Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100Mbps on 1Gbps at 95th percentile
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100Mbps on 1Gbps at 95th percentile

So I was trying to discuss this with level3 but they don't seem to be giving me a direct answer as to how much transfer I actually have.

If I am getting a 100Mbps on 1Gbps Uplink at 95th percentile what is my included transfer?

I'm debating if I should get the 1G on 10G port but at the same time I do not understand what my included transfer is for either of them how would I calculate this?

Comments

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

It is variable based on your usage patterns. With 95th percentile you throw out the top 5% of data usage for a month, so for 5% of the month you could blast out the full port speed, but still be at 100Mbps if the remaining data points were at 100Mbps or less.

As for what 100Mbps is in data transferred, it could be in theory 32.4TB if you transferred exactly 100Mbps constantly 24x7 in a 30 day month:

(100Mbps x 60 seconds in a minute x 60 minutes in an hour x 24 hours in a day x 30 days / 8 bits in a byte (this converts from Megabits to Megabytes) / 1000 megabytes in a gigabyte / 1000 gigabytes in a terabyte)

Practically speaking, it is going to be nearly impossible to transfer that level of data and stay under 100Mbps 95th percentile.

There are many, many articles out there that explain this in detail. I would recommend reading some of them.

Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Not pouting fingers, and you're not our competition, but It is slightly scary to see a would be provider asking very basic questions and relying on LET to help.

Thanked by 1Bopie
  • @KeKe, don't get any percentile plan, since it can stick you with humongous overage bills. Check into how they work. Get a fixed amount of bandwidth on a fast port, or a fixed speed unlimited port at a speed you can afford.

edited March 2017

@willie said:
    @KeKe, don't get any percentile plan, since it can stick you with humongous overage bills. Check into how they work. Get a fixed amount of bandwidth on a fast port, or a fixed speed unlimited port at a speed you can afford.

With Level3 :D?
    Welcome to the real world of carriers, bandwidth providers, contracts and business.

Thanked by 3marrco Bopie vimalware
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Clouvider said:

@willie said:
    @KeKe, don't get any percentile plan, since it can stick you with humongous overage bills. Check into how they work. Get a fixed amount of bandwidth on a fast port, or a fixed speed unlimited port at a speed you can afford.

With Level3 :D?
    Welcome to the real world of carriers, bandwidth providers, contracts and business.

In that case, one can go with a second tier provider and does not have to worry about managing every aspect of the network.

edited March 2017

@AlexBarakov yeah, but if one aims to push larger quantities down the line, getting into contract with billing per GB will be an act of self-harm that will result in overpaying for transit in 99.9% cases.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @Clouvider said:
    Not pouting fingers, and you're not our competition, but It is slightly scary to see a would be provider asking very basic questions and relying on LET to help.

What do you suppose I do? Create a new account and ask the question like most people do to act like they know it all when they dont? I don't see a problem in asking things I don't know not to mention I read a lot but I seriously couldn't find a conclusive answer to this question I asked.

• KeKe said: What do you suppose I do?

google first, ask specific question later

https://www.hostdime.com/blog/95th-percentile-billing/

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@sibaper said:

KeKe said: What do you suppose I do?

https://www.hostdime.com/blog/95th-percentile-billing/

This, and don't learn on your Customers.

• when you will be opening your server business?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

If just starting why not use the colo providers in house mix and add a carrier down the road?

• CoreyCorey Member

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    If just starting why not use the colo providers in house mix and add a carrier down the road?

Every colo provider charges for a cross connect. If you aren't using their in house mix and giving them some profit there they have to make money somewhere.

For example; If you got with a colo provider on an amazing 'deal' with 1mbit 95th on 100mbit port, but later decide you want to get cogents cheap bandwidth($1/mbit) instead of upgrading your datacenter's expensive bandwidth($20/mbit) your datacenter will still want a cut of you bypassing them.

• sibaper said:

As a separate issue, if you're not on top of these basic topics already, you're not ready to run a hosting business. You might work at one for a while in order to learn the ropes. Otherwise you will have to hire tech staff to deal with things for you. You can't expect LET to be your tech staff.

• @dedicados said:
    when you will be opening your server business?

No official release date yet weeks off still getting personnel needed.

• BopieBopie Member

@KeKe said:

@dedicados said:
    when you will be opening your server business?

No official release date yet weeks off still getting personnel needed.

Please don't consider me to be rude but please tell me you got the "weeks off" mistaken for 6 months+ some of the questions you have asked are somewhat very basic questions and some I will give it to you are somewhat complex however, it seems to me that you lack the prior knowledge to run a hosting business which don't get me wrong at some point all of us did and in fact I myself am still learning, I mean who doesn't however, the best advice I can give you is setup a home lab or even if you can afford to run the refurb servers you were buying in a DC for 12 months and take the hit to your pocket and in that time simply learn everything that you asked on here, that is what I would/have done.

You see I myself am no expert and honestly, there are much more knowledgeable people who have commented here i.e clouvider but don't rush anything as I can promise you the hosting industry will give you a constant migraine and a constant hand in your wallet