security patch, that's all. Read more about it.

I ran apt-get update; apt-get upgrade and suhosin were automatic installed ;)